Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who to entrust to do a custom grind cam? Futral or Ed Curtis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a custom grind futral cam in my car and it works very well. its been in there about 2 years now and still makes great power.. My brothers z28 back in 04' was the first to receive the Ron jeremy cam and his made 426rwhp through a 12 bolt. I'm sure either way you go you will receive a good product but I'd definitely repeat business with futral/
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ss454327
Who grinds the cams for Cam Motion? How many cam mfgs are actually out there? There are many brands of cams but I'm not sure if it's like other products where only a couple of houses built all the parts.

Crower
Crane
Lunati
Comp
Isky

I think all these places actually MAKE cams. Most speed shops buy cams ground on their lobes. I noticed Crane has some killer looking LS1 grinds (240/246 .600/.600) but I can't find jack crap on Tech about them.
Cam Motion manufactures in-house.

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Curious who grinds EPS & Pat g spec'd cams, Does EPS has a machine shop?
Buddy got a Pat G cam spec'd and it was cut with Comp. You could take the custom specs and give them to another cam manufacturer however lobe selection may be different between the two companies.

I'm running an actual Cam Motion grind and have been pleased with it this far. I have a couple of threads relating to it. Feel free to check them out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...und-clips.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html

Gentlemen, I find it extremely rude to come in and cheerlead for a company/information the OP isn't even asking about. If you don't have something productive to offer then move on. Simple as that. I have no problems with general discussion and chatter, but a few of yall are taking it too far.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 11-06-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:37 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't placed my order yet, but to me, the choice was clear. Ed Curtis.

After reading through some threads about Futral; Nothing against his work, as I'm positive it's top 2%, but for me, everything I've read about Ed puts him top 1%.

Either way, you can't go WRONG.

And just to throw another wrench in the equation... Geoff Skinner?

Just my opinion.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 11-04-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Since you are the only one that has a scrap bin full, did you ever think maybe it is you? Sorry, you set yourself up for that one. Have you talked to Comp about this problem you are seeing?
Nah. I talk to 4 other large shops in the southeast on a regular basis. It's not just me. FWIW, all the cars that have cam into my shop because a cam fell apart were built elsewhere. Not here.

Originally Posted by ss454327
Who grinds the cams for Cam Motion?
Cam Motion is a manufacturer. They grind their own cams, and send an actual doctor sheet out the door with every cam before it ships. Something Comp does not do, they give you a generic spec sheet which isn't right half the time anyway.

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Curious who grinds EPS & Pat g spec'd cams, Does EPS has a machine shop?
Comp.

If you choose to go with EPS, Pat G, Ed, whoever. Most of them do offer a service where the cam can be sent to them and QC checked to make sure it's accurate. It's as few dollars more, but worth every penny if you're going with a Comp grind and don't know how to check a cam in the engine to see where it really is. "Dot to dot" can be dangerous if a camshaft intake closing point is 4-5 degrees off of where it should be.

Happy motoring.....
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I will help you out there buddy.

Cam Motion manufactures in-house.

Buddy got a Pat G cam spec'd and it was cut with Comp. You could take the custom specs and give them to another cam manufacturer however lobe selection may be different between the two companies.

I'm running an actual Cam Motion grind and have been pleased with it this far. I have a couple of threads relating to it. Feel free to check them out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...und-clips.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html

Gentlemen, I find it extremely rude to come in and cheerlead for a company/information the OP isn't even asking about. If you don't have something productive to offer then move on. Simple as that. I have no problems with general discussion and chatter, but a few of yall are taking it too far.

Thank you 01ssreda4. I will check out those threads for sure. I know both guys put out quality products and can "get done" what I want, so now, I guess it's more about what lobes will be used. I've checked out the FTI website and I really like how Ed emphasizes on a true "custom grind" cam based on your specific goals and usage and he also talks about his own profiles and proprietary lobes. Keep the info coming in guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, to the OP. My replies were pertaining to Ed vs. Futral. Ed is Comp, Futral is Cam Motion.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Also, to the OP. My replies were pertaining to Ed vs. Futral. Ed is Comp, Futral is Cam Motion.
Thanks Damian. I appreciate your input. I know your definately know your ****. Does Cam Motion have info on their cam lobes like Comp does?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I honestly know nothing about CMs actual lobes. I am running one of their "shelf" grinds. I emailed them, and got personally invited to call the owner, and speak to him regarding my questions. Never did get around to it, though one day I just might. I did notice when installing my cam, the lobes looked fairly aggressive compared to the TR224 that came out of the engine.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I honestly know nothing about CMs actual lobes. I am running one of their "shelf" grinds. I emailed them, and got personally invited to call the owner, and speak to him regarding my questions. Never did get around to it, though one day I just might. I did notice when installing my cam, the lobes looked fairly aggressive compared to the TR224 that came out of the engine.
It's just a question I've always had. I guess I need to give Cam Motion a call and get the anwers straight from the horses mouth. Going with Furtral who uses Cam Motion intrigues me because everyone, well almost everyone, uses a Comp ground cam.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

What'd you pick?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im surprised no one has recommended bullet..... I'd go with them before anyone listed in this thread. And comp grinds about 90% of the custom grind cams out there.

Quick Reply: Who to entrust to do a custom grind cam? Futral or Ed Curtis?