Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to choose heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
Ok cool........makes sense, but how does valve size play a part? like if running 450 hp on an ls2 go with a 2.100 exhaust and a.1.65 intake? like how do i no wat size valves i need? Id call tsp but dont wanna bother them.with questions when i dont have money in hand
First off, don't buy any heads that have larger exhaust valves than intake valves. lol

Second, proper valve size is debateable. There are lots of different opinions on what size a valve should be, and it's typically based off of bore size and displacement. In fact, displacement should always be considered in selecting heads as well as at what RPM range the engine will need to make power/torque.

Your best bet is to just see what has already been done. People love to post dyno result on here, so you should be able to find plenty of results for a variety of different heads/cam combos and focus on those similar to what you're doing. Don't expect to be able to select heads based off of one single variable. It doesn't work well that way. Not valve sizes, not port volume, and certainly not flow numbers.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
dont wanna bother them.with questions when i dont have money in hand
Not me. The ones who help me out will end up with MY money in THEIR hands, regardless if I'm ready to buy right at the moment I'm asking questions. I'd rather get an honest response now, rather than provoking an inflated response because they know I'm ready to spend. If I'm concerned that a company won't spend a few minutes on the phone with me because I don't have money ready, then I have no reason to talk to them anyways.

I say call around, get as much info as you can. And while you are doing that, pay attention to the attitude on the other end. That should go a LONG way in helping you choose their product. Good customer service now = good customer service if you need help later. Having the peace of mind about a company's product is worth a lot to me.

The response Predator posted was a response from AI in a thread I started the other day. TEA also chimed in on that thread as well, and so did TSP. None of them were worried about me having money in hand, which I don't at the exact moment. But soon will....... Little things like that have helped me narrow down my choices. It ain't just about the glitz.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

yea seems everytime i call tsp i get quick rough answers, and i dont feel like they wanna answer my questions into depth....just some generic quick answers. o well, we will see how i feel in the end....
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
formerly twolow02fransen (2014-1-2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ADVANCED INDUCTIONS has my vote