Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The quest for 10s N/A---- Advice Needed---- Come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice parts you got there. Keep us updated...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98SSClone
Hey guys,

As the title states, I am on a quest for 10s in my Camaro. It's a 98 NBM Camaro Z28. I just bought it as a rolling chassis. I already have an 02 LS1 to go in it.

I'm not looking to build a dyno queen. I'm wanting to build a car that will perform well at the track, but still be streetable enough to be daily driven. I have a general idea in mind, but I am welcoming all suggestions.

Here's what I was thinking...

-PRC Stg 2.5 5.3 Heads
-Custom Cam
-FAST 92/92 (If I can find them)
-36lb/hr Injectors
-Underdrive pulley
-1 7/8 LT Headers
-3" y-pipe to 4" exhaust with cutout and custom Spintech muffler
-Tubular K-Member and Control Arms
-Fiberglass Hood (Already have)
-Performabuilt Lv 2 4L60E
-3600-4000 Stall
-8.8 Rear Axle w/3.73s
-Lighter wheels
-Remove rear seats, spare tire, jack, sub box, amp, ABS module, and whatever else I can find that I don't need
-Adjustable shocks
-Upgraded suspension components (TA, LCAs, SFCs, PHR, etc...)

The car already has the SFCs welded in and has a fiberglass hood on it. Those are the only 2 things it has done to it at the moment besides a Flowmaster cat-back which will be getting changed out later on.

Also, would it be possible to keep the engine compartment somewhat stock appearing? I think the PRC heads will help with this because it's a ported stock casting. Also, I can remove the lettering on a FAST intake and paint it. Only thing that should be obvious are the headers and the ABS delete.

Keep in mind that this will be my daily, so I can go crazy with the weight reduction. Most of the stuff I listed that can be removed will only be for track days. I love my bass in my music and I like the peace of mind knowing I won't be stranded if I have a flat tire.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I'm looking forward to hearing some suggestions. Here's a pic of the 98 Camaro and a pic of the engine still in the 02 Camaro donor car. I'll post more pics of the 98 tomorrow.

Thanks guys,

Derek

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the 98 also has a SLP lid on the airbox...
I would use 4:10 gears with a 4000+ stall imo.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Gonna bring this back from the dead.

I got the car put together and ran it at the track a few times. First run sheared the wheel studs off of the drivers side. Lol. Dropped the car on the brake rotor.

Few months later I went to the track and ran high 11s with stock springs and shocks.

Then, Few months later I moved to California and parted the car out. Now the engine is in my uncles buddy's car running high 10s on motor and mid 9s on spray.

Now I have a 98 Formula that's getting built for road course duty. Just have to get funds in order to start on it. Haha.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 98SSClone
Gonna bring this back from the dead.

I got the car put together and ran it at the track a few times. First run sheared the wheel studs off of the drivers side. Lol. Dropped the car on the brake rotor.
You mean like this What studs and wheels/tires were you running when it broke.

Name:  20151003_123520_zpsnsohqezj.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  3.85 MB
Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You mean like this What studs and wheels/tires were you running when it broke.

Sorry for such a late response. They were the studs that came in a Moser 9". I was running 275/60/15s mounted on a 15x8. Launching off idle. Converter flashed to ~4500 off idle. Lifted the nose pretty well, but when weight hit the back tires, the studs let go.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

U can do it with the list u showed in good air and suspension tuning
Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

This car is long gone. I parted it out a while back. The only things I have left from it are the Spohn motor mounts and the PCM and wiring harness. I have a new project car now. I've got a 98 Formula that I just swapped a 5.3 into for now since the LS1 had a crack in both sides of the block and was pouring water.

The Formula will be getting a LS3 swapped in it with a small(ish) cam and a T56. It'll be a nice handling street/road course car.

Quick Reply: The quest for 10s N/A---- Advice Needed---- Come on in!