Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

331" De-Stroked LSx.. 8500 rpm??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And speaking of the DZ302, if GM could build an 8000+ rpm small block 40 years ago with less than spectacular parts, and a valve train that was substantially heavier, I would certainly hope that I could get a computer balanced, forged rotating assembly LSx to survive.
I know some guys that run the gear jammers class with 283 sbc's turning almost 10 grand and they built their own motors in a 2 car garage, and have never heard of balancing a motor...... lol
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayinLS1s
It's basically a modern day DZ302 like the 69 Z-28, and I've had the privilege of riding one of those cars and I know they could put a hurtin on the same car w/ a 427 BBC
In a road race yes. The DZ302 with the cross ram was a very capable, mean motor. But, the 427 ZL1, L88, or even the L72 would have no problem blowing the doors off of a 302 in the 1/4. High revving 4 in bore SBC vs high revving 4.25 in bore canted/splayed head BBC isn't a fair comparison. Both were wildly impressive platforms, but there's a reason why the BBCs are king at the drag strip.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Do it and let us know.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

They did drag the 302 Chevy back in the late 60s nick name of the car was little boss. Car was running very well and set a lot of records in 68. I believe it was Dick harrells parts manager that ran it. They eventually ran the zl1s and campaigned them for years. If you really have your heart set on running big rpm get a hold of the guys that do it and ask if they can give you some guidence. Let us know how you do
Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry I meant little hoss. Dame auto correct
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dumb. Why not build a 370 or 408 that revs to 8500. You're also probably not going to get this done as cheaply as you want. The rockers alone are going to cost you $1500-1750. What intake are you going to use also? There isn't really much on the shelf out there intake wise for an LS3 headed high RPM screamer. All the ones on the market have long runners.

Last edited by JS01; 07-30-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by JS01
Dumb. Why not build a 370 or 408 that revs to 8500. You're also probably not going to get this done as cheaply as you want. The rockers alone are going to cost you $1500-1750. What intake are you going to use also? There isn't really much on the shelf out there intake wise for an LS3 headed high RPM screamer. All the ones on the market have long runners.
I may be dumb, but I've probably built more motors, and made faster passes than you've dreamed of making, besides, it's my money, so if I wanna rake it up in a pile, and burn that ****, before Obama takes it away from me. I do still have that right as an American that pays taxes.

Intake will be a carb'd Vic Jr or super Vic
And to get a 364-408 to turn that kind of rpm it's going to take heads that flow close to 400 cfm, which is gonna be a very expensive problem.
Plus a 3.62-4.00" crank, you've got ALOT more more rotational mass, which is gonna be harder to hold together.

BTW........ I've got a built 6.0
Maybe you need to go back to the first page, read the entire thread, then go set in the corner.
Seems like they called Christopher Columbus dumb for thinking the world was round, when all the smart guys knew it was flat. I guess your *** would've got left behind.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

but I've probably built more motors,
Don't think so pal.

Intake will be a carb'd Vic Jr or super Vic
And to get a 364-408 to turn that kind of rpm it's going to take heads that flow close to 400 cfm, which is gonna be a very expensive problem.
How did you come to the conclusion that a 408ci engine needs 400cfm heads to make good power 8500? That would be an incorrect assumption. Just as a rough example: a 370-380cfm head and a mid 250's cam would do the trick (for a 408 shifting at 8500). Less for a smaller engine of course (340-350cfm for the 370). Also, Edelbrock doesn't make a SV for LS3 heads which you say you'd like to use in your first post. The Vic Jr. which they do have probably wont have enough CSA for you to make the power you want and the runner approach angle and lengths aren't what you'd want for a build like this.

Plus a 3.62-4.00" crank, you've got ALOT more more rotational mass, which is gonna be harder to hold together.
Again, this post shows how much experience you have building high RPM engines. Any of the 4340 4" cranks available for these motors wont have any problem turning 8500.

BTW........ I've got a built 6.0
Maybe you need to go back to the first page, read the entire thread, then go set in the corner.
Seems like they called Christopher Columbus dumb for thinking the world was round, when all the smart guys knew it was flat. I guess your *** would've got left behind.
Just trying to help bud. I know no one likes to hear that they're wrong. I do realize this is LS1tech and my advice will probably fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by JS01; 07-30-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by JS01
Less for a smaller engine of course. Also, Edelbrock doesn't make a SV for LS3 heads which you say you'd like to use in your first post. The Vic Jr. which they do have probably wont have enough CSA for you to make the power you want and the runner approach angle and lengths aren't what you'd want for a build like this.

Again, this post shows how much experience you have building high RPM engines. Any of the 4340 4" cranks available for these motors wont have any problem turning 8500.

