Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunion upgrade need help! Making sure I did this right.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Trunion upgrade need help! Making sure I did this right.

Well I didn't have a press so I used a C clamp other than its a little time consuming everything went fine. I've just got a few questions. First on everyone of them the part the bolt goes through needed tapped in order to free up. Once tapped lightly everything rolled perfect. Well if you shake them side to side some of them have more tick than others. Also it seems as if the bearing pressed in just ever so slightly farther in than the other side. I cranked the **** out of the c clamp after noticing and nothing moved. Would you say all this is normal? In a video I watched it said the bearing would be flush well one side seems to be just a little and I mean only a fraction farther in than flush. I think I just worry to much but I figured I would ask to be safe. thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I installed my Trunnion Kit, I notices that some of my rocker arms had a ridge that stuck up slightly higher (maybe 0.005~0.010") above the bearing hole then the others. That prevented to needle bearing assembly to not press in perfectly flush to the side surface on those rockers, and resulted in slightly more side-to-side play of the trunnion.

I ended up using a socket the same size as the outer race, and carefully tapped the bearing in a little more to obtain the same side play. I ended up having to do this on 3 or 4 of the rockers, and I ultimately shot for 0.010" trunnion side-to-side end play on them all.

BTW - the OEM trunnions had about 0.020" side-to-side play.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 01-16-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned, you want the side to side at a MINNIMUM... or you'll have unwanted noise.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Well none of mine didn't go in enough mine if anything went in to far. I only had a couple that had a little more side play but I thought those were the ones that were right lol.I used to 5/8 socks and a c clamp to press them in. I cranked the **** out of the c clamp. so do you think I should just go back on the ones that seem to be a little loose and just crank the **** out of them?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine were extremely easy to press in and out. It took a little pressure, but not much. Hopefully you made sure they pressed in straight and true instead of pushing them through at an angle and making a horrible clearance issue. It doesn't sound good from here man. You did use the two spacers they supplied right?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95ONE
You did use the two spacers they supplied right?
Speaking of the spacers/washers that were in the kit. When you use them, it should put the outer side of the bearing flush with the side of the rocker arm. If the rocker arm doesn't have any extra ridge on the side like I mentioned above, it should give about 0.010" side-to-side clearance on the trunnion after both bearings are fully seated into the rocker arm.

A few of my rocker arms had a little extra ridge sticking up on the side, and that didn't allow the bearing to push in quite as far when using the installation washers. On those rockers, I had to use a socket the same size as the OD of the bearing and gently tap them in a hair more by hand to get the desired 0.010" side play.

BTW - the side-to-side end play on the OEM trunnions was around 0.020".
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

When I pressed them in everytime they looked a little crooked I re adjusted. They're all at least flush with the rocker body if anything a little further in than flush. Some have basically no tick back and forth and some have just a little. None of them have as much as the factory trunions though. I put two 5/8s sockets on each side and hit them with a hammer to get rid of some of the tick but a couple just wouldn't stop. They all look pretty well the same its just some have the slightest amount more noise than the others. I'm hoping they're ok everything turns free. None have more resistance than the others or anything and none are really loud enough to hear. You can just feel it in your hand as it works back and forth. I'm going to start it tomorrow and see if I hear any more noise than before. I think they'll be ok. I let a mechanic look at it and play with all 16 and he thinks they'll be fine that they're not enough difference between them to matter. Hopefully hes right. thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt have a press either I did mine with a bench vise and rags to prevent scuffs lol worked awesome

Last edited by TermnEatr; 01-16-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
None have more resistance than the others or anything and none are really loud enough to hear. You can just feel it in your hand as it works back and forth. I'm going to start it tomorrow and see if I hear any more noise than before. I think they'll be ok. I let a mechanic look at it and play with all 16 and he thinks they'll be fine that they're not enough difference between them to matter. Hopefully hes right. thanks
You'll probably be fine from the sound of it.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

So I started it and my valve train is alot quieter than before which I wasn't Everything must have been ok. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Trunion upgrade need help! Making sure I did this right.