Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad caps can't cause fans to do anything, they have nothing to do with each other.

Fuses or relays.....thats your problem.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No of course a bad rad cap does'nt have anything to do with the electrically controlled cooling fan system but a bad rad cap can and will add to the overheating problem by not holding a predetermined pressure thus not having the intended boiling temp and it also allows coolant/water to escape the system in the form of steam. The cooling system is an important system and is most reliable when all the components of that system are within factory specs. But if You want to get technical actually a bad rad cap does have something to do with the cooling fans ,,,,,,,,,it will cause the need for the cooling fans sooner and will cause the cooling fans to not be powerful enough to keep the engine cool just not electrically .
Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

As the OP said the fans are not coming on even when hot enough to boil over, I suspect his problem is with the fans, not the radiator cap.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya that's what I ment about maby changing radiator cap but ima start working on it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Ima start workin on it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

So I went out to shop and befor I turn car on I changed all 3 relays with my cars and cap and befor I started car. I noticed that the resovor hose and t.b. hose looked wierd.So I checked my cars and there it was backwards turns out,car started over heating when it came back from tansmition shop and to get to trans coller line they removed both hoses for easer axsis and they put them back backwards and after waiting now with water still in radiator fans came on!... Turns out to be the simplist thing.problem fixed Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Cool!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gee ,,,,do Ya think Paul ? Maybe if You had read the whole thread You would'nt have to spout off thinkin You're the s__t or whatever ,,,,,,,,,,He already had My explanation on how to test the cooling fan circuit ,,,,,,,etc ,,,,,He asked about the rad cap so I explained a little about it ,,,,,,,cool ? k
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

^ now that's a great way to make friends around here! Very adult of you.

Common troubleshooting methods pointed to the OP having an electrical issue and common procedures would dictate he start there and eliminate the possible common causes of his problem first.

I never think "I'm the ****", just sharing the years of experience I have in fixing autos.

Perhaps you think you're the ****?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
^ now that's a great way to make friends around here! Very adult of you.

Common troubleshooting methods pointed to the OP having an electrical issue and common procedures would dictate he start there and eliminate the possible common causes of his problem first.

I never think "I'm the ****", just sharing the years of experience I have in fixing autos.

Perhaps you think you're the ****?
OP's car was overheating before it even got to the stock fan-on temp, ace.

Posting bad info isn't a great way to make pals here either...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry if I was a little jumpy but I had already listed in order of occurance #'s 1 through 5 most likely causes of the fans not working off of the temp sending unit and computer control so He was armed with enough info to not only get started but most likely find the problem . I listed #1 possibility as a fuse #2 as 1 or more of the 3 relays that in part control the fans and #3 as the temp sending unit #4 the fan itself although I did'nt ask and I don't remember if both fans come on with the a/c on ,,,,,,,,,etc and I explained to him where to find the resistance the temp sending unit is at certain temps and to plug a resistor of a value corresponding to a temp that fans should under their own control come on at like 220deg fahr and I told him since it's winter time there is a good possibility there is a problem with head gasket sealing or maybe crack or warpage of the cyl head as if it was right it would not overheat as fast as it was ,,,,,,,,,,,the cap was just somethin he inquired about so I just provided him with a little procedure and engine and personal safety procedure as well and since from what he said it sounded like a possibility his was weak,,,,,anyway I did'nt mean to bark and I apologize
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I'm just glad the OP figured out the problems with his car. It was extremely tough reading through this thread! =]
Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Gotcha, Chris. My first response to the OP was similar to your first response regarding the relays & fuses, responses going on the OP's post of his car getting hot and the fans never coming on but they worked with the A/C.

You and I are almost the same age, younger guys woulda dragged this out.