Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS engine building. Engine builder told me I couldnt do it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
He then started to go on this rant about how building an LS1 is not like building a typical old school 350......

Is plasti-gauge really that crappy?

Is putting an LS1 together that difficult?

He has me a little worried and a little pissed so im just looking to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Trey
the top end and air, spark, and fuel might be different but last time i checked bottom end still has a crank, rods, and bearings like every other car.

Plasti-guage does the job just fine if you torque it right and have all the main caps, etc. in the right palce

And an ls1 is a lot different than a carbeurated engine, even tpi for that matter. i have built a 355 and we used plasti- guage on it and it runs great......i do like the idea of putting 3 pieces on each bearing though......but the point is it is gonna be different to build an ls1 (will be my first time to when i can afford it) but the short block will be about the same as the old 350s, but im sure there are prob a few differences especially considering its a distributorless motor lol but if you use common sense you will be fine and you can get plenty of advice on how on here or go buy a book for the car
Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take him all your stock rods and tell him to shove them and tell him you bet 8 times out of 8 he'll probably enjoy it
Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
And how much is it worth to know its done right the 1st time? I've been there done that numerous times. Done the plastigage deal a couple times and they aren't 100% accurate. Spend the couple extra bucks and do it right the first time.

****, you could drive a car with your feet
if you want to.

That don't make it a good ******* idea.
Pretty staight forward common sense here...and lol'd a couple times

OP, you can buy a scalpel but it doesnt make you a surgeon. Spend the few bucks on a correctly built short block and eliminate the risk in a do-over. Understand where you're coming from but what's it going to cost you when (if) you have to do it again? Just sayin....
Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I probably undoubtly hold the crown for DIY. With that being said its almost guaranteed the 1st time you do something your gonna ***** something up weather you know it or not. Maybe the bearings might not be square, maybe the thrust is not straight. Could be any one of a million small detail items. I've been kicked in the dick more than enough times, trying to do it myself and phucking something up that was a minor detail that most 1st timers miss. There is no doubt, it is cheaper to do it right the 1st time than to dick around and do it 2x.

And how much is your time worth?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

I paid someone for a built short block and its out of the car right now because he jacked something up. I'm building it this time. Its at the machine shop right now and I have been acquiring the proper tools for assembly. Watch ebay and craigslist for the mics and gauges. Good deals can be found on older Mitutoyo's and Brown & Sharp mics and dial indicators as well as bore gauges. You dont have to buy new stuff as long as they still calibrate and are well taken care of. I'm still looking for a good rod bolt stretch gauge so if anybody knows a decent one for a halfway reasonable price let me know.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Launching!

The first engine I ever rebuilt was my ls1. I honed the cylinder walls, had the crank grinded, installed an ms4 cam etc. I threw it together in my garage after I got home from high school on days I was free. Sucker runs like a champ. I'm sure you can do it too
Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

I think that its all apart of being in the car hobby to want to build your skill level and tool box. i see far to many guys giving up before they try in the quest of getting it right the first time having some one to blame if it doesn't work out in the end. To those i say to each his own but if you read follow instruction apply some discipline in your build you can do the same work that the shop is doing he is human like you and had to learn it also he wasnt born with that info or tools.. build it.. pg works as good as the mechanic follow instructions. built not bought...
Old 08-13-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

i agree with the guys saying to give it a try it will be a good learning experience i built my engine in the garage and i never done one before! in the process you will gain a lot of experience literally you will be able to change every part on your car! the engine that i built dyno 490rwhp with an auto trans just follow the torque specs and procedures
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (09-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Obviously some people here can build an engine in their garage themselves and it'll be a good reliable engine.......but why would some first timers want to do it themselves when its so cheap to have an expert do it.

A shop around here charges around $700 to assemble an engine after HE had it machined at the machine shop HE uses. Then you get a warranty if its used N/A......oh, and he tunes it for FREE.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

i thought it was pretty easy. i've rebuilt a few engines, gen 1 alike. they've survived. granted, i didn't have any 7 second motors. i've used plasti-gage with success many times.

maybe we should let these professionals assemble our stock shortblocks and then bang our women just so we don't screw that up too.
The following users liked this post:
hadleycat (09-17-2022)
Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

if you are lucky you will get warranty but 99% of the time they blame the owner from abuse to saying that it was spray etc.. etc... there are a lot of stories in here about shops like that..... it also happened to a friends!! i'm not saying that they are not good shops just be careful!! you can find a good shop in here near you just ask around
Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 AM
12 Second Club

It all comes down to what you want to do, if you want to rebuild it your self and it is your first time so what, all these "shop experts" did it for the first time too. only difference is they have been doing it for awhile now. you can do it, just dont rush and read everything you can about building a LS1 and dont refrain from asking question while building the engine. there are two kinds of people in the automotive "Performance" world. Those who pay for what they have and those who do it them selfs. I like doing it my self because when I say I did it that look they give me. speechless!! so if you want to do it and you screw up you can not blame anybody, but you will learn and be able to understand your engine better than anybody else can. plus, you can say "I built it." so do it! you can.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

HOW TO REBUILD LS SERIES ENGiNEs shows all the tools u will need and you can find it on KEGS
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reeperz28
HOW TO REBUILD LS SERIES ENGiNEs shows all the tools u will need and you can find it on KEGS
reeper, drinking isn't a good idea when you're building a motor
LOL

there is nothing wrong with building your own motor, i did and it's held up fine the past 2 years. there is also nothing wrong with using plastigauge, but you need to use it with the understanding that its not as accurate as mic-ing it out yourself.

if you don't know how to build an engine by yourself you need to find some kind of reference book to refer to,... but there's no reason to be afraid to do it.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reeperz28
...you can find it on KEGS
I'm more of a can/bottle guy myself, but agree that's a great book.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 PM

I just ordered that book a couple of days ago, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
maybe we should let these professionals assemble our stock shortblocks and then bang our women just so we don't screw that up too.
exactly

plus, if all I cared about was saving money - I would certainly not be driving a V8 performance car!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

That book is bad ***. Lots and lots of helpful information.

Also, just an example of looking for the tools you need on eBay and craigslist, I just scored a $450 bore gauge off eBay for $135. It's a mitutoyo 2-6" with carbide anvils good to .0001". I also scored some brown and sharpe mics and a dial indicator for 40 bucks. About the only thing I lack now is a 3-4" mic for the pistons. All in all I have less than 300 in tools and they are all in good shape and name brand. Like I said, it doesn't have to be new. Just use common sence when buying stuff. If it doesn't look like it was taken care of, it probably wasn't.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

You could go either way. I'm sure the guy just didn't want to have you come back and say something went wrong. If you do it yourself just remember keep a very clean workspace, don't get in a rush, and double check everything.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

We build our own motors in our shop here at the house after having a local machine shop does his "thing". If you have the knowledge and tools it's really not that hard to build something mild good running street motor.

Being that it's your first time why not have the guy put it together, or if you're close enough to his shop see if you can find the free time to go up there when he puts it together and LEARN.

I was fortunate enough to learn everything from my grandpa

Quick Reply: LS engine building. Engine builder told me I couldnt do it.