Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question bout port and polish stock ls1 heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by gtotoocool1
first,ask yourself what is your goals for the car?second,don't get hung up on flow #s.a properly ported 275cfm head will outperform a improperly ported 300cfm head all day long.flow #s have their use,but are used as a marketing tool to sell heads way too much these days.
you would be surprised at how much more power you get from just a VJ and bowl blend,even if the flow #s aren't that impressive.
Right on. For someone on a budget with maybe $300-400 for heads, the best bang for the buck is to take those 241 or 853 castings and have a good valve job cut and open up the bowls.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Right on. For someone on a budget with maybe $300-400 for heads, the best bang for the buck is to take those 241 or 853 castings and have a good valve job cut and open up the bowls.
I had an ex sponsor on here port some 5.3s a few years ago.didn't like what I saw so I took them to LPE .all they did was a VJ (and cleaned the metal shavings out)..the port work done was good,according to tech I talked to.but the flow #s were down.he suggested they do a VJ.once that was done,the flow #s picked up where they should be,especially the low to mid lifts.these heads are very sensitive in that area.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM
KCS

I had an ex sponsor on here port some 5.3s a few years ago.didn't like what I saw so I took them to LPE .all they did was a VJ (and cleaned the metal shavings out)..the port work done was good,according to tech I talked to.but the flow #s were down.he suggested they do a VJ.once that was done,the flow #s picked up where they should be,especially the low to mid lifts.these heads are very sensitive in that area.
The low and mid lift flow is almost completely influenced by the valvejob and immediate area. Up to a certain point (and through most of the induction phase) that curtain area is the smallest area in the induction path. Focusing on that area will usually net big gains, even if peak lift doesn't flow all that great.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
The low and mid lift flow is almost completely influenced by the valvejob and immediate area. Up to a certain point (and through most of the induction phase) that curtain area is the smallest area in the induction path. Focusing on that area will usually net big gains, even if peak lift doesn't flow all that great.
you got it.
I bought another Z/28,98 model.the modding has started already.next year im going to have the bowls cleaned up and of course a good VJ on these crappy 806 heads.of course it will be a dog because those heads are junk,according to most of the people on this board anyway.
i remember you posted a build on hear a couple of years ago,hows that going for you?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

806 Heads are junk on tech and same with 853 heads. I have seen some setups with either of these heads make more power than most CNCed setups people put together on here.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I had my 241's ported by Lloyd Elliot. I had them independently flowed and came up with 310/220 @ .600" They cost me $1100 with new 2.02"-1.60" valves and Lunati double springs.

Frank
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
KCS

you got it.
I bought another Z/28,98 model.the modding has started already.next year im going to have the bowls cleaned up and of course a good VJ on these crappy 806 heads.of course it will be a dog because those heads are junk,according to most of the people on this board anyway.
i remember you posted a build on hear a couple of years ago,hows that going for you?
Well, it **** some rockers a while ago so I haven't driven it much. Instead I'm tearing all down to put in a new clutch, new heads, new cam, FAST intake, and now I'm thinking I might as well replace the rings, bearings, and put in a new oil pump to be safe. Oh yeah, and a trunion upgrade!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well he got my 862's to flow 280@6.50. That was with the stock valve. He told me i could take 2.02 and cut them down to 2.00 and get close to 300 out of them. I didnt ask for exhaust flow but will get a flow sheet when i pick them up.

Quick Reply: question bout port and polish stock ls1 heads