Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My oil smells like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it possibly be your cam is shot causing over fueling, anyway as i've mentioned to you before....your bores are being washed. Obviously you have'nt listened.
Continue and yes your engine will be 'shot'
Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I drive the car every day, unless I want every penny I make eaten up by my truck's engine, I don't have many options really.

I'm saving up/planning to replace this engine, but I want to take care of any "easy fix" items on it to extend the life. If it's something like a worn cam, or bad rings, or bad lifters, I'm just gonna put up with it. If it's injectors, or coils, I can fix that.

I have 4 new O2 sensors (they're not the best.. bosch.. I've heard bad things about these, but I never get a code from em..)

The tape that was on it actually came that way in the box. I agree it looked like a bad idea.. as soon as the fuel hit it it seemed to dissolve. I got the gauge from TSP. It might be a generic pressure gauge or something?

I can do the pressure leakdown and ohm test the injectors. How would I go about shutting off the return line? Obv. it did leak down some in testing but.. the return line was open AND the gauge had a tiny leak, so.. that's not really an exact science.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

lol no i wasnt asking for help....its my beater neon.......just sayin that it smells to and it runs fine so the smell and his lack of performance may not be related thats all
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I can do the pressure leakdown and ohm test the injectors. How would I go about shutting off the return line? Obv. it did leak down some in testing but.. the return line was open AND the gauge had a tiny leak, so.. that's not really an exact science.
you need to pinch the fuel return line that is going to the fuel pump... not sure what model ride you have but in my vette you have to remove the fuel door pannel (where you fill the car up with gas), remove the rubber boot that is directly under the door, once this is done it will expose your rubber fuel lines that go to and come from the fuel pump. there are special locking pliers that are designed to pinch the fuel line but in a "pinch" (hahaha) you can use some needle nose vice grips and an old shirt (on the inside of the vice grips as not to damage the rubber fuel lines) and clamp off the lines... which is the fuel return line,, well if you not sure i would just turn the key on (pressurize the fuel system) then turn it off and clamp all the lines that you see going into and out of the fuel tank/pump area (area described above) there should be 3 lines in total, a return line, a feed line and an evap line. location of your fuel pump may very depending on model (never worked on TA's or Camaro's just alot of corvette's). hope this helps you out,,, hit me back if you need some more guidance.... also post up you Ohm numbers for each injector (they should all Ohm out roughly about the same).
Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

00 Z28. Fuel tank is in no man's land.
another test a friend of mine came up with for testing this, it's a bit messier..

basically.. his idea was. loosen and remove the fuel rails so that the injectors are exposed on one side, prime the pump.. watch for leakage, repeat on other side.

Quick Reply: My oil smells like gas?