Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trex guys, what did you down grade too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011 | 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa

Perhaps my math is wrong but it would seem that 2+2+2=6
What do numbers have to do with a three letter vendor? Do you actually have some input for this thread?

look at a ed curtis streetsweeper cam,or get a custom cam form the cam guys on here.
Ive heard great things about those cams.

glad u didnt just toss the raptr cam in, it works ok with a ls6 intake FAST intake helps it thou(plus it pullls much farther then 65k depending where u setup your rev limiter)!
I got the Trex on trade so I thought I would try it. RapTR was a choice as well, but it also seems to big for my goals. What experience do you have with the RapTR? Just wondering if you can compare it to others
Old 08-09-2011 | 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=Cosmos;15250889]What do numbers have to do with a three letter vendor? Do you actually have some input for this thread?
.........as a matter of fact I DID give you a cam suggestion AND took into
consideration after reading 3 different posts of who you didn't like of vendors
but you now seem hell bent on NOT owning those quotes and prefer to play
a cat and mouse game w/me..which is fine..I'm done here sir..good luck 2 ya
Old 08-09-2011 | 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

TR230
TSP 228r
Old 08-09-2011 | 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
but you now seem hell bent on NOT owning those quotes and prefer to play
a cat and mouse game w/me..which is fine..I'm done here sir..good luck 2 ya

Not at all. I was wondering about the three letter vendor. I forgot about EPS. I have nothing against them, didnt know thats what you were talking about.
Old 08-10-2011 | 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cosmos is the car tuned really good?
Old 08-10-2011 | 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, my car is tuned very well. Runs good
Old 08-10-2011 | 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went from the Trex to the Raptr. However, I never really got a chance to drive the car with the Trex in. I just putted it around because it wasn't tuned, and then had a lifter take a dump on me. So I can't really compare the two. I actually like the Raptr though.
Old 08-10-2011 | 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to a street sweeper ht. Car had 243s on it. Driving around it was alot more fun. Made the same peak rwhp, gained peak torque by 10. I credit most of the gain to the tuner
Old 08-10-2011 | 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

alan do you have a graph of that? Was it same day? You had a Trex? and went to a SS HT?
I never put the SS HT in my car to compare it to a Trex.

Cosmos if you really want to look into cams this much, your gona have to find a dyno and a tuner you can use, and do it back to back. I say dont trust the *** dyno for what you looking for... the whole mid range 3-4500 stuff and "area under the curve" for street driving. You really can't feel 5-10hp.... I can't. A lot of the bigger cams do that double hump curve, and can make it feel like there all top end, and only come alive over 4K. But they can still have the same tq and sometimes more Then some other cams people thing are know for being a "toquer" Have a smoother curve so people thing its got some better mid range. but really its a turd all the time so you can't tell.

Check this out, I made a thread looking for cam only guys that make BIG mid range tq. If you broke 400tq or even 39x. And no custom grinds for killer mid range, or latest lobe that has more under the curve, did it. I lot of guys with good bolt ons that made 403-407 wtq had a Trex. I did it with the Trex and the street sweeper BTW

Streetsweeper peaks before what other magic cams do so people think more rpms is better and faster. Its not

Trex and a one off cam. My car, good bolt ons, stock 241s. This is what I'm taking about for the double hump thing and the *** dyno, the mid range is killer but you would think it all top end. But these cams have killer under the curve too. There up 25 wtq in the midrange. But they do idle choppy, and surge after 5secs, if you cruise low rpms in 6th. I'm taking like under 2500rpms. The street sweeper never surged in my car, its my favorite street cam. I posted a vid like that christen guy with the red vette did years ago. You don't realize how nice it drives with a good tune untill you go to the bigger cams. I have to be in the car to push the clutch down to start it. But in the winter, under 20* out it idles fine for moving the car around. you just turn the key and start it. Idles fine, no riding the clutch and bucking (my car is light and has gears btw) The big cams you have to hold at 2500to get some heat in the motor, and a bitch to move the car around the shop on a lift, and load in a tailor.

Last edited by studderin; 08-10-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 | 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Studderin, No it was actually a couple years apart and differant tuners. Car was totalled with everything in the dash so I dont even have the papers they printed for me. But the car was totally a street car at the point in which I switched cams. So yeah, SSHT was a hell of alot better for my needs. But again, mostly my tuner for the credit on the gains.
Old 08-11-2011 | 08:56 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

In the other dark side forum there was a good discussion regarding cam's & low stroker power number's. The thread actually was headed down hill with all the donkey dick cheerleaders, then in turned around & some very useful information surfaced. Here is a comment I made, remember it is a stroker thread some the numbers are a bit higher than what you might run in a LS1.

"I agree 100% with your comments, however I must say this. I've had 5 cams spec'd, the Intake duration ranges from 234 to 243, the exhaust from 238 to 247, overlap from 9 to 17*, lift all .600 to .650. This by the known cam profilers. Then you talk to various shops & look out.

So the confusing part is of course how to choose, do you have experience with strokers & cams & would comment on the original post? "

I've been studying the camshaft valve events for the past few weeks trying make sure my next camshaft provides results as expected, my thoughts are that you need the cam profilers to get you on the right track. You need to understand yourself enough so you make the right choice.

