Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are AFR heads so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by a338566
i hadnt looked at Trick Flow previuosly, it looks like they ahve a GenX 220 head that is cast instead of CNC machined and is a little cheaper, any input on a cast trick flow head compared to a machined one ?
From everything I've seen, the 220 as cast head gives up about 10 hp over the CNC'd 215's. Plus, to me, it's more than just a "little" cheaper. Not to mention you can always have them ported down the road.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
Patriot is a budget head. A afr 205/225/230 would KILL a patriot head any da yh. Better material...
Can you elaborate on this?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
Can you elaborate on this?
i would assume afr/tfs/mast/prc used a different type of metal than a stock casting head. i could be wrong.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the cash texas speed 5.3 truck heads FTW. My buddy has them and are awesome.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The title of this thread is the equivalent of the lob in volley ball you spike into the opposing field

Why do AFR heads cost more....its a good question actually that's discussed here in detail on our site

http://www.airflowresearch.com/why_afr.php

But my summary of the answer is higher quality parts, higher quality aftermarket castings (made in the USA...not offshore garbage), higher quality machining, and a lifetime warranty....the only company I know in the cylinder head business willing to stick their neck out with that.

Not to mention top notch customer service from a company thats been in business since 1972....owners of some of our competitor's company's weren't even born yet.....LOL

And everything I said isnt a bunch of lip service (keyboard service in this case).

Our American made castings have the thickest deck in the industry at .750 thick

Our Valvejob machine is literally a very expensive dedicated CNC machine that specializes in valvejobs only that costs quadruple what you see in most cylinder head shops (even some of the larger aftermarket shops)....how that benefits you is clean crisp valvejobs that aid flow and seal up right out of the box....perfect concentricity every time (a problem that plagues many of our competitor's heads)

We have extremely expensive diamond guide reamers that hone every guide perfectly to size on the CNC machine....no human beings involved after the fact honing guides by hand....not the case with all of the aftermarket budget heads. In fact I've seen a very popular big name "budget head" brand new right out of the box (customer wanted me to flow it) that had guide clearance as loose as .004 on every hole.....essentially the guides were already wasted before these heads were even bolted to an engine (for those that dont have a reference point, .004 clearance on an 8mm valve feels very loose and sloppy, like a high mileage worn out guide....our spec is a third of that and even tenths make a difference in how loose or tight a guide is)

I could go on and on but I dont want to sound like an AFR infomercial.

The time and money invested on the R&D side, the Engineering and CNC side of the business.....its staggering, and you want to know the real trick.....once you spend a retarded amount of time and money to get a single program that kicks azz....what's involved in repeating those results to the general public time and time again so you dont have to take a phone call from a customer who checks your product independently and finds its down 25+ CFM from advertised. And btw, we also guarantee our flow numbers within 2% of what we claim....another AFR perk most companies wouldn't want to touch for the liability involved. We stand behind our product bigtime

This is the type pf work you get out of the box.....if your CNC porting, valvejob, and transitions into an out of both look like this and you didn't spend a good chunk of change then God bless you!! (this happens to be a 23' SBC but our LS stuff looks just as purty I assure you).

The bottom line is you almost have to be a cylinder head expert or an engine shop that sees alot of heads to really appreciate the type of product AFR puts out....there are so many clearances and dimensions you guys wouldn't even consider or think about that separates a really good head from an average or below average head. The gains in airflow and efficiency are just scratching the surface.....

Cheers,
Tony
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

any suggestions on good vendors that sell a heads cam package with either AFR or trickflow, i have only found the heads for sale alone and would like to buy a packagea deal.
Well you need to get ahold of Tony Mamo he works for AFR and does great work on heads, i bought heads from him earlier this year i spent alot but it was well worth the money
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you get what you pay for. I have a set of 195 AFR eliminators on my 406 and it made 522 hp on the dyno with a hydraulic flat tappet cam and I only had to spin it to 6,000 rpm. It was still climbing too. the build quality is second to none.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

If ya want the best go straight to Mast and be done.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a set of afr 62cc chambers 205s for sale with the upgraded afr springs...1700 plus shipping shoot me a pm for more info...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

The as cast versions have been making killer power definitely would not be disappointed on that buy
Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

AFR has to purchase their reputation with advertizing, that is not cheap and you have to pay for it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

i really appreciate the education i am getting, it looks like i was comparing apples to oranges, when i compare cnc machined heads to other cnc machined heads AFR is at least in the same ball park. i really only want to do this job one time and although i dont have any plans yet for forced induction it is a potential so AFR is starting to look more worth the money.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really appreciate the education i am getting, it looks like i was comparing apples to oranges, when i compare cnc machined heads to other cnc machined heads AFR is at least in the same ball park. i really only want to do this job one time and although i dont have any plans yet for forced induction it is a potential so AFR is starting to look more worth the money.
For a ls1 id look at the afr 205, tfs cnc 215, or a nice set of ported 243's. Mild/big cam, fast intake/ported 243 cars are making 440-470rwhp.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plus for aftermarket heads the resale value is alot better too
Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I switched from another brand of aftermarket head to the AFR's. That was even more expensive but worth it.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
AFR has to purchase their reputation with advertizing, that is not cheap and you have to pay for it.
I've always been somewhat of a hawk with companies like this with alot of other products besides just car parts, but I've never thought this about AFR. Aside from being a paid sponsor like every other major LSX vendor, their main source of advertising and publicity is their chief engineer, Mamo. I don't even recall them ever having that big of a presence in magazines save for maybe 1 or 2 articles the last few years when they revised a line of heads. Alot of email responses from Tony came long after regular work hours, and I'm hardly a big customer.

You have to run very lean in these economic times, and AFR is definitely one of those companies. ::

Jason
Old 08-27-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

AFR heads are among the elite. The quality is top notch and they perform just like they are suppose too. I had some 5.3 heads ported by a vendor that no longer exists. I switched to AFR heads and they destroyed the 5.3's in every aspect.

And don't forget that Tony Mamo goes above and beyond. Super awesome guy willing to help anybody on here.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

At least with AFR you know what your getting is guaranteed to be top notch. I get the impression with others that don't cost as much your rolling the dice.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Though I have yet to build my ls1.When I do ..it wont be a question of what brand heads I will use.I had a pair of AFR 195cc elims on my old 383 sbc with upgraded springs and I cant explain how nice they were.I felt almost guilty bolting them onto the motor because they were so perfect.I had aluminum l98 heads that were re-worked that couldnt hold a candle to the performance gains switching heads did for that motor.You get what you pay for is very true.

Can you save money and go with cheaper heads and make decent power,yes.If your chasing for every hp/tq that can be squeezed from your combo as efficiently as possible and still last a long time then AFR is for you.Plus its easily one of the few parts that can be resold for what you paid for it new.

Quick Reply: Why are AFR heads so expensive?