Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR Update on Timeline and GP discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default AFR Update on Timeline and GP discussion

Based on comments from Tony it appears MORE's comments were inaccurate.

MORE Performance for posted this in the Sponsor section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/143841-afr-gp-everyone-should-read-problems-afr-s-new-heads.html

Originally Posted by MorePerformanceInc
I have been in close contact with our rep at AFR. He informed me this morning that the 1st stage of heads 205CC was now being delayed due to a problem (specifics can not be released at this time from AFR). Expected release date for those is now sometime in 3-4 weeks but May is the most likely date. Once they are released, AFR will release the 225CC in no less than 3 months. He also said he does not look for anything to come out until mid-summer now.

We also tried the group purchase idea since we deal exclusively with AFR. They are not allowing anyone to pre-order these cylinder heads due to prior issues.

They also let me know that any sponser who did an early group purchase was being told now to refund money because of this prior issue with there Big Block Heads a few years ago. He told us to refund any money that was given to us as a pre-sale until AFR gives the okay that they cylinders heads will be produced and a date of shipment is given. I informed them we were thinking of holding a pre-release GP sale and he said under no circumstances, we could not take a payment for future items being marketed by AFR.

Once AFR gives us the okay, we will be holding a massive GP Special at that time. Unfortunantly not until they give the okay.

tech@moreperformanceinc.com

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-29-2004 at 05:17 PM. Reason: New info direct from AFR via Tony
Old 02-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now thats some good info. Thanks for insight and honesty.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dogone it..... i think i am gonna buy some heads elsewhere i have been one of the faithful waiting.... this really sucks...
Old 02-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Absolutely INACCURATE INFO!!!

Hello Everyone,

This information posted by More Performance is completely off base. I will be contacting More Performance directly to clear up some of the obvious confusion and possible mis-communication he might have had with one of my sales techs.

There has been no problems whatsoever with our new heads. The product is looking better than ever, and the unexpected delays that have caused the launch of the product have only given AFR more time to perfect it. They are a work of cylinder head "art" and the execution and machine work in these castings are second to none....period.

Nothing has changed since the first time I posted about a week ago....sorry I'm not familiar with how to attach a link to this post.....if someone could I would certainly appreciate it.

As far as a timeframe goes, I strongly believe we will be shipping product sometime in April (205's), and the 225's will only be about 4 weeks behind the launch of the 225's. Dyno Testing is scheduled all thru the month of March as I previously informed you, and I should be able to post some preliminary results of some of that testing over the next few weeks.

We will be evaluating our next batch of pre-production castings shortly, and if things go well with that we will be opening up the floodgates and starting to process orders. I would hope everyone appreciates our position of not taking their money until we knew we were truly ready to produce and ship our product.

I will inform everyone when we do start taking deposits by posting this information online. Some of our customers and dealers that knew they wanted the cylinder heads and would have given us a deposit have been placed on a "Pre-Order List" and will be contacted as soon as engineering gives us the "green light" on our casting revisions and we begin taking orders. Any of you that would also like to be placed on that list can contact AFR directly to make that happen.

Once again, AFR does appreciate all of your patience and we are doing all we can to provide you with the best product we are capable of in the shortest amount of time possible. Good things are usually worth the wait and I have no doubt about that applying here as well.

If any of you feel the need to contact me directly, feel free to do so.
You can email me directly at "tony@airflowresearch.com" or reach me by phone at (818)890-0616 Ext.109.

Sincerely,
Tony Mamo
AFR Sales / Product Design
Old 02-28-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for correcting that. From the sound of it I will be putting a pair on order.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
10 Second Club

so... more performance says delays for 3-4 weeks, but most likely may and you say april. I really don't see much difference. thanks for the info though!!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Tony Mamo @ AFR

got a question for you...
I havent really been readed up on the AFR stuff lately but I was wondering whats the advantage of the AFR heads over say a stage 3 6.0l/LS6? Can these AFR with a stage 3 porting flow more then 340cfm? Like I said I havent been up to date with the LS1 AFR heads, I know your heads for other cars kick ***!
Old 02-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Flow Wizard

Default AFR Advantages...

Hello Stroked 410,

There are many advantages the AFR heads provide....the first of which is obviously a much stronger, beefier casting allowing much higher horsepower levels before issues like holding down a head gasket becomes a concern. All of AFR's castings are "overbuilt" (.750 head deck, etc.) which just provides a much more dependable cylinder head to make big power with.

