Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Largest cam to pass emissions in CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had my car smogged in Los Angeles county. They do a gas cap test, and are supposed to take a look under the hood for EGR/AIR, then look for the cats (the guy did not do the visual). They then perform the OBDII test and plug in under the dash. Then there is an idle test. They do not put the car on the roller. They test at idle, and they test i believe at 2500rpm. That's it. If you are sure you are not throwing any kind of emmissions codes, i believe the toughest part of the test would be the idle test. If you have a "lumpy" cam it might fail you. I'm not sure if it works, but if you bump the idle rpm up, so it idles smooth, you may be able to pass.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Teching In

I believe that the tr224 112 lsa will pass with a good tune and cats!!
Old 03-07-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard of some guys having a strong H/C or stroker that won't pass an emissions test no way; they buy a long block, stock manifolds with cats, stock/aftermarket catback- doesn't matter, and another PCM with stock tune from other members in the classified section on this board. Then just do a full swap before your testing; afterwards swap them again. Here in Ohio an emissions test is required every two years; so once you do the two swaps you're good to go for two whole years.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssteve
I believe that the tr224 112 lsa will pass with a good tune and cats!!
I hope so because that the cam i plan on getting. ill worry about that next year when i smog. hope fully one of you guys will smog before me so i know what will happen. whos gonna be the test rat?
Old 03-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
I recently had my car smogged in Los Angeles county. They do a gas cap test, and are supposed to take a look under the hood for EGR/AIR, then look for the cats (the guy did not do the visual). They then perform the OBDII test and plug in under the dash. Then there is an idle test. They do not put the car on the roller. They test at idle, and they test i believe at 2500rpm. That's it. If you are sure you are not throwing any kind of emmissions codes, i believe the toughest part of the test would be the idle test. If you have a "lumpy" cam it might fail you. I'm not sure if it works, but if you bump the idle rpm up, so it idles smooth, you may be able to pass.
Hi all! Long time no post, but my friend directed me to this string regarding emissions testing with Hypo LS1's, and here's the skinny for those of you that want to know.

I am a licensed Smog Technician here in Los Angeles. I own an automotive repair facility in Chatsworth (just over the hill from Hollywood). In all the "Enhanced Areas" in California, the loaded mode ASM dyno test is performed. California plans to go "Enhanced" throughout all of California before long. Same with the rest of the country. San Fransisco just got the dyno's.

Earlier this year, around Jan, L.A. made it manditory that all cars pass the "Emissions Diagnostic Monitors" via the OBDII connection. This would include the Catalyst, HO2S response time, HO2S heater circuit, EGR system (if equipped) and the EVAP diagnostic monitors. As Richard at WCCH (West Coast Cylinder Heads) stated, we are seeing a large problem with these cars failing their EVAP, O2, and Catalyst monitors.

For a car to pass an "Enhanced area" smog test, you must have passed all the internal, intrusive, "Diagnostic monitors". The smog machine hooks up to the the computer via the ALDL connector before the test is run for an RPM signal, and just after running the dyno (loaded mode) portion of the test, the TAS (test analyzer system) checks for any emissions related codes and to see if all the "Diagnostic monitors" have run and passed. Otherwise the TAS fails the car for not passing it's "Diagnostic monitors". The larger the duration of the cam, the more chance you have of loading PO300 (misfire) codes, which, hence, would fail you in a smog test because the TAS would see the misfire code (emissions related code).

Gotta love it huh??

We'll,........ me and Rich have been petitioning various people like the guys at LS1 edit, HP Tuners, GMMG, and some other professional technicians societies (like IATN.org, the GM Training center, and STS-Service technicians society) to get an answer of how to program our PCM's to pass the allusive "Diagnostic Monitors". The problem being is that LS1 edit does not give you a parameter in which to answer "yes" or "pass" to the "Emissions diagnostic monitors". You can change the tests that are run for the codes and such, but nothing is available for the "Diagnostic Monitors".

Bad2000ss.......I don't know what to say to your smog check?? In all of Los Angeles county the "ASM Loaded mode" test is done. The only vehicles that do not have to run on the dyno are "All time 4x4" vehicles or anything that is 10500 GVW or more. Those vehicles run the 2 speed idle test in which you describe (2500 RPM and idle). Otherwise, the only area's that still use the old BAR 90 machines and or the 2 speed idle tests are called "non-attainment" area's such as Santa Barbara and some places like Vacaville, Northern California, and so on. All other large metropolitan areas or area's deemed as having a smog problem are considered "Enhanced area's".

