Sponsored by:

Open Letter From MTI Concerning Cylinder Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:27 PM
MTI
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Letter From MTI Concerning Cylinder Heads

We've recently received a great deal of e-mail inquires and questions about the manufacturing process that goes into our cylinder heads and the steps we take to ensure repeatable performance and quality in every set of heads we produce. Based upon that and the huge investment that a cylinder head purchase represents to our customers, I thought I'd take a moment and discuss the process that goes into each set of heads that leaves our shop:

First and foremost, all cylinder heads are hand ported and assembled using only the finest parts. MTI has spent hundreds of research and development hours in Gen-III cylinder head port design and employs two full time machinists who average approx 40 hours of work on each set of cylinder heads that leaves our machine shop. All of MTI's Stage II E, R and Stage III cylinder heads are assembled using the finest components available including Ferrea stainless steel one piece valves, custom lightweight titanium retainers engineered to our exacting specifications, custom double valve springs good to over .600 lift and custom engineered spring locators that ensure positive spring location to prevent any type of lateral spring movement. Heads can also be milled .030 inches at the customers request to increase compression by .5 point.

Secondly, each set of heads goes through a complete range of testing and analysis. Using our Superflow SF-600 flowbench with Flowcom, we test and flow each set of cylinder heads before they leave our machine shop and will provide you with flow sheets for your individual cylinder heads. We guarantee that your cylinder heads flow exactly what we promised, and will reflect that on the dyno, the street, and at the track. Period.

And finally, each set of heads comes fully warrantied - Each set of cylinder heads that we produce comes with an unconditional 12 month/12,000 mile guarantee. If anything goes wrong, we'll take care of it. No questions asked. After 10 years in business, our reputation is too important to risk so if you have any issues - we'll handle it. Why? Because we're certain that you won't.

The one exception to this warranty is a nitrous application or forced induction vehicle. Due to the inherent dangers with these processes, we can't offer a warranty on heads installed on these applications - but I will say this: We have hundreds of sets of heads on FI and nitrous cars throughout the world and our failure rate is nearly non-existent even on these applications!

I always like to provide proof, not just promises so here's an interesting case study: A standard hand ported set of our Stage III LS6 cylinder heads was on Ron Adee's Corvette when he won Car & Driver's One Lap of America in mid 2003. That's a contest that tests both man and machine as each vehicle is put through 4,000 miles of dragstrip and road course abuse in just two weeks. The components in Ron's cylinder heads are the same components that we'll put in your heads and you can expect the same quality whether it's on your daily driver or an all out race application.

Drawbacks to our process? I'll be frank - there are a couple. We don't mass produce cylinder heads and have them stocked to the ceiling, we do require a core on most of our cylinder heads, it'll take our staff about three weeks to produce your heads and at $1595.00 for our Stage II E Heads, we are more expensive than some other alternatives out there.

But if you want the highest quality and parts, backed up by an excellent warranty and a decade of service and dedication, then I'd like to extend a personal invitation to you to join the hundreds of satisfied MTI's customers who have purchased our cylinder heads in the past ten years.

I appreciate your time and consideration. Please feel free to visit our website www.motorsporttech.com or contact myself or any of my staff to discuss in more detail or place your order.

Sincerely,

Jayson Cohen, President
Motorsport Technologies, Inc.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

nice read

i allways have liked MTI
Old 03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sold!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Good info Jayson. I think it would also be important to point out that the head porters at MTI work on a base salary + commission, and that they must put each and every set of heads through a strict Quality Control test, which includes flow bench testing, before the heads are approved for sale. This keeps your guys committed to quality, and from being in a hurry to turn-n-burn heads out. If the heads don't pass requirements, the porters don't get paid for them, and the heads get reworked until they pass, or they get scrapped. Thats the best way to maintain consistent products in my opinion. Sure, this QC costs more, but its worth it.

Tony
Old 03-02-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MTI is a class act
Old 03-02-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this QC costs more
And that is the key. With most things in this world, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. they have a warranty??

If it wasnt for a great deal I got out here from the now gone MMS I would have definetly gone with MTI just based on their great Customer Service alone..

