Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Stripped a rocker bolt

Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Stripped a rocker bolt

So im finally putting my 6.0 together with my 243 heads i bought from a someone online and the last rocker i went to put on the hole is stripped. this is upsetting because both heads are on and all the other rocker went on fine. What do i do? longer bolts? tap it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the head and helicoil it
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What he said. Best and most reliable way to do it. Ive seen it done on the car but you must be VERY CAREFUL about the shavings!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is an LS1 Time-Sert thread insert kit, it includes drill/tap/insert for the rocker bolt hole... it's a matter of finding someone who has a kit.

+1 what they said above metal shavings.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it intake or exhaust, and if intake does the hole penetrate the intake port? I have done some heads on the car but the holes were blind. If the hole is not blind its not worth the risk on a new motor IMO and the head should be removed.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Why does the head have to be removed removed? Isn't there an easy option? Where do I find these helicoils and what size do I need? This blows.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Teching In

I think its an exhaust. Its the 4th one back on drivers side. It was getting dark and I went inside wehn it happed so I didn't loft a wrench through a window. I was thinking it might be easy like a longer bolt or something
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the head doesn't HAVE to be removed, but it's the safer way to do it. If you keep the head on the car, you need to be very careful not to get metal shavings all over the place. As far as I know, all of the rocker bolt holes should be blind on stock, non CNC'd heads (though you need to verify this first!!!), so you shouldn't have issues with the shavings falling into the intake or exhaust ports. Once you confirm that, tape off the entire cylinder head so that absolutely no material can get into the head. Make sure you have plenty of grease in the stripped hole, then drill it while you have a buddy holding a shop vac right next to you. The grease should contain all of the shavings, but if it doesn't, the shop vac will suck them up. Make sure you grease/oil the tap so that you catch those shavings too, then insert your helicoil, vacuum the whole taped area, and then pull the tape off. If you take your time, you won't get any shavings into your motor.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Okay did some reading online and this does not seem toe as abd as I was thinking. Can someone give me a COMPLETE list of what ill need ans stores that sell the helicoils. Tmrw is turkey day which means everywhere will e closed and ordering off the websites will take forever. Also people have posted about stacking coils to get proper depth, is that a good ide? Do I use loc tight?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Anyone know what size helicoil I need to find or have a link or part number to a kit?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FL_Cracker
Anyone know what size helicoil I need to find or have a link or part number to a kit?
There was another similar thread here within the past week or so stating 8mm x 1.25 pitch...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!! Stripped a rocker bolt