Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger - STS - Or N/A

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger - STS - Or N/A

Ok. Here I go again. My friend with his 98 Z28 6spd is wanting to get 450-500whp approx.

Initially plans were just full bolt ons - medium/large cam & good set of heads. I told him with this setup I don't think he's going to like the driveablity and it'll get just as deep in the pockets as the others.

Procharger - Looked at the kits, P1SC looks plenty for what we are gonna do. I see it says like 5-10psi, I suppose I just tell them what I want and they give me the pulley for that setup? I've read that on these kits the 7psi is the most to go without changing the springs. Also the kit comes with a new fuel pump, injectors, handheld programmer & intercoolers. Have any of you guys installed this on your f-body personally and how complicated is it?

STS - The rear mount turbo. Single turbo kit, can run the same amout of boost as the procharger, kit looks like it comes with everything also. This kit is a lot cheaper than the procharger. I've read that you can't drive in the rain with this setup. Does anyone know if this is true? It just seems weird that they would make something you couldn't drive when it rains outside. Also to any of you that have the experience, how difficult is this to install.

I've got pretty decent hands on skill but definitely still learning. I've did heads/cam on 03 z06 & 04 gto and both are doing fine so far. That was the first times I had ever been into our LS engines. This is my first V8 car anyways so I'm coming in out of the imports. I've did a lot of reading but $6k is a tough investment to choose the better path I would like to have input from the guys with the experience. I have on recommendation on a guy I have to call next week and talk with him about the procharger kit.

Thanks guys!
BTW - If any of you guys have the procharger or single turbo sts kit on your car could you please put up your hp #'s and mods. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I've always been a big fan of running race cars NA. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a forced induction setup one day...To me, it seems like having a full bolt on NA car is a much more reliable setup (in alot of cases) than a forced induction setup in the driving that I do. I guess it goes back to the age old question of "what do you want out of your car?"

You don't find too many supercharged/turbo LS1 daily drivers.

Not to mention, for the power goals you posted, you can get there without forced induction.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

I had a 03 Cobra, Magnacharged 04 GTO, 97 GTP, 04 Supercharged Mustang GT... I really enjoyed them.. When I did a STS turbo kit on my SS, worse mistake of my life! One issue after another and I ended up with a blown motor. I decided that I will only go NA and I'm really happy with my SS now. I only made 420hp with the turbo. I make 380hp with a 23x/23x cam and other bolt ons.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

I vote NA, unless he gets a really nasty cam daily driveability shouldnt be too bad.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Launching!

What was the complications with the STS that made the engine blow up?

Looks like its getting narrower to n/a or s/c...

On the n/a side I have a torquer v.2 and stock 243's and a K&N cai. Thats it, made 386/374 and it runs OK. Yes only ok lol. The driveability to me is very tempermental. I wish I had went with a smaller cam and relied on other bolt ons to get me to that power level. I know my tune could be alot better and help but everyone has told me theres no way to get the surging and bucking out completely. Car idles & acts different with the a/c on too. Mileage took a big hit. I'm not sure that he could deal with all of that, I know some days when my car starts jumping and bucking because I'm in 6th @55mph I almost am willing to pull the cam back out lol.

The supercharger looks fairly simple to install. Any ideas of what kind of life to expect out of a supercharger or no way to tell?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

The installer didn't do that great of a job. My return oil pump also died and caused oil to spit out the rear. There was a lot of things that went on that I didn't know about that my tuner filled me in on when he got it to tune it. I want to blame it on the installer more than anything. It was pushing 10psi of boost and made 500+tq on a stock motor, which was not good.. so I've became VERY picky on who touches my car now.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new rear end first, because your not going to enjoy your 6k investment very long on a 10 bolt. A good HCI setup is not cheaper than a Procharger kit either. STS is the cheapest by far but suffers from complications. The three people I have worked with who did STS kits all had issues. I am not saying they are bad they just take some know how to make them reliable.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usmonaro
What was the complications with the STS that made the engine blow up?

Looks like its getting narrower to n/a or s/c...

On the n/a side I have a torquer v.2 and stock 243's and a K&N cai. Thats it, made 386/374 and it runs OK. Yes only ok lol. The driveability to me is very tempermental. I wish I had went with a smaller cam and relied on other bolt ons to get me to that power level. I know my tune could be alot better and help but everyone has told me theres no way to get the surging and bucking out completely. Car idles & acts different with the a/c on too. Mileage took a big hit. I'm not sure that he could deal with all of that, I know some days when my car starts jumping and bucking because I'm in 6th @55mph I almost am willing to pull the cam back out lol.

The supercharger looks fairly simple to install. Any ideas of what kind of life to expect out of a supercharger or no way to tell?

I have the same setup, get gears it will make it a lot better!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Superchargers and turbos are alot of fun and let people know what they are messing with but N/A still makes great power and is alot fun. I agree with everyone about STS and I would stay away. If you go with a boost setup I would go with a turbo setup for easy adjustability of boost.

I like a mild setup with N20 personally because it is cheap and as long as the engine is built right is safe to use. A good N20 setup from one of the vendors here with a built engine can get you close if not over boost numbers depending on shot size.

On my new engine I will be running a direct port injection setup that will be completely hidden from the bottle all the way to the nozzles. I am looking for 800rwhp on the bottle and I am hoping to be able to do so with a 300 shot if not I will have to remove the intake to change out the jets until I get it where I want it.

Quick Reply: Procharger - STS - Or N/A