Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone in here needs to drink a beer
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...personalities over products. It is no wonder we have the president we do when car guys have to start defending "their guy" . How old is the sales pitch, "If you buy my product I will take special care and make it better than anyone elses"? Do research from independent sources and get the most for the least dollar. If you want someone to make you feel good and tell you how great you are talk to your mom or girlfriend. My 2 cents.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I guess we must have taken Tony's post the wrong way. Perhaps previous experiences have just made us a little jumpy in defending against Tony.

I want to appologize because obviously if all of you feel we were to defensive then we must have been.

Both companies make a good product & I'll put our product against AFR's product any day.

Sorry Tony if we were to defensive on you, we work really hard to build a top of the line product & I want nobody to think we use anything but the best in our products.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My OP edited...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to jump in here last night, but was having computer issues. I wanted to add a few points to this thread. If you read Tony's threads over the years you will see that he has specifically chosen not to call out anyone else's product in any thread, even when he has concrete data to back it up.

In his flowsheet thread he specifically stays away from naming anyone else's product, or any specific shop's quality, or lack thereof. I sent my ported 243's in, and Tony in his comments on them even had some positive comments about them. So, what he is posting is both informative, and factual. But, it never calls out anyone, or bashes anyone. Its always been my experience that he avoids that sort of drama.

What I take from Tony's post in reading it is that he talks about what makes AFR specifically a good cylinder head and give some general guidelines about what makes AFR a good product. I do see some comments about other cylibder heads, but I don't read those comments as a indication they are comments towards PRC.

In fact as he pointed out "while there are lots of good choices out there (some of which have already been mentioned in this thread)". I don't think Tony would call PRC heads good, and then call them bad in the same thread.

I agree with Pat that we all should get along and be glad about all the great products we have for the LS market, and all get along...
Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lets all stop beating a dead horse here (it's ******* dead) and get back to the topic at hand. We all now have heard from each prospective person(s) representing each head. Now, it would be nice if more people could join this thread who have either one of these heads. OP, like I said in my first post, there are some results out there with the PRC 215 and PRC 227 heads running the Tsunami and MS3 and MS4 cam, which you have obviously looked at. Your not going to go wrong with either head, so maybe you should compare prices. I'm not sure what they are, but that could be a deciding factor. Either way you go, please post up your results once all is said and done. It's nice to see actual results. That goes a hell of a long way in how people determine which products to buy. Good luck with whichever head you go with.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
If you want someone to make you feel good and tell you how great you are talk to your mom or girlfriend. My 2 cents.
My mom and my girlfriend don't even like me......................................
...................................good thing my wife doesn't know that
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
My mom and my girlfriend don't even like me......................................
...................................good thing my wife doesn't know that
That's not what she tells me when we meet up.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Oooooo yo mama jokes thats lame.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

I voted for tfs 215 from Brian Tooley.

Just stirring the pot. I voted afr simply for track record.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patrick G
OK, there is a bunch of emphasis thrown at Tony Mamo because he edited his first post. Look at it below and compare it to post number 5. You will see that he only made edits to give better continuity and corrected some grammar.

In my opinion, there is nothing said here that takes a shot at PRC. Both are fine products. I have tested both and they are both tremendous offerings to the aftermarket. Both companies should be proud of presenting such excellent products to the LS community. When I bought my first LS1 in 1998, I could only dream of owning cylinder head this good. Now they're available and reasonably affordable to everyone. We should celebrate progress and put pettiness aside.
^This
Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I'm sorry msebastianZ06, I don't see where we talked down Tony's product, can you please point out where I said something negative about Tony's product?

PRC has 3/4" deck & 6 bolt previsions on every PRC casting!

I noticed several of the posts in this thread have been altered from the original format. I want to leave all of this at this:

Both companies make a high quality part, if you'd like to come down & inspect what goes into our products we'd love to have you here. With our new state of the art 25,000 sq ft facility we without a doubt have the most advanced LS sales & development facility in the world.