BTW I think you are upgrading!

Last edited by ctd; 08-11-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2011 | 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by studderin
Cosmos if you really want to look into cams this much, your gona have to find a dyno and a tuner you can use, and do it back to back. I say dont trust the *** dyno for what you looking for... the whole mid range 3-4500 stuff and "area under the curve" for street driving. You really can't feel 5-10hp.... I can't. A lot of the bigger cams do that double hump curve, and can make it feel like there all top end, and only come alive over 4K. But they can still have the same tq and sometimes more Then some other cams people thing are know for being a "toquer" Have a smoother curve so people thing its got some better mid range. but really its a turd all the time so you can't tell.

]
That makes a lot of sense. Since I made this thread, I pay attention to the powerband more and more everyday.

Which cams are which in the graphs?
Old 10-13-2011 | 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got the car dynoed.
Made 416/380 corrected on a mustang dyno.
Not bad for having a Moser and a LS1 intake.

I also said screw it and will be buying a FAST LsxRT. Yes the truck style.

Im going to install the LSXRT, SD tune, and bigger lid and redyno. I think Im going to pick up the RapTR cam and do a back to back dyno that day. I know the guys at the dyno so I can do a cam swap while its tied dyno.

Im going to go with the RapTR since Ive already ran 2 Thunder Cams with great success and the specs I want are right there. I might even get the RapTR on a 110 LSA.
Old 10-14-2011 | 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't want any bigger than Torquer 2ish specs for a daily driver with a 5.7L. As predator mentioned, 7 or 8 degrees overlap is a lot of fun with the right gears. Any more would get old in a hurry.
Old 12-03-2011 | 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Im not going to run the lsxrt as Ive been told it makes 5-10 more horsepower more than the lsxr. I'm not cutting up my car for that. Might just do a ls6 with a 90 mm. Either way I'm still very interested in changing cams. After racing other 346s and beating them all, I really don't wanna part with the trex. But, I'd rather enjoy the car more than be able to beat everyone.
Old 12-03-2011 | 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Well Im not going to run the lsxrt as Ive been told it makes 5-10 more horsepower more than the lsxr. I'm not cutting up my car for that. Might just do a ls6 with a 90 mm. Either way I'm still very interested in changing cams. After racing other 346s and beating them all, I really don't wanna part with the trex. But, I'd rather enjoy the car more than be able to beat everyone.
OH yes, its hard to beat this cam my friend.. Esp from a roll...
Old 01-24-2012 | 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by studderin

A lot of the bigger cams do that double hump curve, and can make it feel like there all top end, and only come alive over 4K. But they can still have the same tq and sometimes more Then some other cams people thing are know for being a "toquer" Have a smoother curve so people thing its got some better mid range. but really its a turd all the time so you can't tell.
I think your right! I compared my old cam only set up to the current set up and my current set up makes more torque! I decided to compare my dyno graphs and the TRex with heads out performs the cam only 236/232 110-1 everywhere.

Here the list of differences

Here the set up
Dyno jet
236 110-1 torque cam
slp smooth bellow
ls6 intake
10 bolt 4.10s 16 inch wheels
light spec clutch
Mac mid length headers
cut out

Mustang Dyno
Trex 59cc ported 5.3s/ ls6 valves
ls1 intake
9 inch/4.30s 17 inch zr1s
heavy ls7 clutch
hooker long tubes
cut out
Stock bellow
As you can see, the trex combo has A LOT going against it in the case of putting up numbers. Ls1 intake, Mustang dyno, heavier drivetrain.

Heres the results
236 vs Trex
Torque
@3k
300/330
@4k
370/370
@5k
370/380
@6k
320/330
@6.5k
270/350
@6.8k
250/310

Horsepower

@3k
170/200
@4k
270/280
@5k
350/360
@6k
380/400
@6.5k
380/416
@6.8k
360/412
As you can see my butt dyno lied to me lol. This is not a cam vs cam, this is just to prove studderin's point. Even though my torque cam felt faster below, it clearly wasnt. The trex set up would have looked even better vs the torque cam if it was on a dyno jet. If it was on a dyno jet it would have been around 430-440 horse and around 400 lbs if not more.

So lesson learned, DONT TRUST YOUR BUTT
Old 01-24-2012 | 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have always been in favor or a good ole TRex!
one of my earliest memorable experiences has been running with a trex. First real cam i ever installed in a ls1. First time i shifted a trex to 7000 thru the gears on the hiway i was hooked.
Even better, i built a 375ci with 11.75:1 scr with ported 243 heads and shifted that **** at 7200 with a Trex. And then i hit with a 200 dose for the first time.
I will always have respect for this cam. Should go down in the LSx hall of fame, imo
Old 01-24-2012 | 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

After reading the thread, it seems like you don't really know what you want yet. You flip flop on everything like Mitt Romney.
Old 01-24-2012 | 06:29 PM
On The Tree

I love my t Rex! Been in there for like 7 years! Stock heads stock bottom end m6

Quick Reply: Trex guys, what did you down grade too?