Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate to ask.. cam for my combo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White Shadow
That's a pretty interesting statement considering the fact that your rebuttal to my statement about using a T-Rex for a cam only car was saying that a properly setup heads/cam car would destroy a budget donkey dick setup.

Also, I love how this post got deleted when it had more in depth of an answer than just T-Rex:

Which part of my previous post history? The part about telling people to use the search function or the posts of mine that got deleted because I wasn't breaking any rules?
Let me fix it for you then. A budget, in this case the ms3 5.3 2.5 setup which happens to also be a proper setup, heads cam build will destroy a budget, in this case trex, cam only setup. IF FOR NO OTHER REASON because I highly doubt the op is going to want to spend the money or sacrifice certain qualities of the car to set a car up properly for a trex cam.

Not really sure why you are talking to me about your posts, my user name is the same color as yours buddy. Just because Steve and I agree on the matter is irrelevant.

The part where people ask for a daily driver broad power range cam that an work with a stock converter and you say trex. Yea, that part.

BTW, an ms3 car with 5.3 2.5 heads all else equal would pull on a trex ls6 stg1 car in almost any race under 140ish mph, I would put money on that. The added torque and midrange power would make sure of that. I'm mostly using the ops setup here.. And in this case even more so because of his setup. He does not have the will/motive/money/insert whatever you want here to make the trex shine above an ms3.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
The part where people ask for a daily driver broad power range cam that an work with a stock converter and you say trex. Yea, that part.
Guess I'll just post the link to the sticky about cam selection that is at the top of This section then since that seems like it would please the people with green names better.
BTW, an ms3 car with 5.3 2.5 heads all else equal would pull on a trex ls6 stg1 car in almost any race under 140ish mph, I would put money on that. The added torque and midrange power would make sure of that.
You're leaving a lot of ground uncovered though depending on stall size if Auto, or launch RPM if 6-speed. Mid range power won't matter if the car is already in peak power area as soon as he launches.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't understand why you are only looking at head and cam selection. Intake headers converter gears etc all play a roll as well. A smaller cam is going to do just as good, if not better, achieving his goal as a trex. Why not have the added benefits of a smaller cam, easier to tune/easier on valve train/better mpg/cheaper supporting mods/etc.

I have made valid point after valid point. You are nut swinging off the trex. It is an awesome cam that has been proven time and time again. However, it Is not for everyone and even for the people that love It and want to use it, it doesn't mean that the trex is the cam needed In that application.
The trex in the right application is an extremely hard competitor to overcome. The only way I would try to run quicker is by talking to Geoff and getting him to grind me a custom grind for my setup to be better than his old grind.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

You are nut swinging off the trex.
It is an awesome cam that has been proven time and time again.
The trex in the right application is an extremely hard competitor to overcome.
This is the point I have been arguing yet I am being called an idiot.

I don't understand why you are only looking at head and cam selection. Intake headers converter gears etc all play a roll as well. A smaller cam is going to do just as good, if not better, achieving his goal as a trex. Why not have the added benefits of a smaller cam, easier to tune/easier on valve train/better mpg/cheaper supporting mods/etc.
Where did I say that intake, headers, gears and converter were irrelevant? That should be the first thing he should do not counting suspension before he ever considers going into the engine.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

The op listed his mods.
What pat g talks about In some of his threads is over 95% of noobs heads.

By midrange I'm not referencing Rpm, I am referencing mph, ie 30-80mph.. misunderstanding.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White Shadow
This is the point I have been arguing yet I am being called an idiot.

Where did I say that intake, headers, gears and converter were irrelevant? That should be the first thing he should do not counting suspension before he ever considers going into the engine.
You suggested someone that wanted a broad power range good DD cam with a stock stall to get a trex cam. That make sense to you? If you were being sarcastic, it wasnt caught. When in every thread no matter the application goals or budget your recommendation is trex it gets a bit silly and yes idiotic, nut swinging.

Go back and read this thread. If you still think a trex is the best cam for him, so be It. But I don't think you will. It is an option for him without a doubt but I definitely think his car will reach his goals and be faster/quicker easier with the ms3 setup than the trex setup, given his budget etc.
Read the other thread with the guy that had the truck for a DD.... You really think a trex was best for him?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

If you were being sarcastic, it wasnt caught.
Guess I'll have to make my sarcasm more obvious.
Go back and read this thread. If you still think a trex is the best cam for him, so be It. But I don't think you will. It is an option for him without a doubt but I definitely think his car will reach his goals and be faster/quicker easier with the ms3 setup than the trex setup, given his budget etc.
Read the other thread with the guy that had the truck for a DD.... You really think a trex was best for him?
It was either post, T-Rex

or this image:

or post this link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html

Either way, there is a search function and a sticky at the top for a reason. If an OP can't even put the smallest amount of effort into researching something like cam choices then I'm going to put little to no effort into a response.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Eh, I guess we just differ there then is all.

Some might just not have the Smarts to understand what all goes into it.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Eh, I guess we just differ there then is all.

Some might just not have the Smarts to understand what all goes into it.