39.74%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

afr 215cc vs. prc 215cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation afr 215cc vs. prc 215cc

If I go with Afr I can get the heads/gaskets/102 intake all ported from tony mamo from afr and that would be pretty fantastic if not I would order everything from tsp.
Im leaning tords the afr's ..as soon as I decided ill get the info and take it to pat g so he can spec me a cam. Both heads are impressive imo what do you think.

Prc↓
Features: 215cc Fully CNC Ported Intake Runners 84cc Fully CNC Ported Exhaust Runners Small Bore Chambers For Increased Horsepower & Torque+ PRC Platinum Spring Kit Rated To .650" Lift 62cc CNC Machined Chambers 2.04" Intake / 1.600" Stainless Valves Factory Rocker Friendly!!*
Flow Data:
4.00" Flow Plate - No Exhaust Pipe
LIFT INTAKE FLOW EXHAUST FLOW
.100" 68 CFM 56 CFM
.200" 145 CFM 115 CFM
.300" 214 CFM 167 CFM
.400" 271 CFM 202 CFM
.500" 304 CFM 219 CFM
.600" 318 CFM 238 CFM
.650" 321 CFM 236 CFM

AND HERE IS THE AFR INFO ↓
http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=76_113

Last edited by '02SOMz28; 01-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been waiting for this thread. I have recently done a bunch of research on the PRC 215 heads on here, but there isn't a lot of info on them. Now that AFR has the new 215's, there isn't hardly any info on them either, but their 205 heads are proven preformers. You really can't go wrong with either. I'm sure Texas Speed will come in and give you some good info on the PRC heads. Tony Mamo is on here a lot too, so I'd hope he chimes in as well. Can I ask why you didn't throw the Trick Flow 215's in the mix as well?

On a side note, in the dynometer section, there are a few threads of people running the PRC 215 heads and the Texas Speed Tsunami cam. I think there was also one with either the MS3 or MS4, hell, maybe both, as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the Prc 215 and the Prc 5.3 2.5 are night and day difference, big time difference from what I have been looking at the dyno section....
I thought about the trick flows Idk for some reason I just don't want them I don't know why either just don't...did you see that ms3 or it may have been the tsunami cam that 503 hp!! That is when I completely lost interest in the 5.3 2.5 heads lol
Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id personally go with Tony. Hes a great, honest guy and youll get everything you need from one place, all completely optimized to work together, and suited exactly to what you want out of it.

When i finally get around to picking up a FAST, it will be from Tony, since Im already running some 205s, and the 224/228 cam. Id like to have my heads touched up by him, but I dont plan on taking the motor apart for a while.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP,

We appreciate the interest in our product. Let me talk about the AFR 215's quickly and try to summarize that product's strengths.

We basically took our 205 (actually our new 210 to be honest) and increased the port volume modestly for more peak flow potential while still retaining all the general "goodness" of the high airspeed efficient port design that has proven itself over and over again. I find alot of customers either go with the 205/210 or jump up to the new 230 while the reality is the 215 may just be the perfect middle ground.

The AFR castings are beefy (3/4 head deck), very high quality and made in the US not to mention. Also all AFR castings come with a lifetime warranty and a two year warranty on all our parts to the original purchaser.

Barring flow and casting integrity there are other aspects of a cylinder head purchase that most individuals never consider....namely the more intricate machining. How accurate is the CNC program from port to port....what tolerance is the guides held to (Ive seen some scary stuff out there regarding horribly machined guides in brand new cylinder heads). How concentric is the valve job which effects sealing (power) and valvejob life. I will tell you that we have some extremely modern high tech machines and very expensive tooling to produce what we do day in and day out. How much machine and tool maintenance is being performed?? (also very important in any production environment). Any decent shop can produce a one off head here and there but what is Joe Blow really getting when he calls and orders an off the shelf production head?

Anyway....I dont want to sound like an infomercial and while there are lots of good choices out there (some of which have already been mentioned in this thread), I know the quality and the customer support shines thru with AFR product. You do get what you pay for in life.....if we could do what we do and charge less to do it (without cutting corners!) we would, but there is soooo much that goes into a quality cylinder head I could write three pages and bore you to death with it.

