Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I am Going to need a new shortblock.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think I am Going to need a new shortblock.

Well two weekends ago my car while cruising on the highway pops on the CEL. Drive to my girls house about another 2 miles. Pull in pop the hood and here a new noise a lite knocking noise so i park it and have it towed home. This was one week after drag racing at a track rental day.

So haven't driven it since got around to working on it this week. Started with the valve covers to check the rockers and springs. Everything up there is good damn that is the easiest fix.

Then yesterday time to drain the oil and take a look at the filter. Cut the filter open but there was only a small amount of flakes in there. Then I got to the bottom of my drain pan I found a small amount of gold flakes that are able to be felt between the fingers. Then the second drain pan i found 3 pieces that are about the size of a needle width wise and 1/3 inch long rod bearing?

Kinda sucks as my pilot bearing just blew up twice I had to spend a bunch to get it fixed right the second time. New clutch, rebuilt the torque tube had the input shaft machined to fit a c6 ball bearing unit.
Plus i just did my head/cam swap like 5 months ago. So have not had much time to enjoy it lately. Looks like I will be doing a stroker sooner then I thought lol.

Last edited by ZGLASS; 11-17-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at some TSP short blocks or go to scwanke motors website.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have several options on our website, but if you want to give us a call, we will be happy to help you come up with the combination you are looking for.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i say you do a 408 shortblock from TSP thats my plan when my engine goes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My guess is the first pilot bearing disaster put undue stress on the main thrust
bearing which sent the metal flakes towards the closest rod bearing.....
trashing that to the point of knocking. Very sorry to hear this and I also
agree with the TSP 408/427 idea.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

going to talk to my shop about options. See the price to do a base 383 out of my block.Not my first choice but it could be the cheapest. I also have a local who has 75% of the parts to put together an ls7. Block is already honed for stock pistons. I can get all the parts for a good deal. Heads milled to 64cc with ss valves and dual vavle springs, ls7 intake mani with rail and inj. Good crank melling oil pump timing set. Just need to get all the smaller parts to finish it up, cam, throttle body, bearings gaskets bolts.Then part out my long block and recoup some of the money. Not sure yet tough as this is probably going to cost a pretty penny!