Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump causing low oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Oil pump causing low oil pressure?

I have a 1999 LS1 camaro. Origional bone stock internal motor, 130,000 on the clock. Never seen spray, doesnt have a history of detonation.

My oil pressure is hangin out around the first hash mark on the pressure gauge. When im at WOT it registers a little over 40.

I was told that I needed an oil pump. The guy at a local speed shop said he has had many LS1 cars with high milage come in with that kind of oil pressure and he changes the pump out and it brings the oil pressure back to normal.

My question is, I thought the oil pressure was controlled by the bearings not the oil pump. However, I can see that if the oil pump was worn or wearing out how that could be affecting the oil pressure because it isnt pumping as much. What do you think about it?

If the bearings were bad then I could replace the oil pump and I would see no difference in the oil pressure. The problem with this is that I will not pull the oil pump out of the car just to put a stock one back in it. I want to put a mellings oil pump in it which will raise the pressure because it is a high pressure pump so I will see a pressure increase but will that be because the pump is pumping more or will that not affect it either way if the bearings are going bad?

I had the car dyno'd and it put down good strong numbers. The tuner was impressed which leads me to believe the motor is in good condition. The tuner said "there is nothing wrong with that motor if its putting those numbers down"

So I guess I dont know what to do. Should I throw an oil pump in it and ride or not waist my time and just find another short block?