Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A.I. vs TEA posted flow numbers for 243/799

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A.I. vs TEA posted flow numbers for 243/799

To start off, yes, I tried to search. Didn't find exactly what I was looking for......

I've been looking at Advanced Induction's website and also at Total Engine Airflow's site, and I'm trying to compare their flow numbers on the LS2/LS6 heads.

I noticed TEA Stage 2 CNC LS6/LS2 head uses a 4.155" flow bore diameter, while AI uses a 4.000" inch for their Full CNC LS2 head. Also, TEA uses a 2.0" exhaust pipe, where AI uses none.

TEA's flow numbers are higher than AI, so I'm wondering how much of that is due to the flow test variances?

Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested also.

The AI heads have been making killer power for a stock casting lately.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bigger bore plates and the pipe on the exhaust side both increase flow numbers!!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Bigger bore plates and the pipe on the exhaust side both increase flow numbers!!
Thanks Matt. Any idea how much?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I don't have any hard numbers like "increasing plate bore by x.xx" increases flow x%" unfortunately. We did, in order to see how much the numbers could be increased on the exhaust side, put pipes of increasing length to a head on the flow bench, and I can tell you we ran out of pipe before the numbers stopped increasing!

All the PRC heads are flowed WITHOUT an exhaust pipe so as to be more repeatable on more flow benches when flowed independently, and we advertise the plate size and try to keep them realistic as to what size bore engine they'd be on with our customer's combo.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a set of heads flowed last week with and without a pipe. the numbers increased 10-18cfm at most mid to high lift points.
Bore diameter will effect things too I'm not sure exactly how much though.
Ai tries to not inflate numbers at all. I have never delt with tea. I don't know what they do.
Kory

Last edited by Kory 88Iroc Lt1; 06-23-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added content
Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Thanks Kory. Does anyone else have any data on this?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

IMO, it may be splitting hairs between the two. They have both proved to build quality products. Go for the best deal. I personally used TEA since I have experience with them in the past, but I'm sure AI would have done well. The flow that they can get from the stock heads is already beyond what a stock intake can handle (even ported), so unless you're using a FAST 102 (cathedral port), you're nit picking.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt have any doubts with TEA for sure. But, If i had to send a set of heads for some portwork, i would definitely go TEA or WCCH!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
All the PRC heads are flowed WITHOUT an exhaust pipe so as to be more repeatable on more flow benches when flowed independently, and we advertise the plate size and try to keep them realistic as to what size bore engine they'd be on with our customer's combo.
Good to know
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

dont look at flow numbers or dyno numbers look at track numbers.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JaSSon
dont look at flow numbers or dyno numbers look at track numbers.
exactly. and the times look great in your sig. shed some light to us. there is a guy that gained .5 off his 1/4 times from the AI heads on this board. curious what heads u have and if you have any before and after times.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Lightbulb

Flow numbers are neither comparable, nor are they an indicator of potential performance. You cannot compare flow numbers from different test setups on the same brand flow bench, much less tests using different fixtures, test procedures, transducers, and entirely different flow bench brands as you are attempting to do in this instance.

Flow #'s/graphs are marketing data. That unfortunately keeps most people from asking pertinent questions (e.g. what is the actual performance gain, quality of machine work, consistency of performance potential, etc.). For quite awhile we did not post any for these reasons, but the endless "what do they flow" inquiries forced us to in an attempt to cut down correspondence.

Exhaust flow extensions/pipes are another enormous variable. A pipe added to the exhaust of our 243's typically gains 45-55cfm @ 28" H2O on our test setup.

In the end, none of this is really fruitful for the end user. Your engine is not an overgrown vacuum cleaner. The flow graph you buy will have no effect on the outcome of your project, but the machine work you are buying will.

Hope that helps more than it hurts. Thanks for your consideration!

-Phil
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
Flow numbers are neither comparable, nor are they an indicator of potential performance. You cannot compare flow numbers from different test setups on the same brand flow bench, much less tests using different fixtures, test procedures, transducers, and entirely different flow bench brands as you are attempting to do in this instance.

Flow #'s/graphs are marketing data. That unfortunately keeps most people from asking pertinent questions (e.g. what is the actual performance gain, quality of machine work, consistency of performance potential, etc.). For quite awhile we did not post any for these reasons, but the endless "what do they flow" inquiries forced us to in an attempt to cut down correspondence.

Exhaust flow extensions/pipes are another enormous variable. A pipe added to the exhaust of our 243's typically gains 45-55cfm @ 28" H2O on our test setup.

In the end, none of this is really fruitful for the end user. Your engine is not an overgrown vacuum cleaner. The flow graph you buy will have no effect on the outcome of your project, but the machine work you are buying will.

Hope that helps more than it hurts. Thanks for your consideration!

-Phil
Thanks Phil. I appreciate the input.

Just a curious thing here (and you can PM me if you'd rather). Why do most other head compaines use larger valves, yet you guys use stock sizes? Is there that much difference in the port work that the valve size is not important? Just wondering why you guys don't go with bigger valves too.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

Actually, I would like to apologize. We have a new website and that is a typo. It will be corrected this afternoon. Our LS-6 stage 1 and 2 heads are flowed on a 3.900" doweled bore fixture and we use a 1-7/8" x 4.00" pipe on the exhaust. We also have 1/2" thick acrylic radius plates as opposed to a wad of clay for the intake openings. As for the pipe vs no pipe argument that vary's between shops/operators. We prefer to use a pipe and do use a pipe on all of our tests. Power numbers, track times, and reliability ultimately determine how good a head is.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Launching!

subscribing
Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Nice lots of good info....
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a T.E.A. heads on my ls2.... no complaints
Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive seen AI heads make good numbers but I always like to weigh my options. Subscribing..

Quick Reply: A.I. vs TEA posted flow numbers for 243/799