Just trying to help bud.
I thought the SV had already came out for LS3s
And like someone already mentioned, it should be moving similar air to a 408 @7k, so VJ shouldn't be a problem

I never said those cranks would have any problems, I said it's going to have more rotational mass, since the weight is further from center, and it's going to be harder to keep it together. With a 3.2" stroke it has a much smaller moment of inertia which is the ticket I'm betting on.

If you were "just trying to help", you could have given me facts as to why it wouldn't work, or what it needs to make it work.

Already gotten a couple of PMs from people saying this setup is out there, running alot of oem parts and holding up good, and running some good times.
This motor is for the track, not to get an impressive dyno sheet.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ummm... And the internet chest thumper pissin' match is on!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to know more about the 11 second truck you built. I have an SS but trucks is my true love. I've always been willing to put out the bucks for fully forged setup with a sigle trubo in a 2wd but my biggest problem is finding someone within 500 miles of me to do the job and I'm not quite up to it myself.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's basically a modern day DZ302 like the 69 Z-28, and I've had the privilege of riding one of those cars and I know they could put a hurtin on the same car w/ a 427 BBC
thats just plain wrong.... and again, just because it revs to the moon doesnt mean its going to be faster. put the exact same parts on a 6.0 and the 6.0 will make more average and peak power/tq.

it seems like you're pretty set on it, so have fun.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

And speaking of the DZ302, if GM could build an 8000+ rpm small block 40 years ago with less than spectacular parts, and a valve train that was substantially heavier, I would certainly hope that I could get a computer balanced, forged rotating assembly LSx to survive.
I know some guys that run the gear jammers class with 283 sbc's turning almost 10 grand and they built their own motors in a 2 car garage, and have never heard of balancing a motor...... lol
oh my god... any other tall tales?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Listen ********, if you don't have anything productive to add, go troll somebody elses thread, theirs thousands of them on here.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Listen ********, if you don't have anything productive to add, go troll somebody elses thread, theirs thousands of them on here.
im confused... you came in here looking for advise, and because people didnt tell you what you wanted to hear you're mad?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by FORD KILLER
I'd like to know more about the 11 second truck you built. I have an SS but trucks is my true love. I've always been willing to put out the bucks for fully forged setup with a sigle trubo in a 2wd but my biggest problem is finding someone within 500 miles of me to do the job and I'm not quite up to it myself.

It was a 99 reg cab short bed, 4wd.
Motor i swapped in was stock bottom LS1 (arp rod bolts), 317 heads p&p'd by me, thunder racing blower cam, obx 1.75" long tubes, Whipple blower on 7# boost, with a small hit of spray, & 39# injectors
The driveline was mostly stock, besides the built 4L60, 3k stall, and a locker in the rear
Cut 1.60-1.65 on the 60's, 7.2-.3s @95ish 1/8, 11.3-.6s @117ish, only went to 1/4 1 time with it, that's been 4 yrs ago.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by kmracer
im confused... you came in here looking for advise, and because people didnt tell you what you wanted to hear you're mad?
im not mad....... got some usable info from a few people

if somebody tells me this wont work because of X, X, and X..... i respect that, even if they have a different way of thinking than me.

or they tell me, that will work, but you might want to look at X, X, and X... i respect that and appreciate it

you have made NO contribution to the discussion, and i really dont give 2 shakes of a **** stick about your opinion, when you dont give any support for a statement.
i personally think its stupid to spend $1,300 for a intake/tb that gains 20 hp.
but if somebody wants to buy a truck load of them, i have no right to say **** to them.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would be more worried about piston speed with a bigger crank. A 4" stroke moves the piston roughly 1000fpm more than a 3.27 stroke.

The point people usually never see is that these different engines do not see the same rpms so the increased strokes of unlimited engines almost always result in more hp and lower rpm. If you can turn the same rpm with the increased stroke you have to be a bad *** or the other guy has to be a total patsy of an engine builder. Therefore most of the time more stroke equals more power and more reliability and less friction and more efficiency.
You WILL have more friction at the same rpm and load with a larger engine whether its from either bore or stroke or both but you will not actually be at the same rpm or load with the larger engine or you will be going much faster.

To drive at the same speeds and rates of acceleration as the smaller engine you will see lower rpm and friction with the larger engine. This is why you run huge engines that turn low rpm when you need a lot of power but you need the engine to last forever.

Efficiency means how much power you can make out of a given amount of fuel and air. The larger strokers are always more efficient as evidenced by their lower BSFC readings and their higher power with the exact same heads etc.
Both the above quotes were stated by erik at HKE. Just so no one thinks im trying to take credit.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Listen ********,
This one is done. Get the chip off your shoulder.

Quick Reply: 331" De-Stroked LSx.. 8500 rpm??