Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Largest cam to pass emissions in CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest cam to pass emissions in CA

I tried the search feature and couldn't find exactly what i was looking for. Does anyone know the largest cam to pass emissions in california? I spoke with a gentleman today who claims if i use ls1edit, i may be able to get the blower cam i am looking at to squeak by with what he called a smog tune.

Camshaft - 232"/236" .585"/.598" 114LSA aggressive profile with a 2800-7000 RPM range, rough idle, for blower/nitrous applications
Old 03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tttop
Old 03-02-2004, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

definetley a 224/224- 114....
PROBABLY a TSP 225/225-114
MAYBE (with a great tune) a 226/226- 114 (futural i think)
Old 03-02-2004, 09:44 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do a search for cali cams. these threads come up weekly, there probably one on the first or second page still.

i hightly doubt that cam will pass, and besides, if your going to run a blower you dont need a cam that big. a 218/224 116, 220/224 116 will work just fine.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen a tr230 pass...but it had a PERFECT TUNE...all in the tuning
Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the information, i appreciate it. I've never had to deal with smog before, but since i'm moving to california in a few months i'm going to have to. JRP, thanks for the advice on the search.... found exactly what i was looking for. Thanks again...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TR224/114 will pass for sure WITH a tune. Pretty much any cam you get will need a tune to pass and for more power. Some don't need a tune, but it still a good idea to get one. That cam WILL NOT pass by any means other than a miracle. 224/224 is safe and pretty much the limit. 226/226 is getting VERY risky. The TR224 cam is a great cam and many people have it including myself. I love it and so do many others. At the bottom go into the Western forum and there are some CA cam threads in there also.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Check to see if your county is going to keep the dyno-test and not switch to the OBD-II testing. Some counties/states are switching from the dyno test to the PCM scan test. That is exactly what happened here in Lake County, Ohio(basically just east of Cleveland). Ohio had an emissions test for a long time but the test was only some small service station looks under the car to see if the cat is there and then make sure you have a gas cap....that was it! Then Ohio got this bright idea of "E-CHECK". First off they make sure there is/are cats on the car. They put your car on a chassis dyno, run the car up to 55+mph while testing the tailpipe emissions; they also test the emissions at idle. After that they test the seal of the gas cap. They have had this for years! Just a fews months ago Ohio switched to OBD testing. They scan the PCM for faults and codes. So it doesn't matter what mods you have as long as the PCM is tuned right. If CA still has dyno testing, why not just use nitrous? Can we have the specs on your car as of now?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Banned

Cali guys, it gets worse....................
Some counties here are now looking at the OBD2 self diagnostic tests to determine pass/fail results. Not only does the car have to pass the tailpipe test on rollers at 15 & 25mph, it also has the gas cap test and OBD2 diagnostics. There are 5 tests (6 for EGR cars). I believe most of the available scan tools will show test status of the 5 or 6 different diagnostic tests. Many cars with aftermarket cams are not completing the "catalyst" test. This will result in a failed test and the car is considered "noncompliant". That means no registration renewal.
Somehow the aftermarket is going to have to get ahead of this or lots of people will be putting stock parts back on their cars every couple of years.
Any input about this subject is very welcomed................

Good luck,
Richard
Old 03-02-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The beauty of dyno tuning... You can tune for cleaner emmisions, and tune out any trouble codes that may develop. Then put the stock exhaust back on and you're ready to roll.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
Check to see if your county is going to keep the dyno-test and not switch to the OBD-II testing. Some counties/states are switching from the dyno test to the PCM scan test. That is exactly what happened here in Lake County, Ohio(basically just east of Cleveland). Ohio had an emissions test for a long time but the test was only some small service station looks under the car to see if the cat is there and then make sure you have a gas cap....that was it! Then Ohio got this bright idea of "E-CHECK". First off they make sure there is/are cats on the car. They put your car on a chassis dyno, run the car up to 55+mph while testing the tailpipe emissions; they also test the emissions at idle. After that they test the seal of the gas cap. They have had this for years! Just a fews months ago Ohio switched to OBD testing. They scan the PCM for faults and codes. So it doesn't matter what mods you have as long as the PCM is tuned right. If CA still has dyno testing, why not just use nitrous? Can we have the specs on your car as of now?
I recently did the following mods to my 2002 WS6 6 speed Trans Am: Kooks stainless steel headers, mufflex y-pipe with random tech cats, mufflex 4 inch exhaust with a spintech muffler, BMR Fabrication Extreme Duty torque arm, Drag race rear anti-roll bar, Extreme lower control arms, Extreme shocktower brace, Adjustable panhard rod Chrome moly race use only w/rod ends, hard top boxed subframe connectors and driveshaft safety loop, 4.10 gears with a TA performance cover and optional stud kit, Auburn Gear pro-series differential, TSP 85mm lid, GM LS6 85mm Maf, SLP Smooth Bellow, and all the "Free Mods". I was planning on going hog wild with motor mods, but as of recently my plans changed due to the fact i will be moving to california. So i'm opting to buy a D-1SC ATI Pro-Charger and bolt that on instead. I'm not a fan of N2O and won't use it, that's definitly out of the question.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Cali guys, it gets worse....................
Some counties here are now looking at the OBD2 self diagnostic tests to determine pass/fail results. Not only does the car have to pass the tailpipe test on rollers at 15 & 25mph, it also has the gas cap test and OBD2 diagnostics. There are 5 tests (6 for EGR cars). I believe most of the available scan tools will show test status of the 5 or 6 different diagnostic tests. Many cars with aftermarket cams are not completing the "catalyst" test. This will result in a failed test and the car is considered "noncompliant". That means no registration renewal.
Somehow the aftermarket is going to have to get ahead of this or lots of people will be putting stock parts back on their cars every couple of years.
Any input about this subject is very welcomed................

