Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 or L92 head for most bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 or L92 head for most bang for the buck

I just picked up a LQ4 cheap, I already have a set of 799 heads here I was going to get them ported, My questions is should I sell them and buy a set of L92 heads and have them ported which set will make more power on a 6.0? I know I would also need a new intake with the L92 heads as my LS6 intake wont work,
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it depends on where you want your power. In my opinion, for a street car using the LS2 heads would be a better idea because you will be able to bump compression and get a broad powerband. The L92 heads move a lot of air but since they have such a large runner, combustion chamber, and intake valve that you will notice a real loss in low end power. So for a street car I like the LS2s because you will get some compression back while still picking up good power.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I think it depends on where you want your power. In my opinion, for a street car using the LS2 heads would be a better idea because you will be able to bump compression and get a broad powerband. The L92 heads move a lot of air but since they have such a large runner, combustion chamber, and intake valve that you will notice a real loss in low end power. So for a street car I like the LS2s because you will get some compression back while still picking up good power.
Thank you I will be buying my Cam, headers, and everything else from you guys at TSP
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is great to hear! Let me know if you have any questions on what you are looking at!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget the bang for the buck on heads. Do you want a free toaster with them too? I had cnc l92 heads and they made great power. I then switched to out of the box trickflow and gained 20hp and 15tq over the bang for the buck head. Also,i lowered my compression with a thicker gasket on the trick flow heads and still gained on the dyno and at the tack. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mike c.
Forget the bang for the buck on heads. Do you want a free toaster with them too? I had cnc l92 heads and they made great power. I then switched to out of the box trickflow and gained 20hp and 15tq over the bang for the buck head. Also,i lowered my compression with a thicker gasket on the trick flow heads and still gained on the dyno and at the tack. You get what you pay for.
Well I guess some of us aren't as Independently wealthy as other, hence me asking for bang for the buck. Why is it that you can't ask a simple question on here without some GOOBER chiming in with his opinion and a STUPID comment? Isn't that what help forums are for GETTING HELP
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can swing it I would get ai to do some work on them.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For me LS3 heads are the clear bang-for-the-buck winner. They are $700 brand new for a pair right from GM, and most importantly, the stock LS3 intake/injectors/fuel rail is available cheap, and will also support high horsepower. When you're considering costs, you have to take your intake manifold into account. The LS6 intake isn't bad, but good deals are somewhat hard to find, and if you want something to flow better than the LS6 intake, now you're into FAST territory, which really adds a lot to your cost. You may give up some low end torque to the LS2 heads, but if you cam the LS3 heads right, they'll do very well down low.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
For me LS3 heads are the clear bang-for-the-buck winner. They are $700 brand new for a pair right from GM, and most importantly, the stock LS3 intake/injectors/fuel rail is available cheap, and will also support high horsepower. When you're considering costs, you have to take your intake manifold into account. The LS6 intake isn't bad, but good deals are somewhat hard to find, and if you want something to flow better than the LS6 intake, now you're into FAST territory, which really adds a lot to your cost. You may give up some low end torque to the LS2 heads, but if you cam the LS3 heads right, they'll do very well down low.
Thanks What type of cam would you use? and are you talking LS3 unported? also my car has an Ls6 intake on it now.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would honestly save the money on the intake swap and send your heads to Advanced Inductions for some mild work. The L92/LS3 heads are great, but only really start to shine on a 4.065" and larger bore and mostly north of 400 cubes.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I would honestly save the money on the intake swap and send your heads to Advanced Inductions for some mild work. The L92/LS3 heads are great, but only really start to shine on a 4.065" and larger bore and mostly north of 400 cubes.
I am using my LS6 intake and am considering AI for my head work. Thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gs462
Well I guess some of us aren't as Independently wealthy as other, hence me asking for bang for the buck. Why is it that you can't ask a simple question on here without some GOOBER chiming in with his opinion and a STUPID comment? Isn't that what help forums are for GETTING HELP
hey bro, that guy is right...you get what you pay for. and you dont have to go with bang for the buck heads, you can always save up a little longer to get what you really want.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
hey bro, that guy is right...you get what you pay for. and you dont have to go with bang for the buck heads, you can always save up a little longer to get what you really want.
I do understand what he is saying as I've said the same thing myelf, I believe a set of fully ported 799's isn't a cheap way to go and I'm not trying to get off cheap I just wanted to know which set of heads the experts would spend their money on given the rest of my planned combo.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks What type of cam would you use? and are you talking LS3 unported? also my car has an Ls6 intake on it now.
I didn't do a whole lot of cam homework for stock-cube motors since I wound up sticking my LS3 heads on a 402 LQ9 stroker, but the beauty of LS3 heads is that they respond best to mild cams. I'd guess something in the 220/225 to 225/230 range would probably work really well on a stock cube LS2. The only time these heads don't make power seems to be when guys over cam them and wind up with too much valve overlap.

I was referring to bone stock, unported LS3 heads.

As for the LS6 intake, I guess it boils down to what kind of power levels you expect to achieve. The LS6 intake is a good intake, but is a proven restriction compared to a FAST. Again, if higher horsepower levels are your goal, the LS6 could potentially become a bottleneck, and once you get to that point and have to include the cost of a FAST intake, the LS3 heads start to get much more appealing.

LS3 heads and intake can be bought for the same price as a new FAST intake. Once you start talking about new heads and an intake, the LS3 becomes the bargain. If you're talking about reaching power levels where the LS6 intake can still be retained, then that means different head options may start to look better.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do understand what he is saying as I've said the same thing myelf, I believe a set of fully ported 799's isn't a cheap way to go and I'm not trying to get off cheap I just wanted to know which set of heads the experts would spend their money on given the rest of my planned combo.

Thanks for the help.
Don't overlook used heads - sometimes you can find some very nice pieces with little user for a lot less than new. Check the classified section of this forum as well as Craigs list in your area.

Quick Reply: LS2 or L92 head for most bang for the buck