Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my top end build!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks good man. Love the paint and the Raptor hood. I would definitely go with a new oil pump and timing chain, and for more peace of mind you could consider LS7 or Caddy race lifters and LS2 trays.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips and such. I guess I'll slow down and wait til I can afford the pump and chain and everything. Any advice on what to get? I've heard some things about Melling being good, but mostly only used for high-RPM applications, so should I be good with a ported LS6? What seals/gaskets/etc do I need to get for that area?

Mostly, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I need for the top of the engine, but I'm a little foggy on the front and back stuff. I've seen people talk about replacing the rear main seal and other stuff, and I haven't the slightest idea about all that, so I'm just looking for basically a checklist of all the stuff I'm going to need.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading a few threads about manifold swaps, I've seen a lot of people having trouble with removing/replacing the oil pressure sending unit. My isn't bad (yet?) as far as I know, but from what I've read, it's only a matter of time. It should be cheap peace of mind, so I figure I'll go ahead and replace that while I'm in there. I found a thread with an excellent writeup with pictures:

DIY - Junkman's Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement/Relocation for Dummies!

It's actually on a vette, but should be the same.

Other than that, my cry for help still stands:
Originally Posted by brutalis
Mostly, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I need for the top of the engine, but I'm a little foggy on the front and back stuff. I've seen people talk about replacing the rear main seal and other stuff, and I haven't the slightest idea about all that, so I'm just looking for basically a checklist of all the stuff I'm going to need.
Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Help with my top end build!