Good luck,
Richard

Not really sure where reseda is located but i'll be staying with my girlfriend in vallejo. She said when they smog her car they just ( her words) stick this thing up the tail pipe of the car, i go have a smoke, and after about 10 min they tell me i passed and that's it. She did say they run the car, give you a print out, and the info is forwarded directly to dmv from the machine but that's it....no rollers or scan hook ups according to her. Maybe emissions testing varies from county to county out there, but this is all new to me since i never had to worry about anything like this before. Personally i think it's but guess if you wanna drive there it has to be done.

The aftermarket companies may just have to spend the money to get carb certification on all their products. This will cost them big money in the short run, but may wind up making them more money in the long run. As you stated if it get's to a point that they get so "tight" with the emissions laws that you can't even change the factory installed plug to an aftermarket one, then hope all these companies can afford to lose out when people start switching the cars back to stock. This will be especially true if all 50 states implement the emissions laws and get as strict if not more so than california.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Banned

Superchief: Vallejo is north of the SF bay area and does not yet test on rollers. The testing procedures vary from county to county. Here in Reseda, we're part of LA county and smog tests are the most stringent in the state or country for that matter. Never the less, eventually all states will adopt the plans modeled in Cali.. So far only the metropolitan areas are required to show compliance.

Richard
Old 03-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Superchief: Vallejo is north of the SF bay area and does not yet test on rollers. The testing procedures vary from county to county. Here in Reseda, we're part of LA county and smog tests are the most stringent in the state or country for that matter. Never the less, eventually all states will adopt the plans modeled in Cali.. So far only the metropolitan areas are required to show compliance.

Richard
How stupid is that set up! ok, were going to smog every car, but because you live here you have to pass these set of rules and becuase you live there you have to pass another set . Not that i am condoning this, but how about one set of rules for everyone to follow? I think i'll give the cam i was looking at ( Camshaft - 232"/236" .585"/.598" 114LSA aggressive profile with a 2800-7000 RPM range, rough idle, for blower/nitrous applications) a shot since they only do the tail pipe sniffer test. Hopefully it will pass with a good tune. Thanks for the info Richard i appreciate it .
Old 03-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Banned

I'm with ya bro..........
FWIW I saw a Berger ZL1 with 427ci engine sail past the local tests here. Those engines use cams with .600" lift and idle pretty rough. My guess is the duration @.050" is somewhere around 240º. I suspect the PCMs have been alterd by GMMG to change pass/fail criteria. I'd like to see more posted info about this subject though.

Richard
Old 03-03-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

427's can pass with small cams.

I i have a friend who passed with a tr224 on a 112..but thats pushing it. I would go with tr224 on a 114 at most
Old 03-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Teching In

I'm with ya bro..........
FWIW I saw a Berger ZL1 with 427ci engine sail past the local tests here. Those engines use cams with .600" lift and idle pretty rough. My guess is the duration @.050" is somewhere around 240º. I suspect the PCMs have been alterd by GMMG to change pass/fail criteria. I'd like to see more posted info about this subject though.

Richard
Now were talking......something that will rattle the fenders of the car when it idles . Why bother going through all the trouble of putting a cam in a car and it idles almost like the stock cam i started with. Wonder what was altered in the pcm or anything else for that matter that made them sail through emissions? I myself would like to see more posted on how they acheived that cam to pass the stringent emissions out there and why no one else has been able to. I can't recall seeing any posts where anyone was running a 240 duration cam in California and it sailed through emissions no less! I'm sure there is a way to get these larger cams to pass, you just have to know what you are doing which is the name of the game with anything. Do you know anyone who's excellent with tuning these type of cars in the area? Being new to an area kinda sucks, but i'm sure i'll catch on to all the excellent shops out there .
Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Banned

I believe Team ZR1 is located in northern Cali.. He knows his stuff for tuning cars to pass emissions. I think he's a member on this board. Look him up when you get here and welcome to the golden state...........
BTW that ZL1 sounds absolutely fantastic with the sewer pipe sized exhaust system.

Richard
Old 03-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Teching In

I believe Team ZR1 is located in northern Cali.. He knows his stuff for tuning cars to pass emissions. I think he's a member on this board. Look him up when you get here and welcome to the golden state...........
BTW that ZL1 sounds absolutely fantastic with the sewer pipe sized exhaust system.

Richard
Thanks for the welcome and all the information... . I will definitly be looking him up when i get there. Hope mine sounds half as good through that 4 inch mufflex system as i know that ZL1 does... . Take care and best of luck, will be looking you up when i'm ready for cylinder heads...
Old 03-04-2004, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

The bay area now has the smog dyno as does the Sacromento area.

Check out www.norcal-ls1.com when you get into town to find out about the local tuners and any other info you might need.

Quick Reply: Largest cam to pass emissions in CA