Here is something off our website that addresses why you might consider AFR for your purchase....its actually quite informative if you have a few minutes to breeze thru it.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/why_afr.php

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....I just shipped two sets of "Mamofied" 215's over the holiday break and am working on another set right now. Im looking forward to the results of all three combinations to be honest with you and will "share" when I have the opportunity to do so (two 346 combo's and a 383 combination). I spec'ed and helped these customers with the entire package and looking for some strong results when the smoke clears.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-05-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also want to say thanks for considering our product as well.

Tony when you make comments about "some heads" in a discussion about two specific heads, it's CAN EASILY BE READ as a attempt to discredit the PRC head.

As a result, I want to quickly cover a few things Tony said so you guys know his examples do not apply to PRC heads.

The PRC head is machined, & cast in the U.S.A. The springs are from the U.S.A & the Valves are from the U.S.A. Every component from start to finish in any PRC products you purchase are all built, machined, and assembled in the U.S.A.!

The PRC heads all receive a CNC valve job from a Newen CNC Seat & Guide Machine.
* a good example of this is I just checked a set today that had under .0003" of run out. Just so you don't mistake the decimal point, that's three-ten-thousandths of an inch!

The PRC heads are also reamed with the Newen CNC Seat & Guide Machine, meaning every guide is held to very strict tolerances.

The PRC head is CNC machined with Haas CNC machines, just like the AFR.

The PRC heads are very proven both online & in magazines. If you don't believe me, checkout the Hot Rod Magazine thread comparing cathedral heads. I believe the PRC heads out-performed the AFR 245 heads side-by-side in an independent shootout.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

Another thing I want to touch on is that the PRC heads don't need to be "mamofied" to perform. I just can't see charging someone extra money on top of the normal cylinder heads to make it better. We worked really hard to produce a cylinder head that performs great for every customer right off the CNC machine without any additional work.

Here's a few things I notice between the PRC 215 & the AFR 215 Heads

PRC Heads 13 degree valve angle AFR 15 degree

PRC Better P/V Clearance

PRC .675" spring standard AFR springs standard .600", but you can get a .650" spring for extra money

PRC Chambers start out at 62cc chambers & can be easily milled to 59cc before you get to less than stock heads p/v clearance.

PRC also offers a 227cc small bore head that has been proven to move 330+cfm & pushed our 98 camaro to mid-9-second time slips.

PRC uses Manley valves in our cylinder heads because they have performed very well for us. Other companies often import a valve, but for this application we felt it was best to use top-of-the-line components, no matter the extra cost.

Feel free to give us a call with any questions. Any of our sales guys will be glad to assist you!

Thanks!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Sales2@Texas-speed; 01-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Tony, way to come off with such a BS attack on PRC. You may or may not know this, but there is nothing that AFR can say they do better during the casting, machining, inspection, or the making of HP, better than PRC does. PRC isn't the same company that it was 7 years ago. PRC is an complete modern, state of the art facility. PRC owns the best machines and software that can be purchased to produce a top notch cylinder head. Everything is produced in the good ole USA, no foreign stuff here. In all honesty, you may be able to attack Patriot that way, but PRC isn't Patriot.

Last edited by TVWilkes; 01-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
X2
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen the tsunami and the ms3 with the prc215 and they both were almost at 500 horsepower and it was a ls1 ...Im still searching for afr results ...other then the aspect of having everything machined matched at the same place with afr I leaning with Prc but im going to do more research and I have about a month and a half before I pull the trigger on everything. Just want everything to be top notch on the (02ss)new ss and not cut corners like I did on the z28. Thanks for the info from both sides
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol. I would pick the afrs simply based on proven results. I've never been impressed with tsp heads. In fact, I have yet to be beat by a car with tsp/prc heads. I also had bought a set of stage 2.5 prcs 5.3s and was far from impressed by the quality of the head. I don't know why tsp and the nutswinger came after Tony. Tony was just talking about how tight the quality is when afr builds their cylinder heads.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Lol. I would pick the afrs simply based on proven results. I've never been impressed with tsp heads. In fact, I have yet to be beat by a car with tsp/prc heads. I also had bought a set of stage 2.5 prcs 5.3s and was far from impressed by the quality of the head. I don't know why tsp and the nutswinger came after Tony. Tony was just talking about how tight the quality is when afr builds their cylinder heads.
FYI, I am no nut swinger. I am actively involved with the production of the PRC cylinder head. I will agree AFR will have more results. The heads have been on the market longer. The reason for my response is, Tony implies that PRC may be a foreign casting and uses less quality equipment.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you guys feeling guilty or something??

