Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would A Shop Charge To Put In Connecting Rod Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would A Shop Charge To Put In Connecting Rod Bolts?

I am currently a full time student now and do not have access to tools to do this job. Wondering how much a shop would charge to put in some Katech Connecting Rod Bolts. Thanks in advance. Car is a 02 C5Z, nitrous car.

http://store.katechengines.com/conne...bolts-p25.aspx
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Anyone, bump.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say all shops charge differently, and some shops will prolly charge more if they arent familiar with ls motors. If you can get the oil pan off without dropping the k member probaly a few hundred bucks. If the have to drop the kmember your looking at alot more. Prolly tripple that. Whats the reason behind this anyway? If its a stock ls1 leave it be its fine until you have a decent amount of power ir boost.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say all shops charge differently, and some shops will prolly charge more if they arent familiar with ls motors. If you can get the oil pan off without dropping the k member probaly a few hundred bucks. If the have to drop the kmember your looking at alot more. Prolly tripple that. Whats the reason behind this anyway? If its a stock ls1 leave it be its fine until you have a decent amount of power or boost.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a write-up on the internet on how to DIY on a LS1. You should check it out then decide who's gonna do it, you or the shop...

http://www.ls1engine.com/tech/98-02-...-bolt-install/
Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to replace the connecting rod bolts on an 02 ls6. It if were an 00 or early ls1 then it would probably be in your best interest but you'd be crazy to let some shop crack open your motor and put rod bolts in for spray. You can spray 150 at it all day long if tuned and set up properly.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help guys and yeah been reading a few how to's on corvetteforum and its just to much work for me to do when I am at school. I am going with a bigger shot size and want to make sure not to stretch these stock rod bolts while spinning the car past 7k. Just trying to see what I can get out of the Stock LS6 until I go boost and throw a new engine in her. FYI I have ARP head studs already.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
No need to replace the connecting rod bolts on an 02 ls6. It if were an 00 or early ls1 then it would probably be in your best interest but you'd be crazy to let some shop crack open your motor and put rod bolts in for spray. You can spray 150 at it all day long if tuned and set up properly.
I run that already 125 and 150. On the 125 I made 585rwhp but have not dynoed the 150 yet. My set up is Trex cam stock 243 heads/intake ect ect, with full bolt on's and 125 shot with nano. I am wanting to switch to a 200-250.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Default Rod Bolts

I say do NOT do it!! I have heard many times about people just putting in new stronger rod bolts without resizing the rods and in a short time they have spun bearings. My 2 cents.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Footlead
I say do NOT do it!! I have heard many times about people just putting in new stronger rod bolts without resizing the rods and in a short time they have spun bearings. My 2 cents.
That would be correct for ARP as they do need to be resized but the Katech's are "suppose" to be a true bolt in mod with zero modification to the rods.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have more to worry about than rod bolts if you plan on a 250 shot on stock pistons. I'd be worried about cracking a ring land on the piston before those rod bolts give out. Spinning over 7K?

The Katech rod bolts are nice for stock rods though. Yes, word is that on the Katechs you dont have to resize. But, I would hate to crack open the bottom end just to do bolts. You can drop the K-member and front suspension to remove the oil pan and get to it. It's work though
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve01SS
You have more to worry about than rod bolts if you plan on a 250 shot on stock pistons. I'd be worried about cracking a ring land on the piston before those rod bolts give out. Spinning over 7K?

The Katech rod bolts are nice for stock rods though. Yes, word is that on the Katechs you dont have to resize. But, I would hate to crack open the bottom end just to do bolts. You can drop the K-member and front suspension to remove the oil pan and get to it. It's work though
Thanks man, guess ill just stay with the 150 and maybe go up to 175 for those close races. Just seems like I should wait till a new engine is needed. Just wanted to see what I could do with a LS6.