Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget N/A LQ4 build for hillclimb/sprint/circuit car- What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget N/A LQ4 build for hillclimb/sprint/circuit car- What would you do?

I've got an LQ4 in a car I use for hillclimb/sprint/circuit events, and while grip isn't an issue, punch out of corners is very important as its used on tight and twisty tracks, so torque and general grunt is very important, and a top end of 500bhp+ is needed, and any more is a bonus.

It has to stay N/A and wet sump, and I'm getting conflicting info about what to do, especially as I'm on a budget as such, ie no all-out builds- I race for fun, rather than to win everything.

Standard crank, forged rods/pistons, and some seem to say you can rev to 7700rpm just fine, but whats the power/torque like? Is low down performance still ok?

Stroker kits will cost more, but will taking it to say, 6.8, be worthwhile?

As its not a drag car, it needs to be able to stay in one piece while being revved high for minutes at a time rather than seconds, and I'd rather not rebuild it once a year either.

Its good having so many options, but its confusing trying to decide which!!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say a truckish type cam (well under .600 lift and 230 duration), badass heads and spin it under 6500-6800. This will last much longer than an all out high revving setup. This will give you more torque and longevity and get you near your 500hp goal. You can have a stock shortblock and run the snot out of it for much longer while being more reliable. Just my opinion. A friend of mine used to run "all out" high horsepower LSX motors in Trophy trucks and later switched to just running stock LS3's. Now they get a season or two (instead of a race or two) out of a motor and still have enough power to be competitive.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 05-11-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this package, http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/s...?i=1584&c=1084

We could make your 6.0L into this. On Race gas it makes 620hp and 565 ft-lbs.

Give us a call if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Budget N/A LQ4 build for hillclimb/sprint/circuit car- What would you do?