Its true Tony.. sometimes you do get what you pay for
Old 03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

And that's why when I finally get heads I'll be going to MTI
Old 03-02-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I know if Im not happy with the performance of my PP LS6 heads im gonna go over to MTI for some Stage 2 E heads.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

...it'll take our staff about three weeks to produce your heads and at $1595.00 for our Stage II E Heads, we are more expensive than some other alternatives out there.
I see that 3 weeks is an ideal lead time. Do you have a current backlog, or is 3 weeks about right?

Do you take LS1 perimeter-bolt heads as cores? (stupid '97...)

-Jake
Old 03-02-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Good info Jayson. I think it would also be important to point out that the head porters at MTI work on a base salary + commission, and that they must put each and every set of heads through a strict Quality Control test, which includes flow bench testing, before the heads are approved for sale. This keeps your guys committed to quality, and from being in a hurry to turn-n-burn heads out. If the heads don't pass requirements, the porters don't get paid for them, and the heads get reworked until they pass, or they get scrapped. Thats the best way to maintain consistent products in my opinion. Sure, this QC costs more, but its worth it.

Tony
I Agree with Tony,QC all the way!I talked a good Half hour with Jayson today and I have learned alot about heads in a little short time.I didnt know alot about heads,but I have learned some very interesting stuff from Jayson He explained to me how things work there and man He has got me soldIf every Company had the QC MTI does ,man all the heads would be pretty bullet proof...Just my .02
Old 03-02-2004, 04:40 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jayson has always been a standup guy. He has always taken the time to speak with me when I am in the shop. He has made his dyno avaliable for testing, and he and his staff have been very accomodating for anything I've ever needed help with.

Jayson has done engine packages for several friends. While they may not be "bleeding edge" in terms of some of the max-effort packages out there, they are dead nuts on, they are consistent, and they make good power.

In my group of friends I have never had anyone have a failure on any MTI product or package. Like any shop there have been a few issues with sleeves dropping, etc... But MTI has led the pack there also both in quality, and in customer service in terms of getting those customers back on the road with a minimum of fuss. I know MTI is moving away from pressed sleeves to Darton's to improve the quality of their super stroker kits.

In short I think we can all agree that over the years we have seen MTI come to the top as a leader in the performance market both in product and in customer satisfaction.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats an awesome post, MTI does some killer work and has some fast cars

i was just curious if your warranty covers labor as well, to say have the heads removed and reinstalled, or to have springs or seals swapped?

thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Ive never ordered much from MTI, but ive known without a doubt that they are a top notch company.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:14 PM
FormerVendor

I dont know whos post was more informative, Tonys or Jaysons I have to say Jayson, you and MTI as a whole are a CLASS ACT

Glad to have shops like yours out there man. It makes those of us who enjoy modding our cars that much more comfortable doing it!!!!!!!

MTI!!
Old 03-02-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My MTI Heads blew the GTP heads I had out of the water! I think that Jayson himself is one class act individual and it just trickles down. All of their work is top notch, their tuning is 2nd to none, and they 9 out of 10 times have what you need in stock....no waiting.....unless ur going fully built motor or something. When I get another LS1 it's going straight to MTI and having a bore/stroke 383 put in w/their LS6 heads....I've seen so many of those combo's take abuse after abuse after abuse.....and they stand behind their work.

Good Info Jayson....you don't see many if any other shops coming out and laying it on the line....I must say you are one class act individual.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Josey ,What MTI Heads did you Have?Just curious
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Professional!! MTI has an awesome reputation. I love visiting your customer cars section
Old 03-02-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, my MTI Stage2R's cost more than most of the other options I had back in 2001, but I've had nearly three years and 40k+ of absolutely trouble free miles.

There may be other combos that put out a few more ponies, but not much more. I consider my dyno numbers to be plenty respectable....

The few extra dollars I spent have long been forgotten.

Yes it may sting a little to pay a higher price for good quality, but the sting of poor quality lasts a WHOLE lot longer.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ScottyG
Yes it may sting a little to pay a higher price for good quality, but the sting of poor quality lasts a WHOLE lot longer.
AMEN BROTHER!