Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which AFR heads for a 346 street beast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Which AFR heads for a 346 street beast?

Which AFR heads would be better suited for a 95% street driven 02 WS6 that will sport a cam in the lower 230's intake and mid to upper 230's exhaust. Car already has long tubes, dual exhaust, lid, etc. Goal for the car is to be right at 450 rwhp and around 420-430 rwtq. Car is a weekend warior and what's important is power under the curve. Would the AFR 210 heads be best or would the AFR 215's be a better choice. Would I sacrafice under the curve power/torque by going the 215 route?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony's spec-ing me a top end package right now for my car which is a 99% street car. We went with the 215's because Tony's thought was that I'd get a little more top end, and with it only being 5cc's difference it'd only be just a little. He said "you won't even be able to feel 5cc's". Cam is 227/227 .617" .617" (I think) lift on a 114lsa.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree if you want to go with afrs tony is the guy to talk to, afrs make killer stuff but is that your only option? its not a bad choice what so ever imo its one of the best heads to go with
Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
Tony's spec-ing me a top end package right now for my car which is a 99% street car. We went with the 215's because Tony's thought was that I'd get a little more top end, and with it only being 5cc's difference it'd only be just a little. He said "you won't even be able to feel 5cc's". Cam is 227/227 .617" .617" (I think) lift on a 114lsa.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking too, but on the AFR website, it says the 215's are for a bigger bore. I know plenty of guys run a 215 runner size head on a 346, but I just don't want to sacrafice any low end torque.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i agree if you want to go with afrs tony is the guy to talk to, afrs make killer stuff but is that your only option? its not a bad choice what so ever imo its one of the best heads to go with
Well, I've pretty much narrowed it down to either AFR's or the new PRC 215's. I'd like to see more combos and numbers from each head, but both are so new, there really isn't much out there in terms of dyno numbers/graphs. Believe me, I've searched. From what I have seen in terms of the new PRC 215's, they are making some killer numbers. I also like the fact that you can get more of a mill without loosing piston to valve clearence due to a non 15 degree valve angle.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking too, but on the AFR website, it says the 215's are for a bigger bore. I know plenty of guys run a 215 runner size head on a 346, but I just don't want to sacrafice any low end torque.
AFR site says "AFR is proud to release our 215cc LS1/LS2/LS6 version of our popular Gen III product line which is aimed specifically to maximize 4” bore combinations (364 - 408 CID). However this head is very versatile and could also be considered for aggressive 346 applications"
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to have way more then those 20 inch tires are going to be able to hook up.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

AFR210s would be my vote for sure.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

215's would be the way to go IMO....

You have a reasonably aggressive cam and the slightly larger cross section of the 215's would boost the higher RPM potential of the package you described.

IMO I would call your set-up a hot street deal....its aimed mainly at performance with some civility in mind versus a 224 ish cammed car which is still aimed at performance of course but favoring the street side of the equation where low RPM torque and slightly better idle quality/driving manners is more important (say in a CTSV application or a milder Vette/F-body application).

Point is your set-up would work a little better with the 215's where the latter would be better suited for the 210's......keeping in mind you couldn't make a bad choice between them.....its all about what angle of the build your trying to optimize.

Speaking of optimized, I've tweaked a few of these 215's with excellent results if your looking to maximize your airflow while still running a conservatively sized port for better low RPM response (and overall explosiveness) and still being able to generate a big dog number upstairs from the increased peak CFM gains. It adds to the budget of course and truthfully an out of the box 215 is more than adequate (but when is "enough" ever really OK in this hobby.....LOL). Im actually helping Rickenbacker who posted above with this exact situation.

Anyway....OP....if you want to reach me directly to discuss anything my direct line is 661-705-8508

Good luck whichever direction you choose to pursue....lots of good choices....the trick is finding the best one to suit your needs and budget.

