Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ms4 cam and heads setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ms4 cam and heads setup questions

Ok the time has come for me to start saving for a h/c setup. My car is a 02 z28 and I currently have full exhaust with the ls6 intake. Really wanting to run the Ms4 from Tsp and probably just buy one of the heads/cam packages from them so I can do it all at once. So my question is what are some decent heads to run with the Ms4? Im on a budget so some super expensive heads are out of the question. I am planning on getting a new oil pump, timing chain, and the ls7 lifters just because of the miles on the car. Any suggestions on the oil pump and timing chain? Also not sure of the pushrod length I need or the lsa of the cam I should go with? The car is already and is going to be a once every 2 week driver and may see the track only a few times just to see some numbers. I know I will need a tune after this as well bad. I would really like to see somewhere around 450 hp. Any help or advice is appreciated especially from the Tsp sponsors. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstone812
Ok the time has come for me to start saving for a h/c setup. My car is a 02 z28 and I currently have full exhaust with the ls6 intake. Really wanting to run the Ms4 from Tsp and probably just buy one of the heads/cam packages from them so I can do it all at once. So my question is what are some decent heads to run with the Ms4? Im on a budget so some super expensive heads are out of the question. I am planning on getting a new oil pump, timing chain, and the ls7 lifters just because of the miles on the car. Any suggestions on the oil pump and timing chain? Also not sure of the pushrod length I need or the lsa of the cam I should go with? The car is already and is going to be a once every 2 week driver and may see the track only a few times just to see some numbers. I know I will need a tune after this as well bad. I would really like to see somewhere around 450 hp. Any help or advice is appreciated especially from the Tsp sponsors. Thanks.
First off I would like to mention you will need a double spring kit with that big of a cam and you will have to change the springs about every 30k or so. As far as pushrods go you will probably need 4.25 pr's because of the high lift/duration. If your an m6 with an ms4 cam and head package you should be able to hit 450hp. Just know with this big *** cam it is going to be hard on valvetrain and you will have to rev the **** out of it to see the full results. Imo the ms3 is a better choice fore something that isn't stictly a drag car...

Last edited by z99ls1; 07-28-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z99ls1
First off I would like to mention you will need a double spring kit with that big of a cam and you will have to change the springs about every 30k or so. As far as pushrods go you will probably need 4.25 pr's because of the high lift/duration. If your an m6 with an ms4 cam and head package you should be able to hit 450hp. Just know with this big *** cam it is going to be hard on valvetrain and you will have to rev the **** out of it to see the full results. Imo the ms3 is a better choice fore something that isn't stictly a drag car...
Well I was thinking either Ms3 or Ms4 one of the 2 I was just really looking for some advice. Yea its not going to be strickly drag so maybe I might go with something smaller like the Ms3 I am just wanting something with a nice loud lope though and can get me to 450 hp.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Restricted User

I just think the intake lift on the ms4 would wear out the springs really fast with that high of lift. I mean that's a **** load of lift lol
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Restricted User

Where are you wanting to shift the car at? The ms3 makes power like past 7k I think
Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well there are write ups all over the site about how the Ms4 peaks power at like 6400 rpms + so I am cool with that....I dunno I am still thinking about going for it I dont have a problem with changing the springs it wont be drove that much anyway. The main question I have is what are the best heads that will work with cam? Tsp has alot of choices but I am not sure which one would be the best and not super expensive and not to where I have to flycut my stock pistons like some people are saying on here that you have to do with this cam.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call over to tsp. those guys really know theyre stuff and they will tell you exactly which heads are perfect for your set up. that being said. for a DD cam the ms3 isn't hard to drive at all and it puts out a **** load of power. i put it in my trans am and never looked back and springs won't wear out near as quick. i also think for something that will be on the street and in traffic the ms3 should be about as big as you should go.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ws6outlaw
call over to tsp. those guys really know theyre stuff and they will tell you exactly which heads are perfect for your set up. that being said. for a DD cam the ms3 isn't hard to drive at all and it puts out a **** load of power. i put it in my trans am and never looked back and springs won't wear out near as quick. i also think for something that will be on the street and in traffic the ms3 should be about as big as you should go.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed
Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prc 227 for heads , i run a ms4 and drive my car alot,mine is a m6, its a good cam , but it really needs a high gear to get it movin,just know the fastest car doesnt always have the biggest cam, there are alot of killer cams out there and when matched up with a good set of heads ,will run great .imo screw heads, go with the ms4 ,150 shot combo .

Quick Reply: Ms4 cam and heads setup questions