Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice Please, rag sucked into motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the 1st pic, you had the intake off and plugged one port with a towel??
How did it start with no fuel ?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I have a set of 241 heads off of my 01 WS6 if you're looking for some. PM me if you're interested.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highgear
According to the 1st pic, you had the intake off and plugged one port with a towel??
How did it start with no fuel ?
I left it with the intake on and the TB off with the Intake hole plugged with a towel, I pulled the intake off after to see how much trouble I was in.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mike171562
I know 243's are better, I would love to find a cheap set in good shape but this wasn't a planned build, and my goal right now is to get my car back on the road as quickly as possible, I appreciate everyone's input here.
Then take your heads to a machine shop and have them deck the heads, check and or replace that vavle, and do a lap in on all the valves so that they are sealing well, that is your cheapest and quickest option. And you also know your heads are good and in working order, it's safer to clean those up than to purchase "used 600 mile heads" off craigslist and never know what you are going to end up with.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure why you "need" to buy new heads?

Take that head to a machine shop, have the guide inspected/fixed if needed, and throw 2 new valves in it. Have the heads resurfaced, Done.

I'm not buying the wife story, but then again I wouldn't own up to doing something that knuckle-headed either so I don't blame you.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
Not sure why you "need" to buy new heads?

Take that head to a machine shop, have the guide inspected/fixed if needed, and throw 2 new valves in it. Have the heads resurfaced, Done.
I may go this route

Originally Posted by Damian
I'm not buying the wife story, but then again I wouldn't own up to doing something that knuckle-headed either so I don't blame you.
I would never start my car if even the air filter was off, much less the Throttle Body, The wife was pissed cause she wanted to get the lawn mower out of the garage and the car was blocking it so she got my keys and went outside to move it while I was on the *******. She now knows to never touch my car if the hood is up or it appears that its being worked on. How it happened doesn't matter now and I could'nt care less who believes me
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to spend a ton of money to fix this issue. Also keep in mind if you go with any 99+ casting, you will have to buy 99+ valve covers and coil brackets.

Resurface the heads .015 (will pick up some compression and get a couple HP), some new lifters wouldn't hurt, replace the bent valves, and call it done.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milling the head a little is a whole lot easier than getting that stock head gasket off.. Throw some MLS gaskets on it when you're putting it back together.

BTW: Be very careful cleaning the piston tops. That carbon is highly abrasive and will get into the ring lands.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

I may go this route

I would never start my car if even the air filter was off, much less the Throttle Body, The wife was pissed cause she wanted to get the lawn mower out of the garage and the car was blocking it so she got my keys and went outside to move it while I was on the *******. She now knows to never touch my car if the hood is up or it appears that its being worked on. How it happened doesn't matter now and I could'nt care less who believes me
Points for having a wife that cuts the lawn.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's why most chicks have no business being anywhere around a car that has it's hood up.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

take the heads to scroggins. by downtown. they will repair and have them back in working order.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Milling the head a little is a whole lot easier than getting that stock head gasket off.. Throw some MLS gaskets on it when you're putting it back together.

BTW: Be very careful cleaning the piston tops. That carbon is highly abrasive and will get into the ring lands.
Better yet just leave them alone, not worth the risk when they will be covered in a light layer of carbon very shortly after it's put back together anyway.

I would just have those heads repaired and call it done. As mentioned above, have them milled a little, and go back with MLS gaskets. Get the valves checked for leakdown while at the machine shop.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the advices guys, I sourced a set of 243's from a member here along with the valve covers and coil mounts I need to change over. I'm also throwing in some ls7 lifters, and thinking about doing some new motor mounts since I have the heads off and out of the way. I'm also debating on changing my oil pan gasket since its been leaking for a while, now would be a good time to do it.

I ordered a stock Graphite head gasket from the WS6 store, is that going to work ok for me?

how much power should I pick up with the cam i have in my sig and upgrading to the 243's?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the advices guys, I sourced a set of 243's from a member here along with the valve covers and coil mounts I need to change over. I'm also throwing in some ls7 lifters, and thinking about doing some new motor mounts since I have the heads off and out of the way. I'm also debating on changing my oil pan gasket since its been leaking for a while, now would be a good time to do it.

I ordered a stock Graphite head gasket from the WS6 store, is that going to work ok for me?

how much power should I pick up with the cam i have in my sig and upgrading to the 243's?
Metal headgaskets are better to use than the graphite ones, more likely to hold up longer.

The typical gain would be roughly 15 or so hp. With a cam that number should go up a little. I would get the heads slightly milled.

I would highly recommend having the heads checked at a machine shop for any warping in the deck and also to check the valves for leakdown, or bent valves.

Also if the heads are from a Z06 they have different length valves and you will need new shorter pushrods.

You will also need to retune.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Metal headgaskets are better to use than the graphite ones, more likely to hold up longer.

The typical gain would be roughly 15 or so hp. With a cam that number should go up a little. I would get the heads slightly milled.

I would highly recommend having the heads checked at a machine shop for any warping in the deck and also to check the valves for leakdown, or bent valves.

Also if the heads are from a Z06 they have different length valves and you will need new shorter pushrods.

You will also need to retune.
the heads are supposed to be from an 07 vette.
I didn't know I would need shorter push-rods, when I did my cam, they put in chrome moly pushrods what size push-rods do I need?

If I have the heads milled, would i need a different gasket set?

what else am I going to need?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

the heads are supposed to be from an 07 vette.
I didn't know I would need shorter push-rods, when I did my cam, they put in chrome moly pushrods what size push-rods do I need?

If I have the heads milled, would i need a different gasket set?

what else am I going to need?
The 243 ZO6 heads that had the lightweight valves used longer valves. Read that carefully because it only applies to those vavles.

I found some info here and there is more info out there: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

You will have to change pushrod size again if they are the lightweight valves.

But if the heads are from an 07 they should be standard valves.

You will need headbolts too, so other than what you already listed just tune it after because you will have a lot more compression now (243's have smaller combustion chambers than the LS1 heads) and you also have more flow from the heads so it can go lean, and that mixed with higher compression makes a real good detonation cocktail.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found this

""Anyway, 2001-2004 LS6 (not sure if only ZO6 or also CTS-V) had the light weight sodium filled valves, while the 2005+ LS2 (Corvette, GTO, TBSS, etc ...) had the standard valves. All of these had 243 heads.
""

So my pushrods should be the correct length, I have a set of GM Head Bolts on the way So I hope thats all i need. Thanks for all the information.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Duffster
RobRomero wasn't talking about pics of the heads... he meant the woman...
^^^Yep

"Ray Charles is posting up again."

??? Last time I checked Rob Romero was my name.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RobRomero
^^^Yep

"Ray Charles is posting up again."

??? Last time I checked Rob Romero was my name.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm
Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I found this

""Anyway, 2001-2004 LS6 (not sure if only ZO6 or also CTS-V) had the light weight sodium filled valves, while the 2005+ LS2 (Corvette, GTO, TBSS, etc ...) had the standard valves. All of these had 243 heads.
""

So my pushrods should be the correct length, I have a set of GM Head Bolts on the way So I hope thats all i need. Thanks for all the information.
Anytime man, just wanted you to make sure you had the right pushrods for the valves that you are getting otherwise you would have really bad problems

Quick Reply: Need advice Please, rag sucked into motor