Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.041 head gaskets..any graphite options? or Cometic alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default .041 head gaskets..any graphite options? or Cometic alternative?

Doing a head swap and want to see what other options there are out there for .041 compressed head gasket. I know that Cometics are one option, but I dont want to have a leak like lots of people do.
I am not opposed to a graphite head gasket. I used Felpro graphite head gaskets in the past and didnt have an issue, but I dont recall what the compressed thickness was.
This is for a 5.7 motor with AI 243s. Wont see any type of power adder.
I have heard that Mr Gasket makes a .041 head gasket as well, anyone know any info on those?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used the .040 Cometic heads gaskets for three sets of heads and over 230,000 miles with no problems....people that have leaks did not clean their surfaces properly.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Doing a head swap and want to see what other options there are out there for .041 compressed head gasket. I know that Cometics are one option, but I dont want to have a leak like lots of people do.
I am not opposed to a graphite head gasket. I used Felpro graphite head gaskets in the past and didnt have an issue, but I dont recall what the compressed thickness was.
This is for a 5.7 motor with AI 243s. Wont see any type of power adder.
I have heard that Mr Gasket makes a .041 head gasket as well, anyone know any info on those?
Fel Pro has a 0.041 gasket, PN Q1041 at Summit...but it's got a 4.135" bore diameter...which is too big for your bore, but I'm sure if you look around you can probably find something similar in the right bore diameter.

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have used the .040 Cometic heads gaskets for three sets of heads and over 230,000 miles with no problems....people that have leaks did not clean their surfaces properly.
I agree completely. If you follow Cometic's instructions word for word, Ra of 50 or better, make sure everything is flat, and make sure everything is impeccably clean on assembly, and install the gaskets dry as Cometic says to you'll have no problem at all...it's also important to make sure you properly torque the heads down, go by the specs from the fastener company for that...like, if you use ARP head bolts or studs, ask ARP what to do to torque them down.

Quick Reply: .041 head gaskets..any graphite options? or Cometic alternative?