In regards to airflow, our port designs are more efficient and will flow more air thru a much smaller "hole" which is always a proven recipe for great all around power, high airspeed, good atomization of fuel, better cylinder head "fill", and higher low speed torque production. Our hands were not tied when it came to designing our ports as well as our combustion chamber. We were not working with a factory cylinder head in the design phase of this project....As a manufacturer, we had the luxury of a "clean sheet of paper" approach to the entire project. Our upcoming 205 flows over 50 CFM better then even an LS6 casting with a slightly smaller runner volume.....thats a huge accomplishment. Any factory ported aftermarket head starts at that volume before a grinder or CNC machine even touches it to try and improve its airflow potential. Our larger 225's will flow even more and still have a much smaller cross-sectional area than the larger higher flowing ported factory castings. (Most "Stg II" castings that I have had the oppurtunity to flow were already 225 or more cc's, and on my equipment, and our smaller 205 cc offering outflowed some considerably). I have yet to witness an honest 340+ CFM LS cylinder head on our testing equipment and look forward to the day I do. Our 225 is still in its design phase and I'm not at liberty to comment on flow figures yet, but it will be a very high flowing piece for larger cubic inch shortblocks and more "aggressive" stock displacement engines.

That is a quick overview of some of the AFR benefits, however if you have the time, there is TONS of good information regarding our new heads if you search the Corvette Forum.....Look under the archive section when you use the search engine there and just plug in "AFR". I posted some very lengthy posts regarding the new heads and their attributes. In fact, many of those posts were copied and pasted to this website so you might just want to do a search right here.

Hope this helps you out....

Regards,
Tony Mamo
Old 02-28-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony Mamo@AFR
Are you going to have the "Perimeter style" bolt pattern for guys with the 1997-98 models?
I don't feel like buying new valve covers and coil brackets.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

thanks tony,
sounds like some really nice heads. I am in the market for new heads for my 410ci
and theres a place here in CA called www.Race-Prep.com that has had many 340cfm 6.0l heads and I was planning on going with them. Unless your 255 AFR's can produce more power. I am just trying to take advantage of these cubes and want to make the most power I can.

is there a price list for a stage 3 255 AFR's yet?

Old 02-29-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStroked 410
thanks tony,
sounds like some really nice heads. I am in the market for new heads for my 410ci
and theres a place here in CA called www.Race-Prep.com that has had many 340cfm 6.0l heads and I was planning on going with them. Unless your 255 AFR's can produce more power. I am just trying to take advantage of these cubes and want to make the most power I can.

Here's a read for you about Race Prep cylinder heads... Skip to page 4 to start the discussion I had with Race Prep.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=23622

BTW. Considering the numbers we at HPE have been getting with LS6's, I wouldn't be suprised if we were able to get close to 400 cfm out of the AFR's. But we won't know until they're released

Now if only someone would make an aftermarket gen 3 block Dart made Honda guys a Vtec block, why can't they make us LS1 guys a block? lol

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck@; 02-29-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

thanks tony,

Stroked 410, I talked with Joe from Race Prep and he said they will be receiving bare casting AFR 205 and 225 heads and do the porting themselves. When I go for another high hp motor, that's going to be my route
Old 02-29-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tony,

Thanks for the direct update on this.

Could your provide some flow numbrs for the 205 AFR's on a 3.9 bore as well?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

400 cfm LS1 heads...by the rough formula wouldn't work out to about 800 flywheel hp? Sounds sweet to me!
Old 02-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Hey moderators,
How about changing the title of this thread, or at least moving Tony's response up to the top.
Having a thread with the title blaring misinformation is just wrong. I realize you guys didn't do it, but you can clean it up...
Old 02-29-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
400 cfm LS1 heads...by the rough formula wouldn't work out to about 800 flywheel hp? Sounds sweet to me!
A 400 cfm head is definitely capable of making around 800 or more fwhp... We'll just have to wait and see what happens with these AFR castings before we know what they're capable of. But I don't see why they wouldn't be able to flow some very serious numbers like that if they're cast as thick as they say they are. We shall see

Can we say 8 second n/a LS1's?

Chuck
Old 02-29-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Note PM'd mods asking for a title change.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I have yet to witness an honest 340+ CFM LS cylinder head on our testing equipment and look forward to the day I do. Our 225 is still in its design phase and I'm not at liberty to comment on flow figures yet, but it will be a very high flowing piece for larger cubic inch shortblocks and more "aggressive" stock displacement engines.

Regards,
Tony Mamo
Tony,

Maybe you haven't seen that many good LSx heads then. I think your heads will be great and I look forward to selling them but you guys don't know enough about these heads if you are saying stuff like this. On the same flow bench that your Ford 205 heads go 300 cfm we have LSx stuff going over 340 cfm. I do look forward to the better castings though. I have always had great luck with AFR stuff so far and we look forward to getting them asap!
Old 02-29-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chucks97ss
Here's a read for you about Race Prep cylinder heads... Skip to page 4 to start the discussion I had with Race Prep.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=23622
Chuck
Thanks for the heads up,

man I really dont know who I should have port my heads. I am getting some 6.0l heads and I want to get them to flow as much as possible.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up,

man I really dont know who I should have port my heads. I am getting some 6.0l heads and I want to get them to flow as much as possible.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anybody to beat our abilities at HPE. The proof in the pudding should be unveiled at the SBSO when we set the new fastest n/a LS1 record

BTW. We are "SAM people" fwiw... The manager of our machine shop has been an instructor there for several years. And everybody working here are former graduates from there as well...

Chuck