Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheater cam w/ everything else stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ls6 cam and springs should be good for 150k under normal driving remember the light ls6 valves allow for longer service
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you OP. I had to do lifters on my car, and so while in there I did the Comp xr265hr cam, comp lifters, along with hardened pushrods, retainers, 915 beehive springs, new chain (just stock ls1 style-nothing fancy), gaskets, and I kept the stock oil pump but replaced the pickup o' ring. If you are going to be doing road courses, the ls6 oil pump has been known to pump the oil pan dry quickly (not good for excessive cornering-it leaves it dry...). I chose this small cam (212/218 - .522/.529 114 lsa) because I still had to work with the stock stall and exhaust manifolds. I had it tuned (although it ran good without tune) and have only mild mods (stock ls6 intake, slp lid/k&n filter, slp dual/dual catback, tune, custom 3" y pipe...). This cam works great!!! It feels like stock from idle, and builds from there right on up to redline. It sounds good and pulls like a beast now with absolutely NO driveability issues. Nuzee on here has had success with this cam as well as others. It trumps the ls6 cams (especialy if you're sans converter for the time being).

This is a cam that I can easily add headers and stall to as well as stock 243 heads for a real fun time (when money permits). I wouldn't normally suggest going so small, but sometimes you just want to upgrade **** while you're in there, and so this is a good selection that will provide great longetivity (spring life, trans life too-since you don't have to spin it to extreme rpms w/stall to get power out of her). The car just pulls way harder and sounds pretty good too, all things considered. I would not change my mind if I had to do it again, put it that way. Just my .02 cents, I like small cams in these cars when running stock converter. Later on, a converter will only wake it up more.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I had the 212/218 cam in my 5.3, a 6 liter and two cams ago. I think that I would go bigger, it wasn't satisfying for long.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I can see that too But then really, mods seldom are.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright heres the cam i've decided on the cheatr cam. Here's the link for 2 packages that im looking at. http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...946.html#P2467

Should i go with dual springs?

Im not real sure if i should just go ahead and buy the second package or not because im not sure what springs they offer with that package i should buy. It says it includes titaniun retainers and dual springs. 10% off ends at midnight tonight so i need to decide quickly...

Last edited by sneaky7980; 05-15-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
i vote ls6 cam.

ls6 cam/springs would be cheaper than just the cheatr cam itself. not to mention, the ls6 setup was made to work under warranty and last 100k+ miles. the cheatr cam has very aggressive lobes that require a good aftermarket spring (which requires checking and changing annually should you dd this vehicle). just food for thought.

yes the ls6 cam is smaller. will it net the same hp as a cheatr? i don't know, but i have seen a few ls6 cams put down over 370whp with headers and supporting bolt-ons. i think a properly done ls6 cam swap would net you plenty of power and provide years of problem/maintenance free use.
This fella has it right. Unless you want to add spring changes to your maintenance schedule, stick with the LS6 or the Hot Cam. Added benefit is that they can be found for cheap. Having had an auto AND a six speed (both in the same car), a stall will net you more gain. If you're OK adding springs as a regular deal, then look to PatG/EPS to spec you a cam.

You know this, but this is not a true "while I'm in there" deal. You still need to do the springs, pushrods, and lifters. If you already had need to replace the oil pump and balancer, there is something else concerning going on IMHO.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Alright heres the cam i've decided on the cheatr cam. Here's the link for 2 packages that im looking at. http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...946.html#P2467

Should i go with dual springs?

Im not real sure if i should just go ahead and buy the second package or not because im not sure what springs they offer with that package i should buy. It says it includes titaniun retainers and dual springs. 10% off ends at midnight tonight so i need to decide quickly...
That seems like a real nice kit. I'd go with the dual springs.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't replacing lifters necessary too on a high mileage car?????
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmilz28
This fella has it right. Unless you want to add spring changes to your maintenance schedule, stick with the LS6 or the Hot Cam. Added benefit is that they can be found for cheap. Having had an auto AND a six speed (both in the same car), a stall will net you more gain. If you're OK adding springs as a regular deal, then look to PatG/EPS to spec you a cam.

You know this, but this is not a true "while I'm in there" deal. You still need to do the springs, pushrods, and lifters. If you already had need to replace the oil pump and balancer, there is something else concerning going on IMHO.
OP-I like your choices!
Hot cam, seriously? Why would he do that, just wondering? How long do you think I'll get out of these 915 springs with the comp 212/218 (low lift ver. ~.530 lift) cam? I think it has proven to be a nice setup for spring life in countless applications (especially the truck scene). Just curious on your thoughts and I think I misread your post the first time so I deleted my original reply. I know the ls6 when paired with the lightweight valves are nice for longetivity, but what about with stock ls1 valves. How does the ls6 cam only swap compare to the comp 212/218 114 swap for spring life in your opinion? I'm thinking with the xe lobes I should be good for some time. Sorry for the
Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

If I had to guess because that's really anyone can do with this type of question is 50k miles
Old 05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
If I had to guess because that's really anyone can do with this type of question is 50k miles
Yeah I know it's a guessing game, just like an a4 fbody trans or m6 10 bolt. I actually started up a thread on the subject, and just wanted a few edumacated guess . Thanks man.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good info in this thread. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Don't rule out a Patrick G / EPS cam. I had him spec one for me. I told him it would be a true DD and I needed it to be reliable and I don't want to have change valve springs every year. He assured me that I would get 50k out of a set of pac 1518 springs. I was very happy with the specs that he came up with for me...similar to an EPS cam but with somewhat less lift. So you might want to give him a try. Can't tell you how it performs yet...it's going into an S10, so there is lots of other work to be done. But in the end, I'm glad I went this route instead of an off the shelf cam

Last edited by br408408; 05-17-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running the same cam as Oddwraith with yellow LS3 springs, hand ported 241s, 96mm cheap PP intake, SLP lid, ported and sealed LS2 intake/injectors, cats removed, cheap ebay shorty headers...

I love it and I agree with everything Oddwraith said. I live at 4700 ft and I break my tires out at will. The car is fun and easy to drive. If/when I blow up the transmission, I'll get a 2800 stall and an overbuilt 4L60. I love how the cam stays above stock across the entire powerband, then pulls away as it draws closer to redline. This is on a 2000 WS6 A4, my last pass with the tuner: (the baseline is a 2002 WS6 with long tubes that the tuner used for comparison, not the same car and not stock, either)
Attached Thumbnails Cheater cam w/ everything else stock-mfta_hpandtq.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmilz28
This fella has it right. Unless you want to add spring changes to your maintenance schedule

Changing a set of springs once every 20K or so miles isn't that big of a deal. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
if you wanted to spend a lil more you could do a cam from EPS, one of their cam will be easier on your valve springs and make more power
The pre-programmed cheerleader response

OP, I think one of the Thunder CheaTR cams would be good for you. Don't forget, Shane at Thunder will custom grind you a camshaft suited to your needs. All it takes is one phone call.

Quick Reply: Cheater cam w/ everything else stock