Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine block may have cracked, could low coolant have been culprit..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine block may have cracked, could low coolant have been culprit..

Ok this might be a silly question but ....... I think I actually may have cracked my block. When I looked at my coolant...the resevoir was bone dry and the radiator is about halfway or a bit less than half way...

my question is: could this amount of coolant or lack there of, have been insufficient enough to make the block crack? After reading symptoms of a cracked block ... I seem to be experiencing just that. This weekend hopefully I will find out for sure.

I take care of 4 cars now and completely lost track of the camaro's coolant level
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Are you having any overheating issues? Have you checked to see where the coolant has been going? Any smoke? Do a compression sest, and leakdown to be sure its not just a headgasket. Also check for a cracked resivoir, which may be able to drain down the radiator.
Blocks dont just crack for no reason. have you been beating it?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ~ReapeR~
Are you having any overheating issues? Have you checked to see where the coolant has been going? Any smoke? Do a compression sest, and leakdown to be sure its not just a headgasket. Also check for a cracked resivoir, which may be able to drain down the radiator.
Blocks dont just crack for no reason. have you been beating it?
My car doesn't stay on long enough to see if it over heats. The car idles violently ...it won't stay on unless I keep pumping gas and even pumping gas it won't rev very high as it just seems not to have power. I haven't seen any coolant going anywhere and I park at work on concrete so it would be easy to tell.

I have check fuel pressure and its 60psi right until it dies. Would a headgasket cause those type of issues to happen?

also the car was idling great until right before I heard a kind of metallic "pop" then it idled nasty then just died. The engine light is NOT on and I scan for codes. I used 2 programs and NONE found any active DTC codes BUT there were 5 "stored" codes, whatever that means.

1. P0135
Powertrain: HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

2. P0154
Powertrain: HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1

3. P0327
Powertrain: Knock Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

4. P0332
Powertrain: Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)

5. P0704
Powertrain: Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

Damn this is sucky