Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal and External... Cam and Headers Finally Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal and External... Cam and Headers Finally Installed

Cam and Headers are FINALLY in. I got it done Monday night. It drove like crap with open headers, it is MUCH better now that the y pipe is connected. The car is VERY loud and Very raspy at about 2500 rpm. After that it calms down into a tolerable scream. The car is a beast. Any suggestions on the best muffler to help the rasp. Right now I am running a Y pipe (no cats) from my headers to the stock cat-back minus the muffler, it is really loud. I don't want to make it too much quieter, I would keep it open headers if the local governments would let me. I love how it sounded with the open headers. It is still loud but not the same. Anyway, has anyone heard of spinners? The guy at the muffler shop said they might help the rasp. I really don't want a high priced muffler to "change" the sound just something to get rid of the rasp. The cam I put in was a Comp custom grind with 238/240 duration and .598/.608 lift. It took awhile to learn idle but it is doing surprisingly well now. I am very happy. Any suggestion on what to use to get rid of the rasp would be appreciated. The cheapest/most effective.
Thanks
Matt
Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 AM
Launching!

A dynamax bullet would help clear up some rasp. Have you ever thought about a true dual system. Mine has very little to no rasp at all.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a muffler to simply tame it down a little without changing the sound too much, you should be looking into the "straight" thru mufflers like the Magnaflow or the Edelbrock.
The stock cat-back will require some modification to work with an aftermarket muffler. I would personally go with the Edelbrock for sound control and performance. The Mangaflow mufflers are nice too.
The rasp is a side effect of a crappy y-pipe...I think people have discovered that replacing the collector with a Flowmaster collector helps eliminate a lot of the rasp.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Can someone explain what exactly rasp is? My car gets extremely loud and high pitched at around 2500 rpm below and above is much quieter and "smooth". Does that sound like rasp? I am really confused at what would make the exhaust so much louder and high pitched just as that certain rpm. Thanks for the advice.
Matt
Old 03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

yes thats rasp. Its usually around 2k-2.5k on cars with ORP's
Old 03-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Launching!

That would be rasp.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow will do the job., congrats on the cam and header install.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

I put a cherry bomb on it!! It helped alot but made it a little more quiet than I wanted. It is still loud but it also gave it a lower rumble. The rasp is almost completely gone now, so I am happy. I can actually drive around at 2500 in the city without worrying about getting pulled over now. Thanks for the congrats on the install it was a PITA but worth it.
Matt
Old 03-04-2004, 05:55 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nbmls1ta
I put a cherry bomb on it!!