Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you paid 1k for an LS1? nice...lol
Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excuse the typo.
Im just now trying to get into the american car market. Ive dealt with nothing but German autos my whole life so pardon the language/grammer barrier.
I have actually had to edit several posts due to spelling mishaps.
As far as dropping 1k on the LS1, that was only after guidance from members of this board saying it was a good purchase price for a complete motor with wiring harness and ecu.
same said members referred me to Texas Performance who told me to purchase Eagle Rods and Wiseco pistons to run a reliable 425-450 hp.
and as you have seen from a previous post above, it appears that the forged internals may be excesive given that people are running higher hp numbers on stock internals.
So i am still trying to validate the information that is provided from the site.
It would be nice to do so without being haggled by someone who chose to chime in for no apparent reason and is not providing any legitiment advice.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jayman, you'll find hitting 420-450 reliable horsepower isn't as cheap and easy as most make it out to be here.

Of course you are realizing, or are going to realize that the cost of the rods and pistons are just the start of a bottom end. Block machining with torque plate, cam bearings, main bearings, chromoly rings, rod bearings, new oil pump (then decide which one you want), timing chain(adjustable or non) Then do you get a new water pump while you're in there? replace all the seals and gaskets. It all adds up quickly. Very quickly.
I didn't see where you were planning to put it together yourself or have a machine shop do it, but then there are all the tools to put it together yourself. (I suggest just paying someone if you don't already have the tools like I suspect-not meant to be rude, I had to buy many myself)

Then the top end comes into play for that power. Heads and cam are just the tip. Don't forget to re size pushrods, rocker arm trunion kit in the least, new gaskets and bots. Aftermarket springs for the higher lift. etc, etc. etc.

I, of course, applaud your efforts. 420-450 reliable hp is just not cheap or easy. You may know this, but from what I'm reading, it seems you might be somewhat mis-informed. Cheap can happen, but rarely. Very rarely.

Texas Performance kit or Renegade Hybrids kit?

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Texas Performance kit or Renegade Hybrids kit?
coming from the German market, I know nothing is cheap when it comes to modding a motor.
Still undecided on the Kit itself. I have spoken to a few members of this site and a few shops that have done installs. Some used RH and others used TP. I havent heard much on feedback and customer service from RH, but a ton of support for TP. I even signed up for their forum and have been doing a lot of research over there as well.
Any experience with either one of them?

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None personally. I saw a an install done by Texas performance. Looked clean enough. The customer, whom I know, spoke highly of Eric. I haven't heard quite the same praise for Renegade. All my stuff is what I build. My own "kit" that will not fit any other 944 the same way. Nothing on my car is stock anymore.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 95ONE
None personally. I saw a an install done by Texas performance. Looked clean enough. The customer, whom I know, spoke highly of Eric. I haven't heard quite the same praise for Renegade. All my stuff is what I build. My own "kit" that will not fit any other 944 the same way. Nothing on my car is stock anymore.
I have heard nothing but good things on Eric, his shop, his product and the costomer service. I did speak with a guy who owns a shop in Ft. Lauderdale who had a bad experience with Renegade, but I know theres both sides to every story. Dont know too much about either company.