Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1 cam + Longtubes + Untuned = Stalling ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 cam + Longtubes + Untuned = Stalling ?

Just put my lgm longtube headers on (x-pipe(no cats) o2 simms & stingers) and reconnected everything (inc. battery). Once i get it up to temp and a few miles on it the stalling subsides but the idle hunting is still there, and if i let it sit for 30 minutes i have to start all over and it will stall fast when at a stop. It only stalls when hunting for idle at a stop....it can idle in park no problemo and runs hard no problem.

It will hunt for about 3 seconds and stall very fast. Note that I only have 5 miles on the car since I put the tubes in & I did have a bit of stalling while the computer learned the cam (months ago) but it was less severe.
I have a six speed and i'm on the stock heads and have the AIR disconnected (this could not be a vacuum leak -- i think).

Do i have to get a tune or will my computer compensate for this set up.
The cam is a 222/222...566/566 on a 112.

Thanks to anyone who can help...i do not think i skrewed anything up when installing the headers.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:28 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the C1 is within the stock pcm's perameters to accomidate basic driving around. im confused, you say it'll idle in park and then yet you say you have a 6sp. do you mean it'll idle in neutral or with the clutch disengaged? i'd atap the car and check it over mechanically. if it all turns out good your just in need of a proper tune for being rich. you can drill out your TB a bit to help with idle. when you !Air you did run the proper block off plates did you not?
Old 03-05-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Parked in neutral clutch not engaged & yes i have the block off plates.
I hope that the computer adapts after 80 miles or so.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm..oddley enough after 9 miles it starts and runs perfectly. Even better than it did with just the cam. I thought that it might it, it seemed lean & maybe the headers helped that. Or it could have been a fluke and i'll go out there and it will suck.
I wonder how long my starter will last with all this heat?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Launching!

if your new headers are coated in something there should be even less heat than stock crap. starter should be all good! if not, then i dont know. ive never heard of a non coated header causing starter problems on ls1's.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, if the headers are coated heat shouldn't be a problem... my headers were coated by Performance Coatings, and you can literally touch the headers a couple of minutes after shutting down. Couldn't even get your hand near the stock stuff right after shutting down.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

They are t304 aluminum and won't rust and i did not worry about the heat until now. I have not heard of any starter problems specifically from one source but I've heard them mentioned here and there.
Just took it out again and it runs like a champ. Thats a load off my mind. Although it stalled after a ballz out 0-85mph run down Wooward a minute ago. But that was the first of many and I doubt it will reoccur. Its still idled dead on at 850 when i restarted it. I will get pulled over due to the attention the noise causes when i'm on it though.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a C1. Theoretically, a "small" cam like the C1 should idle fine on stock PCM tuning. Funny thing is that the C1 needed LS1Edit tuning on my car for it to run correctly without dying at stoplights. After Edit, it ran fine. I never drilled out the TB hole.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yes the idle at lights makes me a bit nervous, it drops pretty low before it picks up. What effect did tuning have exactly ? Did you bump the idle up to 900 and call it a day? I do not believe you can / should drill the t-body on a vette -- i read that somewhere.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mirek
Yes the idle at lights makes me a bit nervous, it drops pretty low before it picks up. What effect did tuning have exactly ? Did you bump the idle up to 900 and call it a day? I do not believe you can / should drill the t-body on a vette -- i read that somewhere.
Bumping the idle helps.
Tuning not only gets the cam to run well, it also milks a good 5-15 more ponies out of the setup (sometimes even more) when tuned on the dyno.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

i had no problems at all when i installed the c1,lt's and heads. my car ran almost as good as stock untuned.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

It is running well now. A bit of idle hunt.
LGM's, x-pipe & stinger sounds incredible...really woke the cam up. I am no doubt running rich....glad i got the z06 clutch when i did, its alot stronger.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

better get something stronger then the z06 clutch if you plan on sticky tires. the z06 clutch isn't too much stronger then stock.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Researched it & drilled a 1/8 hole. Idle hunting solved.
It looks like tuning would have altered the drive by wire t-body so that it would be a fraction open but this would make the car act as if it were at that same fraction under throttle. Evidently you can only do this so much without tripping a code & that makes sense. No downside to the hole and it works perfectly & I like the thumpy idle I do not want it raised.
Took some digging to get through some of the well meaning misinformation on the vette site.
Good to go now thanks for the help guys see you on Woodward.