Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 teardown - how far do I go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011 | 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default lq4 teardown - how far do I go?

I have a 2001 LQ4/4l80 out of a 2500 HD truck that I plan on installing in an 87 monte carlo ss. I didn't hear/see the engine running so not sure on condition of engine. According to the seller it had about 30k miles on it - was a above ground service truck at a local mine - so lots of idleing and no "highway" miles.

I plan on using an LS6 intake, 243 heads (to bump up compression) and CTSV oil pan.

I have removed the intake and heads so far, oil pan is next and front accessories (probably go with camaro or corvette setup).

So I'm basically going to be left with a shortblock.....now

Should I tear that down and have a machine shop look it over and replace the bearings and hone/bore as necessary or leave the bottom end alone.

If I tear the bottom end appart, should I replace rods/pistons (flat tops) while I'm at it and bump compression?

Any opinions welcome.....
Old 08-07-2011 | 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

here are some pics. The 'carbon' build up seems to just flake off. Should I just clean this up or tear down some more?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-08-2011 | 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Forgot to mention, I did a leakdown test before taking it apart and the numbers are all over the place...anywhere from 19% to 90%. Could hear leaking from the valves and some in the bottom (rings). The engine hasn't run in about 2-3 years so I didn't think the leakdown results would be very helpful.

Quick Reply: lq4 teardown - how far do I go?