0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

need some head advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some head advice please

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but after searching quite a bit I cannot find all the definitive answers I need. I would also like some opinions as well...onto my story

This past winter I upgraded my stock ls1 with a torquer v.2 cam and stock ls6 heads with dual springs. I wanted to get them ported but I ran out of money after I got everything I NEEDED for the install. Since then the power has gotten old and I would love some more power and some higher compression.

Ive been looking at ported LS6s, ported 6.0s or possibly ported 5.3s with lower than a 64cc. The problem is that used heads with the specs im looking for dont pop up too often and AFRs, TEAs, and basically any other non stock casting head is out of my price range at the moment. Ive been looking at Patriots because they are definitely more in my range, but Ive heard mixed things.

I have also heard mixed things about ptv clearances with the torquer v.2 and 59cc heads. I would like the highest compression possible without needing to flycut.

So basically what would you do? Get my LS6s ported/milled? What is the turnaround time for that? It is summer and the winters suck up here so I want to have my car as much as possible....

Look for some used Ported/milled heads that are in my price range ~$1300?

Get a set of patriots?

Or scrap the whole idea?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the time I would send the heads off to one of the vendors and get them ported. We charge right at $750 for the porting and $200 if you want larger valves. We would probable mill the heads to a 62cc chamber with the larger valves, and a 61cc chamber with the stock valves just to make sure there is enough clearance. You stand to pick up some solid horsepower doing this so I think its a good idea if power is what you are looking for.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
If you have the time I would send the heads off to one of the vendors and get them ported. We charge right at $750 for the porting and $200 if you want larger valves. We would probable mill the heads to a 62cc chamber with the larger valves, and a 61cc chamber with the stock valves just to make sure there is enough clearance. You stand to pick up some solid horsepower doing this so I think its a good idea if power is what you are looking for.
That sounds like a really good deal. What is the turnaround time for port work? I'd rather not have my car down but if its not that long I could deal with it. Would The larger valves be worth it? $750 sounds a lot better than $950, plus shipping is going to be miserable as I'm in ny. I am looking to save as much as I can. If you wanna shoot me a pm I'm interested in the details. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump anyone else?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Check build threads in the dyno section. Damian has a few on results from
the Advanced Induction CNC versions of 241 and 243 heads...I think right
around a grand total. This guy really knows efficient airflow as his heads
often pick up 40-50 rwhp with only 15cc intake runner volume increase.
Study all your options and let the pocket book dictate. TSP does nice work
also. I'd stay away from larger valves since you're trying to get more comp.
without PTV clearance issues and you can get about 290 cfm w/stock valves
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You know my opinion Heads are key so don't skimp out because of a budget.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PM sent!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Best deal! Do it !