Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy used CNC'd heads or factory and send them off??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I understand that going with a set of TrickFlow's or AFR's is going to definatly be better than a set of "worked" 5.3's or 243's. But, getting married less than 4 months ago, new house payment, and a wife that is dying to have kids soon isn't budget friendly for a set of 2k$ heads.

I guess I should ask is it possible to get 30-40rwhp by buying a set of used heads and sending them to be worked (I also have a ls6 intake to go on the car whenever the heads are installed)?? And what do you guys recommend since they are virtually the same price, 5.3's or 243's??
What ever head you decide to run send them to TEA or West coast cylinder heads to be port both are top notch companies!!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

I understand what your saying about going fast is expensive. But, I feel like you could possibly be biased on the situation considering you have what looks like a well built 402.. And don't get me wrong, I don't say that being a smart *** in anyway. I greatly appreciate all your posts helping me understand how to better my car. The only thing is, I can't justify paying top dollar for A+ heads at the moment, maybe in a few years.

I just feel that there is lots of car's on here that run good and were built on a decent budget. My car is a cam only car and has went 11.6's with the stock intake.

My transmission is down and I'm going with a different stall so my car will have to be tuned again. Thats the reason for wanting to go with new heads/intake. I'm just wanting to know if its possible to pick up 30-40rwhp with TEA5.3's, TEA ls6's, PRC 5.3's, etc... Thats all I can afford at the moment so thats what I'm going to go with..
I went 10.90@123mph with a stock bottom end, fullweight, stock suspension LS1 with H/C/I/E Trickflow heads and a Futral Custom cam.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

I also agree with the do it yourself thing. Thisis the route I took this time and have never been prouder to whoop *** in my car. Good luck bro on what ever direction you decide to take. As far as the article about the heads is concerned this is all the engines being the same with the same intake and heads. Take the cam part out and have a custom cam speced to work with each head and see what heads makes more power. You can run bigger and badder cams with the after market head because of the valve angle on the head is different.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I understand what your saying about going fast is expensive. But, I feel like you could possibly be biased on the situation considering you have what looks like a well built 402.. And don't get me wrong, I don't say that being a smart *** in anyway. I greatly appreciate all your posts helping me understand how to better my car. The only thing is, I can't justify paying top dollar for A+ heads at the moment, maybe in a few years.

I just feel that there is lots of car's on here that run good and were built on a decent budget. My car is a cam only car and has went 11.6's with the stock intake.

My transmission is down and I'm going with a different stall so my car will have to be tuned again. Thats the reason for wanting to go with new heads/intake. I'm just wanting to know if its possible to pick up 30-40rwhp with TEA5.3's, TEA ls6's, PRC 5.3's, etc... Thats all I can afford at the moment so thats what I'm going to go with..
FYI, my current motor the last during some expensive trial and error. I see some great advice posted here. The best is if you can do it yourself, it will save you LOTS of money. It appears head technology has changed a lot in the past few years.

COPO 9560 says you can get 30-40hp for $1000 .. I would jump all over that if that's the case.. Just be assured you WILL be changing them in a year...

Speed is is drug!!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastbasser
FYI, my current motor the last during some expensive trial and error. I see some great advice posted here. The best is if you can do it yourself, it will save you LOTS of money. It appears head technology has changed a lot in the past few years.

COPO 9560 says you can get 30-40hp for $1000 .. I would jump all over that if that's the case.. Just be assured you WILL be changing them in a year...

Speed is is drug!!

No doubt speed is a drug.. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm actually about to go tackle the transmission today. Never done anything like this either but I got me a Haynes manual and a trans jack from a friend so I'm going to see how it goes. Maybe, if all this goes ok, and I see that I can somewhat turn a wrench, I'll try the heads/intake on my own and upgrade to some better heads. It just scares because I've never even see the inside of a motor, let alone try to degree a cam in or make sure the valves don't drop during the process..

Thanks everyone. I think I will give TEA a call today and see what they look like on prices..
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

No doubt speed is a drug.. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm actually about to go tackle the transmission today. Never done anything like this either but I got me a Haynes manual and a trans jack from a friend so I'm going to see how it goes. Maybe, if all this goes ok, and I see that I can somewhat turn a wrench, I'll try the heads/intake on my own and upgrade to some better heads. It just scares because I've never even see the inside of a motor, let alone try to degree a cam in or make sure the valves don't drop during the process..

Thanks everyone. I think I will give TEA a call today and see what they look like on prices..
If you've got the heads pulled then just pull the lifters out to. Then you won't have to worry about dropping anything.. Just my 0.2

Before I bought this car in 2007 I've never worked on any car before in my life. Just ask a lot of questions and read as much as you can about what your doing..
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIC GTO
On a budget A.I 243's will be my choice!
X2 This is what I'm eventually going to go with.

Originally Posted by hammertime
If you are paying labor to swap heads, then paying for a re-tune afterwards, and would do so again to upgrade to an aftermarket head later, you might consider your total outlay. Paying labor to do things twice, plus the resulting loss you take on the parts you will eventually resell might make up the difference and then some...

If you really want an aftermarket head, I would advise you to be patient and do things when you can afford to do it right.

Your other option is to read one of the many available how-to's online and see if the work is something you can perhaps tackle. Save as much as you can on labor and you could invest in some better parts soon.

Good luck!
LISTEN TO THIS MAN!