Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best rotating assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pistons are not the same for the 347ci and 383ci engines. The rods though, USUALLY do interchange. Most all the Wiseco and Diamond pistons (not all, but most) are setup for a 6.125" length rod with .927" pins.

As for the process of balancing, it is easy enough, but pretty involved. Everything gets weighed, including locks, pins, rings, rod bearings, and we even take into account oil weight. Then we use the CWT Multi-Bal 5500 to do the balancing. Much like a tire balancing machine, it tell you exactly where to drill or add metal (most all the cranks we use require drilling rather than adding to it) to balance it. Each and every crank we balance, GM or aftermarket, gets each journal inspected and measured to ensure they are to spec on size so that the clearance will setup easily as well as to ensure they are all perfectly round which many take for granted but is a known issue with certain cranks. That's the short story of it...I'm on the sales side of things and leave the in-depth technical stuff on balancing to the techs in the machining center

I will note that when you look at the GM balance specs (and talk to some who do some OE work on rotating assemblies for GM) you'd be amazed how much more accurately we are able to balance an assembly than what you commonly run in your engine off the show-room floor.

There's a quick picture of the machine!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by LT1TA
My tsp stroker kit should be waiting for me when I get hoe today tsp is a bit cheaper ($100 or so) for coparable brands. Also, they offer a better variety of pistons and cranks to upgrade/ downgrade so you can build what you want vs what they want to sale you. My old set-up was a 463hp car with all tsp parts to make it happen. I believe in staying loyal to a company and brand that doesn't let me down. Try to find that out soon because rotating assemblies are not something I'd want to chance.
Thanks for your continued support! We appreciate you!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt my motor has Scat rods and Manley pistons stock cranks.

shoot my a pm with a quote on a balanced 4.00 crank and 383 height pistons and set of arp 2000 rod bolts and all bearings

looking for the cheapest set-up i can get keeping in mind it will be a sub 550 rwhp car
Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Matt my motor has Scat rods and Manley pistons stock cranks.

shoot my a pm with a quote on a balanced 4.00 crank and 383 height pistons and set of arp 2000 rod bolts and all bearings

looking for the cheapest set-up i can get keeping in mind it will be a sub 550 rwhp car
PM sent for a little more info!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey lt1a? What set up did you end up buying brand wise?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
Also what's better I beam or H beam rods?
I went with H-beam
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey detoxx u seem to know what Ur doing. What do you think is the highest compression I could run on pump gas?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Pistons are not the same for the 347ci and 383ci engines. The rods though, USUALLY do interchange. Most all the Wiseco and Diamond pistons (not all, but most) are setup for a 6.125" length rod with .927" pins.

As for the process of balancing, it is easy enough, but pretty involved. Everything gets weighed, including locks, pins, rings, rod bearings, and we even take into account oil weight. Then we use the CWT Multi-Bal 5500 to do the balancing. Much like a tire balancing machine, it tell you exactly where to drill or add metal (most all the cranks we use require drilling rather than adding to it) to balance it. Each and every crank we balance, GM or aftermarket, gets each journal inspected and measured to ensure they are to spec on size so that the clearance will setup easily as well as to ensure they are all perfectly round which many take for granted but is a known issue with certain cranks. That's the short story of it...I'm on the sales side of things and leave the in-depth technical stuff on balancing to the techs in the machining center

I will note that when you look at the GM balance specs (and talk to some who do some OE work on rotating assemblies for GM) you'd be amazed how much more accurately we are able to balance an assembly than what you commonly run in your engine off the show-room floor.

There's a quick picture of the machine!
Hey Matt, where does that machine dispense beer? I'm not to impressed! LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
Hey detoxx u seem to know what Ur doing. What do you think is the highest compression I could run on pump gas?
I'm not sure of the highest compression but mine is 11:1:1
Old 07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything over 12.5 to 1 you really need race gas i think that's as high as you should go if you wanna still run pump gas.... maybe even a little less.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
anything over 12.5 to 1 you really need race gas i think that's as high as you should go if you wanna still run pump gas.... maybe even a little less.
If you're going to draw a line at a certain number, without having all the rest of the details on the combo and climate, 11.5:1 would be a much better line to draw than 12.5:1.

Quick Reply: Best rotating assembly?