I'm still looking for some info regarding getting these cars to run and pass their "Emissions Diagnostic Monitors", but the information is hard to come by. I have all the factory training info regarding running the "Drive Cycle", but it doesn't help. It seems that installing any "edit" program may have something to do with it, possibly in the fuel trims.

Any information from anybody regarding this delemma would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Superchief
I recently did the following mods to my 2002 WS6 6 speed Trans Am: Kooks stainless steel headers, mufflex y-pipe with random tech cats, mufflex 4 inch exhaust with a spintech muffler, BMR Fabrication Extreme Duty torque arm, Drag race rear anti-roll bar, Extreme lower control arms, Extreme shocktower brace, Adjustable panhard rod Chrome moly race use only w/rod ends, hard top boxed subframe connectors and driveshaft safety loop, 4.10 gears with a TA performance cover and optional stud kit, Auburn Gear pro-series differential, TSP 85mm lid, GM LS6 85mm Maf, SLP Smooth Bellow, and all the "Free Mods". I was planning on going hog wild with motor mods, but as of recently my plans changed due to the fact i will be moving to california. So i'm opting to buy a D-1SC ATI Pro-Charger and bolt that on instead. I'm not a fan of N2O and won't use it, that's definitly out of the question.
Your Kooks headers won't pass. In addition to the dyno, and upcoming OBDII computer check, there is a visual inspection. Any Aftermarket part without a CARB Exemption (EO number) will fail. As far as I know, no LT headers have the EO number. Cali smog rules suck!

As far as different localities having different rules, here in the Memphis TN area, cars in the city limits have to test, but if you're outside, you don't. I'm right on the border, and of 4 cars registered at my address, 2 require testing and 2 don't. When I moved here, I went from test to no test on my 94Z. When I bought my new vette, I told the dealer I was not in the city, but the registration came back with testing required. Then I got married and we registered my wife's and stepson's cars. One came back in each category. You want to talk about crazy!!

Last edited by Mike Frey; 03-11-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Not that this will help on the intial question, but this thread just got my juices flowin....

I know Cali is enviromentally concerned, especially in LA when the air gets so thick it could choke you.... but in Michigan (and we are talking about Motor City) they killed vehicle inspections because autos in violation were less than 1% of the driving population. The cost of administering this system was not worth stopping that small group of violators.

You'd think with Cali's budget problems they'd take a long hard look at their own testing system, because I cant imagine it actually makes a measurable difference. And now they're investing in the most complex testing system in the world.... dynos??? Rediculous. Sounds to me like "they" need to create more vehicle failures so they can justify the system.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GainesvilleLS1
Not that this will help on the intial question, but this thread just got my juices flowin....

I know Cali is enviromentally concerned, especially in LA when the air gets so thick it could choke you.... but in Michigan (and we are talking about Motor City) they killed vehicle inspections because autos in violation were less than 1% of the driving population. The cost of administering this system was not worth stopping that small group of violators.

You'd think with Cali's budget problems they'd take a long hard look at their own testing system, because I cant imagine it actually makes a measurable difference. And now they're investing in the most complex testing system in the world.... dynos??? Rediculous. Sounds to me like "they" need to create more vehicle failures so they can justify the system.
It's my understanding that OBD3 will have transpoders along the freeway that will transmit smog info as your driving down the road. The beaureaucrats here have figured out a way to create very, very complex boondoggles without regard of costs to anyone. They don't know when to quit a failed program because it scores points with the powerful envirnmentalist wackos. Instead of abandoning the program as your state did, they come up with some new, twisted set of rules and regulations. We can only hope that southern Calif will secede from the nuts that inhabit Sacramento............

Richard
Old 03-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Instead of abandoning the program as your state did, they come up with some new, twisted set of rules and regulations. We can only hope that southern Calif will secede from the nuts that inhabit Sacramento............

Richard
Richard for the next Governor!! If you run on that platform, I would consider moving back, so I could vote for you!!

Last edited by Mike Frey; 03-12-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is registered in Nev. I get the OBDII test every year. They just plug into the port under the dash and check to see if all the smog stuff is working to factory specs. If you have not turned anything off or deleted any smog stuff; you should pass the "Emmissions Diagnostic Monitors" no problem. By the way. there are 13 states that never signed the EPA contract. They don't have smog checks! So, they don't get Federal Funds for highway repairs. Big deal!!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As if the smog ****'s aren't bad enough, we here in CA have "specially" formulated 91 octane pump gas and now we pay through the *** for a gallon of it. The oil campanies are laughing their asses off at us Californians

If you have not turned anything off or deleted any smog stuff; you should pass the "Emmissions Diagnostic Monitors" no problem.
The Catalyst test is a bitch to complete. What happens if your car won't complete this test?

Richard

Quick Reply: Largest cam to pass emissions in CA