Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Crank only turns 180°

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have never heard of the need to clearance piston skirts unless they are the wrong pistons.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

If even one piston hits the crank and prevents it from turning 360 degrees, how was the engine assembled? To install eight pistons & rods, you need to rotate the crank several times.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

I've no idea, it showed up like that when I had it shipped to me...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JeremyKrauss
no I bought the entire car from someone the motor was incomplete
dingdingding!!!

this is why the car got sold. i'd imagine you got it at one of those "too good to be true" low prices too?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Nope lol paid $7k for her. Missing lots of stuff. Bought it sight unseen from a member here while I was deployed overseas. I'm about $13k into it now. He refuses to reimburse any of it, saying that he would have had it ready if I hadn't been so impatient and had it shipped to me six months after I paid for it.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

yikes!!! dam....sorry about that.

i try to not buy ANYTHING expensive sight unseen.

was/am looking for a flatbed. i've got limited funds to spend on one.....thought i found a decent old chevy for less than 5k. the guy's local, was gonna bring it by my shop. then when he didn't show, it was because the clutch went bad. then he's offering it to me for 3500 as is. the story changed too many times during our conversations. from runs great to bad clutch to it makes noise at 50mph.
i'm making a phone call today on a ford with a 460 19ft alum. bed, and a 5 speed.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I just wish I'd been patient enough to just wait until I got home to purchase a car that I'd seen running and driving...probably would've spent the same amount. So by the time I was $13k into my car, it would be seriously upgraded.
On the plus side, I've learned a ton about this car. Kind of feel like I have a connection with it, if that doesn't sound too strange. And made great friends with my mechanic (just imagine, give somebody a good couple thousand dollars and you'll have a friend!). He's donating a bunch of parts and we do a lot of the work together over a couple of beers.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JeremyKrauss
I just wish I'd been patient enough to just wait until I got home to purchase a car that I'd seen running and driving...probably would've spent the same amount. So by the time I was $13k into my car, it would be seriously upgraded.
On the plus side, I've learned a ton about this car. Kind of feel like I have a connection with it, if that doesn't sound too strange. And made great friends with my mechanic (just imagine, give somebody a good couple thousand dollars and you'll have a friend!). He's donating a bunch of parts and we do a lot of the work together over a couple of beers.
i've got quite a few customers i've become friends with through working on their hot rods.
we like working on them, when we get the chance. every guy whos hot rod i've worked on has been cool people. from the guy with the 69 302 powered z28.....which i friggin LOVED that car......to the guy with the 89 gta that i'm working on right now......these are cool guys.
the guy that used to own the z28 moved to mass., but comes back to visit nj once a year. he always makes it a point to stop in the shop to bs for awhile.

here's another possible bright side on your car........if you don't get this engine going, you've got what sounds like an otherwise decent car, just BEGGING for a crate motor.

also, i wouldn't feel bad on the being impatient part......we've ALL done it at least once.
what DOES **** me off, is if the guy knowingly sold you the car with basically an effed up engine.....it pisses me off to no end to see someone take advantage of those that protect our country.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thread caught my eye....LOL

Whats really scary is considering the extremely basic operation of the crank spinning was overlooked, how much detail was paid to the dozens of other clearances and small details that can make or break (pun intended) an engine??

Scary stuff......OP, good luck working it all out!

-Tony
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Well, we basically redid the whole thing...had a cracked head from the last guy forcing a steel spark plug into it after he'd stripped the threads, so i had to replace that...lots of little things.

But, she fired the other day. I'm putting the exhaust on next time i go over there, and then we'll hook up the fuel lines and see what happens
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

glad to see its finally working out. have fun!

Quick Reply: Help! Crank only turns 180°