whoever packaged that thing is an ***
Yep WTF is that all about. That is HORRIBLE packaging! Man that is bad
Old 03-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antz01ta
whoever packaged that thing is an ***
I agree... that guy

If you were to use Loctite, I would go with 510 over 515 or 518. The 510 is a high temp, high strength gasketting version. (This is not an endorsement to use Loctite for this application though)
Old 03-13-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Man that packaging was horrible was that a pallet on a pallet? I packaged my own motor better than that and I had never shipped one before. Hopefully JD will make it right as it was not packaged correctly for shipping so technically it would seem that it would be the shippers responsibility to help you out.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
The way the scrach goes up to the sleeve and stops shows that the block was damaged before the sleeves went in. If you have a welder with the slightest hand, you can do a small bead and redeck the block taking it down to zero..
The Darton MID blocks, when done by Steve@RaceEngineering (co-inventor of the Darton MID setup) are decked AFTER the sleeves are installed. It's in the Darton's install instructions on their site. This is how all the Darton MID blocks are prepared.

angst, there's no way I'd use that setup as it sits right now. Unless the shop (JD) is going to warranty blown headgasket, coolant leaks, etc on all parts/labor in writing I WOULD NOT use it.

It's best to have it done correctly the first time. Please don't risk it unless you're VERY confident that it'll work just fine.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

They wrapped it in a plastic bag and shipped it ? WTF were they thinking ??
Old 03-13-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

In the the thread about Darton Wet sleeves it was posted several times the machining tolorance must be within 1/2 of a 1000th or .00005

It was also mentioned that the heat from cutting could cause variance in the deck if cooling wasn't used.

I don't understand how if the machining is that critical on a wet sleeve using JB Weld would be an acceptable repair on a .00009 to .00010 scratch.

Maybe someone in the know can explain why the block must be machined to .00005 with perfect consistancey and directed cooling to make sure the maching is perfect but it's ok to fill in scratches as deep as .00010 with JB Weld on the deck surface.

I think Nick @ ARE, APE and the others are right on the mark about strong concerns trying to band aid and use that block as is.

The packaging is lame. Who shipped out a mess like that?
Old 03-13-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

...that scratch is really bad. it definately will not seal the head gasket. Ship it back to the vendor and have them replace the block.

I would tell them that it is not acceptible for them to repair and deck the damaged block since you do not want a high compression engine and you paid for a perfect sleeved block...
Old 03-13-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

on the scratch being only on the deck and not on the sleeve, it is possible it was scratched by a material hard enough to damage the aluminum and not the alloy the sleve is made of.

On the shipping, Jd has seen these photo's, it was originally only on the uppermost pallet, the tiny little thing, which had begun to fall apart durring shipping. I believe fedex saw that and put it on the other pallet.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

agnst, did JD get JUST the block from RaceEng or did he get the block and the rotating assembly, installed, etc from RaceEng?

It was my understanding that Steve@RaceEng only builds and ships the Darton MID blocks, only. He can build motors but usually does just the MID blocks and ships them out to the LS1 shops.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Here we go again... From my discussion with Joe on this today he "stongly suggested" a company that comes in and builds the shipping crate and then takes full responsibility for the product. I guess that was about $500. Instead the buyer preferred to spend less and have it picked up by Fed-ex to save money and wasn't interested in getting one of the plastic crates for shipping either. Another case of "I saved a few $$$" That came back to bite someone later. I figured I better post this as JD won't post on here anymore and before this gets all one sided I figured I would post what I had heard on this.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Also, just got off the phone with Joe and that was not how the engine was shipped. I was shipped pan down and was much more protected. If you look at the pics some more you will see that some dipshit at fed ex that must have dumped the engine then put it on another pallet and then straped it down with tiestraps. If you look at the straps they say right on them "property of Fedex", I doubt too many people out there have property of Fedex straps.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by angst911
on the scratch being only on the deck and not on the sleeve, it is possible it was scratched by a material hard enough to damage the aluminum and not the alloy the sleve is made of.
Its more feasable that the scratch was in the block before the unblemished sleve went in. I understand the hardness issue but there isn't even a slight mark on the sleeve and the scratch is on all the aluminum before the sleeve border and it is at an angle. The builder figured the decking would remove it but gambled and lost.

I agree that the builder didn't get the block to the purchaser without a damged deck. I would get it replaced.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Launching!

One more thing. Once Fed-ex accepts it as freight and insures it they assume all liability and are saying that the shipping method is proper for transit. If it was packaged wrong for fed-ex they would not have taken it.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMFORLESS
One more thing. Once Fed-ex accepts it as freight and insures it they assume all liability and are saying that the shipping method is proper for transit. If it was packaged wrong for fed-ex they would not have taken it.
Big time agree with that and it is for the builder to take it up with FED-EX and get a new block to the buyer.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a $10k mistake and it's not your fault. No way no how would I even continue to build that motor, send it back and have them send you a new block.
-Steve
Old 03-13-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, I may not be a smart man, but I cannot even begin to take anyone seriously who is suggesting using JB weld on a high dollar set-up. Not to mention if you do the JB, any chance of anyone who may have been responsible owning up is gone. I know it will suck to have a bunch more down-time, but do you really want to risk have a $10k flower planter?
Old 03-13-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PCMFORLESS
Here we go again... From my discussion with Joe on this today he "stongly suggested" a company that comes in and builds the shipping crate and then takes full responsibility for the product. I guess that was about $500. Instead the buyer preferred to spend less and have it picked up by Fed-ex to save money and wasn't interested in getting one of the plastic crates for shipping either. Another case of "I saved a few $$$" That came back to bite someone later. I figured I better post this as JD won't post on here anymore and before this gets all one sided I figured I would post what I had heard on this.
I know he did not suggest that to me, sorry. He might have mentioned it to the other party involved in this, but the other party was not the one who was involved with the shipping. He asked me to find him a shipping company also. I didn't want to make this a big hoopla online. It was still his responsability to properly secure the block to the crate, and provide a crate that was solid enough. Fedex did accept the package, so it's their deal now. so it doesn't matter anyways.

I insured this for more than enough money to cover the entire motor. The issue now is going to be getting the insurance company to pay out, and for that I will need JD's cooperation also. Since I was the one who set up the shipping, I am the claimant, and I need to deal with fedex, not JD.

This thread was intended to ask peoples professional opinions on if they thought it was possible to get a proper seal, not to turn into a vendor bashing mess. Grow up guys.

Moderator, you mind cleaning this thread up?

Last edited by angst911; 03-13-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
Its more feasable that the scratch was in the block before the unblemished sleve went in. I understand the hardness issue but there isn't even a slight mark on the sleeve and the scratch is on all the aluminum before the sleeve border and it is at an angle. The builder figured the decking would remove it but gambled and lost.

I agree that the builder didn't get the block to the purchaser without a damged deck. I would get it replaced.
There's no way Steve@RaceEngineering installed sleeves in a block that had a gouge that large that couldn't be removed when the block got decked. He would have measured the depth of the gouge before proceeding.

Who installed the MID sleeves in the block? If Steve built it I can almost 100% bet that the deck was not marred in that way when he began the sleeve install procedure. I know he would not have proceeded further.

It had to have been damaged in shipping.

Angst, you're doing the right thing by having it covered by the shipping insurance.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive thrown newspapers back at the paperboy that looked better than that!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cant find my pics at the moment, but the crates we have from Steve and from APE and one other non-sponser are sealed plywood boxes that are very well constructed... none as good as the crate from APE... that thing would carry us over Niagara Falls.
I cant add any tech advise hear as you seek/// so good luck and I hope to someday see you've been refunded.