Sponsored by:

2006 5.3HO Oil Pump help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 5.3HO Oil Pump help

Hey guys,
Hopefully yall have some insight for me....Ive been a member of chevytruckworld for a long time and got no response over there... So here it goes

Ive got an 06 silverado 5.3HO "B" 4wd, in the past month on startups its been takin the motor about 5-10secs to get the oil psi up, then after a 2000 mile trip last weekend it started losing psi at stoplights and while at idle. i took it into the dealer to get a dyagnostic run on it. The dealership came back and told me my pump and rubber seals needed replaced, as well as I had 2 knock sensor that were bad, a bad 02 sensor, and an evap canister that needed replaced. He then proceeded to hand me a 4grand estimate for parts and labor with a completely straight face

I have quite a bit of experience as a marine mechanic the past 6 years so ive yanked a few oil pans in my day which is no problem, however I cant seem to find a replacement oil pump (AC Delco), and the dealer wants 540 bucks for pump gasket n seals.....(they also wanted $480 for 2 knock sensors and a gasket, of which i found the same 2 brand new plus the gasket for 110)

So my question to yall is which is a good aftermarket oil pump to replace it with and what orings/seals will i need to replace? Any pointers or info on this job would greatly help as im going to be doing the work myself. Also if theres any online manuals or diagrams that would help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Your best choice is Melling performance pumps (10295, 10296 & 10355) which is cheeper than the GM parts and have the ability of higher pressure than stock pump. If your car have the DOD (Displacement on Demand) then you need the melling pump 10355.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pump-buy.html

http://www.mellingselectperformance....mOilPumps.aspx

Those pumps are tag priced from 126 ~ 140 $ US. Do a search on the net or e-bay and you will find a lot.

I hope this will help...
Old 02-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Teching In

LS6,
thanks for the quick reply. Aftermarket ive got a catback exhaust, Wester PCM tune, and a cold air intake, im honetsly not very technically informed in regards to the psi, should i go to a high volume pump? I didnt know if itd throw a wrench into the works
Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't, If it's just a street truck, daily driver, I would just throw the Meling 295 in there with a new o ring and call it a day. No need for high volume high pressure unless your turning high (6800+) rpm's on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: 2006 5.3HO Oil Pump help