You NEED to reread my thread from the point of view that I wasn't trying to discredit you and see how it sounds.

I highlighted the strengths of our products and nothing more, also mentioning the few pitfalls I have seen of other competitors product's in the market place.....names withheld for obvious reasons (to avoid BS like this).

There are dozens of guys hawking LS heads in the market place....its like an epidemic.

I even added....

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I don't want to sound like an infomercial and while there are lots of good choices out there (some of which have already been mentioned in this thread), I know the quality and the customer support shines thru with AFR product.
.....so as to be clear I was not attacking PRC products. How many brands of heads were actually mentioned in this thread anyway??

Lets not be so testy and try to get along.....plenty of business for everyone.

Every company has (or should have) their particular niche in the marketplace they fill.

-Tony
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Are you guys feeling guilty or something??

You NEED to reread my thread from the point of view that I wasn't trying to discredit you and see how it sounds.

I highlighted the strengths of our products and nothing more, also mentioning the few pitfalls I have seen of other competitors product's in the market place.....names withheld for obvious reasons (to avoid BS like this).

There are dozens of guys hawking LS heads in the market place....its like an epidemic.

I even added....

.....so as to be clear I was not attacking PRC products. How many brands of heads were actually mentioned in this thread anyway??

Lets not be so testy and try to get along.....plenty of business for everyone.

Every company has (or should have) their particular niche in the marketplace they fill.

-Tony
This is the second time this week someone has attacked AFR and Tony over crap. Tony never said anything about PRC, you just assumed it in an attempt to put your.02 in. Quit the petty crap. The OP was simply comapring the two heads, not trying to start a thread that of course once again, turns into this. I can already see this is going to go nowhere fast. Ive heard and seen awesome things about PRC...AWESOME! Ive owned AFR heads, I loved them, they performed better than advertised. My friends have PRC's and they performed great. Both are a good respectable top of the line cylinder head.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

i have a tsp package. thanks tsp by the way. prc 215 heads ms3
cam and fast 92/92. non of this is ported. i have not dynoed it yet but with 315 drag radials i pull the front tires off the ground a good bit lol. tsp thank you for the fast and friendly service. i will always buy from you. im looking at buying another bird and doing the same setup maybe just a smaller cam.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote goes to AFR while both are great choices I like the proven results of AFR, trickflow,and even AI!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Make no mistake we will defend our products when someone implies that our product isn't top level. The thread is about PRC vs AFR. Not all companies, ONLY AFR & PRC. When a tread is about 2 products & 1 of the companies makes claims about other products of course it implies the products being discussed. Read my reply to Tony, in no way did I attack anybody at all. I simply defended our product & made sure everyone understands how the PRC parts stand up.

In no way am I trying to attack Tony or AFR. Remember I wasn't the one that came into this thread talking about import parts & incorrectly machined parts trying to imply that the competitors head isn't properly machined.

All I did was defend our product & give some honest comparisons between the two products. I never implied afr was a sub-par product.

Tony would you like to edit your post so it read other brands not PRC & AFR so that nobody "mistakes" your thread as a attempt to discredit our product? If so I will gladly edit my response to your post.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

What TSP just did was petty and uncalled for. Tony never once put them down and even gave them credit for their product. Companies that stoop to this level to put their product over and put a company under will never get my buisness. But who am I; I am just one person, but when you put yourself out there like this others become like me and you loose a few customers. To the OP you can't go wrong with either product, both products perform. Me personally I like AFR due to the thicker deck and I have heard nothing but positives about Tony's extra touch.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry msebastianZ06, I don't see where we talked down Tony's product, can you please point out where I said something negative about Tony's product?

PRC has 3/4" deck & 6 bolt previsions on every PRC casting!

I noticed several of the posts in this thread have been altered from the original format. I want to leave all of this at this:

Both companies make a high quality part, if you'd like to come down & inspect what goes into our products we'd love to have you here. With our new state of the art 25,000 sq ft facility we without a doubt have the most advanced LS sales & development facility in the world.

I will gladly loan anyone on here the use of my engine dyno development cell if you want to compare ANY competitors cylinder heads side by side with the PRC head.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason, I can assure you Tony wasn't pointing at PRC at any of the remarks made. I will PM you.

Quick Reply: afr 215cc vs. prc 215cc