I will gladly loan anyone on here the use of my engine dyno development cell if you want to compare ANY competitors cylinder heads side by side with the PRC head.
Take a look at these lines below:

Another thing I want to touch on is that the PRC heads don't need to be "mamofied" to perform. I just can't see charging someone extra money on top of the normal cylinder heads to make it better.

Here's a few things I notice between the PRC 215 & the AFR 215 Heads

PRC Heads 13 degree valve angle AFR 15 degree

PRC Better P/V Clearance

PRC .675" spring standard AFR springs standard .600", but you can get a .650" spring for extra money

PRC Chambers start out at 62cc chambers & can be easily milled to 59cc before you get to less than stock heads p/v clearance.

PRC also offers a 227cc small bore head that has been proven to move 330+cfm & pushed our 98 camaro to mid-9-second time slips.

PRC uses Manley valves in our cylinder heads because they have performed very well for us. Other companies often import a valve, but for this application we felt it was best to use top-of-the-line components, no matter the extra cost.

These seem to be directly stated towards Tony and AFR. Never once did Tony/AFR try to compare their product to yours, and this seems to me like you are putting down their product by comparisons. I don't need to come see your facility to know you make a good product and I stated that.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I wrote my above post before reading through the other to pages. It seems I was already defended several times through other members. Like I said I am one person but your way of defending your product will send potential customers the other way. It seems like the majority of members on this thread agree with me on this.

I also read that you realize you are in the wrong with your way of defending your product and I can appreciate that, but like I originally said you lost me as a potential customer and that is a shame because I had several parts from you in my parts list including a set of stage 3's. Sorry TSP, I will be sending you a PM Tony.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Teching In

For the OP of the thread. I've dealt with Tony for basically the same setup you're talking about. Mamofied FAST 102, AFR215's with a bit of work, Tony spec'd the cam, got me the gaskets, ported oil pump, timing set, underdrive pulley, and I'm sure there were a few other items as well that I'm forgetting. I wish I could throw up the numbers the combo has put down but it got cold outside and I've been doing the night shift thing for the past several months, so the car work has been on hold. I hope to have it up and running here before long, so if you aren't in a huge rush I'd be more than happy to share the results if I can manage to finish it up. Although I can't guarantee the clutch or rear can hold any of it. But Tony has been awesome to work with up to this point, if you can swing it I don't think you'd regret it.

I'm sure the PRCs are a good product and I have never had any issues in dealing with TSP, there are too many people running those heads and TSP has many satisfied customers. But I chose to go with the AFRs personally.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Both heads are overpriced HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gotta love the moderators on this forum (Big Mike, J-Rod, Patrick G, 98Aggie, xfactor_pitbulls, 01ssreda4). Wheres the cleanup crew?

The subject is not about Tony vs Matt and yet this thread is full of exactly just that.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by revtech101

Gotta love the moderators on this forum (Big Mike, J-Rod, Patrick G, 98Aggie, xfactor_pitbulls, 01ssreda4). Wheres the cleanup crew?

The subject is not about Tony vs Matt and yet this thread is full of exactly just that.
I stated that the OP can not go wrong with either product. I just don't like the way TSP represented themselves. I agree this is not about Tony or Matt but it is about the company and product they represent. I also agree this thread should get back on track with the OP's original question. Like I said you can not go wrong with either head.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by revtech101

I don't think they Are over priced.... you get what you pay for and my build on the ss will be nothing except quality products.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This question is to TSP - Could you guys elaborate some on any work done following the machining? Do you guys offer hand finishing, bowl blending and finishing of the exhaust ports? Also could one get a ported FAST 102 port/gasket matched to the 215 heads from you guys?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

^Pm Sent!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pm. I will definitely be in contact. I just wanted others to see any services you guys might offer to optimize a combo. We all know of the Mamofied combos, just wanted to give others some insight into some special services you guys might offer to those wanting a little more out of a combo.

Quick Reply: afr 215cc vs. prc 215cc