Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise after Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise after Cam Install

I was wondering if anybody's valvetrain got noisy after going from a stock cam to an aggressive cam? My car never made a ticking noise when it was stock but now there's ticking in the motor. The ticking gets more rapid the higher the RPM but gets quiet at idle. It almost sounds like a bent pushrod but I replaced them with hardend pushrods when we rebuilt the motor and I havent abused the motor yet. It has about 1100 miles now since we rebuilt the motor. Is the ticking noise normal? My mods are in my sig
Old 03-10-2004, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there before. Do a search on "ticking" in the internal department. You'll get several hours worth of info to read.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

The problem is the base circle is smaller on high lift cams. Shorter pushrods are almost always needed if you do not mill your heads.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Launching!

My valvetrain did get a lot louder after I installed my heads and cam.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Where did you here this? I wasn't told to shorten the pushrods on my f11 cam. Most run the stock length with a cam change unless heads are milled.

Originally Posted by Larry
The problem is the base circle is smaller on high lift cams. Shorter pushrods are almost always needed if you do not mill your heads.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
Where did you here this? I wasn't told to shorten the pushrods on my f11 cam. Most run the stock length with a cam change unless heads are milled.
Measure the base circle of all the aftermarket high lift cams and you will see what I'm talking about. With a smaller base circle you will get less lifter preload.

There is certainly some tolerance in required lifter preload but if you reduce it much the lifters will get noisy. This is why so many complain of a noisy valve train after cam install.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Launching!

If the base circle is smaller wouldn't you run a longer pushrod if any?

Measure the base circle of all the aftermarket high lift cams and you will see what I'm talking about. With a smaller base circle you will get less lifter preload.

There is certainly some tolerance in required lifter preload but if you reduce it much the lifters will get noisy. This is why so many complain of a noisy valve train after cam install.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:53 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell ... I have never ever heard anyone say anything about this.

I was under the impression the louder valvetrain was do to the lighter valvetrain components one usually installs with an aftermarket cam, and the higher lifts involved in the aftermarket cams.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I just recently installed a FMS F11 and I have the "sewing machine" noise that everyone has heard of for the last coulple of years with cams of these specs, if different length pushrods were required to lessen this sound I would think that this would be informed to all that purchase cams with these specs?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
If the base circle is smaller wouldn't you run a longer pushrod if any?
Yes, if you run the correct length push rod the preload will be adjusted back within tolerance. This is assuming the geometry was correct in the first place.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I just recently installed a FMS F11 and I have the "sewing machine" noise that everyone has heard of for the last coulple of years with cams of these specs, if different length pushrods were required to lessen this sound I would think that this would be informed to all that purchase cams with these specs?
You would think so!

I really don't think a lot of the guys selling cam know to tell you this.

Anytime you change cam, heads or whatever that might change geometry, you need to check to be sure the rocker tip is moving on the center of the valve tip and the proper preload is adjusted into the lifters.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Launching!

I dunno man, i think the sewing machine noise is caused by the valves opening and closing fast. I've yet to see someone sell anything above a 7.4 pushrod so I definitely don't think they're necessary for a cam swap.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Well I was reading a few days back and saw that the stock pushrods are indeed smaller than the 7.4. I believe they are about 7.35. So by running 7.4 you are running a slightly longer pushrod to account for the difference in base circle with the new cam. Oh, and my cam install went well and i have no real valvtrain noises besides some soothing machinery moving type sounds (best way to describe it)
Old 03-25-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Ive got a loud exhaust... solved my valvetrain noise
Old 03-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Restricted User

Stock push rod = 7.375". If you change the cam only, the base circle is .030 smaller so to get back to the exact preload you would need a 7.405". Since there isn't one, most people go with a 7.400" which is fine. Now if you have heads and cam you would need shorter push rods depending how much they were milled.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Teching In

run unleaded race fuel, the noises will dissapear
Old 04-12-2004, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

One noise I noticed after doing my cam swap was that my injectors were all making loud ticking noises... I found it was the injectors by listening through a small tube around the block. Doesn't seem to hurt performance and it sometimes goes away if I throw in a bottle of techron.

Quick Reply: Noise after Cam Install