Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost oil pressure temporarily and more issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default lost oil pressure temporarily and more issues

I have a new ls1 motor with some oil pressure issues. the opsu is brand new. Was great at first run but Ever since the first start and break in, I have been getting lower and lower oil pressure. I have great oil pressure when cold but after it warms up it has been getting lower and lower. At first it would have about 40 psi at warm idle. Now it has just less than 20 psi at warm idle. It does go up with rpms still. oil is full and new.

But the strangest thing is that sitting in traffic today i lost all of my oil pressure at idle so i shut it down and pulled over. After a minute or two i started it back up to see what happens and i had normal (not low) oil pressure. WHAT GIVES??
I am open to any advise. Does this sound like the oring issue?
I did not build this motor and i tried to get the info on it from the builder but the motor builder is long gone. I didnt buy it from the builder and the guy i bought the motor from didnt have any info on it either. Well now what LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too.
I reached the end of the highway exit as pressure went to zero. After turning the engine off while waiting for a light, it was restarted, which gave me 20 lbs. I pulled the car back into the garage and won't be driving it again until this can be resolved.
This is the second time it happened...the previous time, I thought that the cause was sticking injector/gas in the oil. Bec the problem is intermittant, I no longer think that gas is the problem. An oil & filter change was done after the first occurance.
Hope I don't have to take things apart, but it's now looking that way.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tom, this might have some meaning for you.
from the Gen III/internal forum...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pressure.html
Old 11-08-2011, 08:56 AM
9 Second Club

can someone please chime in and tell me its probably not a bearing! but most likely just the oil pump? Unless of course thats not true
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When mine acted like that it was in the process of walking a cam bearing out. The more I ran it the lower the pressure dropped until the dreaded CHECK GAUGES light lite up. Hope yours isn't.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC98Z
When mine acted like that it was in the process of walking a cam bearing out. The more I ran it the lower the pressure dropped until the dreaded CHECK GAUGES light lite up. Hope yours isn't.
Did your pressure go back up, after you shut off the engine and restarted it?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by i420tom
Did your pressure go back up, after you shut off the engine and restarted it?
It would go back up to about 20#s and then start its way back down. I called AAA.