-Tony

PS....The only issue running these heads on a smaller 3.900 bore is simply to make sure you run a larger diameter head gasket (typically 4.135 - 4.160 diameter) to seal the larger unshrouded chamber. That doesn't pose a problem whatsoever.....only offers a little more room around the valve for added flow etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
215's would be the way to go IMO....

You have a reasonably aggressive cam and the slightly larger cross section of the 215's would boost the higher RPM potential of the package you described.

IMO I would call your set-up a hot street deal....its aimed mainly at performance with some civility in mind versus a 224 ish cammed car which is still aimed at performance of course but favoring the street side of the equation where low RPM torque and slightly better idle quality/driving manners is more important (say in a CTSV application or a milder Vette/F-body application).

Point is your set-up would work a little better with the 215's where the latter would be better suited for the 210's......keeping in mind you couldn't make a bad choice between them.....its all about what angle of the build your trying to optimize.

Speaking of optimized, I've tweaked a few of these 215's with excellent results if your looking to maximize your airflow while still running a conservatively sized port for better low RPM response (and overall explosiveness) and still being able to generate a big dog number upstairs from the increased peak CFM gains. It adds to the budget of course and truthfully an out of the box 215 is more than adequate (but when is "enough" ever really OK in this hobby.....LOL). Im actually helping Rickenbacker who posted above with this exact situation.

Anyway....OP....if you want to reach me directly to discuss anything my direct line is 661-705-8508

Good luck whichever direction you choose to pursue....lots of good choices....the trick is finding the best one to suit your needs and budget.

-Tony

PS....The only issue running these heads on a smaller 3.900 bore is simply to make sure you run a larger diameter head gasket (typically 4.135 - 4.160 diameter) to seal the larger unshrouded chamber. That doesn't pose a problem whatsoever.....only offers a little more room around the valve for added flow etc.

Thanks for replying to my thread Tony. I was hoping you'd come in. I've heard nothing but good things about AFR heads and what really has lead me to want the AFR heads is the great low end and mid flow numbers. Being a street driven car, that is what I'm looking for. But, I could also see myself wanting to build a 383 or 402 down the road, so the 215 makes the most sense. I just wanted to make sure by going with the 215, I wouldn't be loosing any under the curve power/torque over the 210. When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I will definatley hit you up Tony. Thank you for all the great information.

Oh, by the way, how do you think a cam around the size of a 229/236 111 LSA would do with these heads? Would you suggest something smaller for better torque/power under the curve? Like I said, numbers wise, I'd love to reach or eclipse 450 rwhp, but really want torque nubers close to 420-425.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Captain Double Post

what intake are you going to be running? top that combo off with a mamofied fast and you might hit your goal
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony,

What are the min CSA's of the 210 and 215 heads?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for replying to my thread Tony. I was hoping you'd come in. I've heard nothing but good things about AFR heads and what really has lead me to want the AFR heads is the great low end and mid flow numbers. Being a street driven car, that is what I'm looking for. But, I could also see myself wanting to build a 383 or 402 down the road, so the 215 makes the most sense. I just wanted to make sure by going with the 215, I wouldn't be loosing any under the curve power/torque over the 210. When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I will definatley hit you up Tony. Thank you for all the great information.

Oh, by the way, how do you think a cam around the size of a 229/236 111 LSA would do with these heads? Would you suggest something smaller for better torque/power under the curve? Like I said, numbers wise, I'd love to reach or eclipse 450 rwhp, but really want torque nubers close to 420-425.
Wrong cam for sure with these heads....plus are you planning on flycutting?? That plays a huge role in camshaft choice and aggressiveness.

This head has a really strong exhaust to intake relationship.....a single pattern (or close) on a wider LSA to reduce overlap (and potential over scavenging which will hurt power) is bonus here.

Shoot me a PM.....we can talk about the entire heads/cam combo and I can get you dialed in

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Tony,

What are the min CSA's of the 210 and 215 heads?
2.57 and 2.64 respectively....

Hope this helps

-Tony
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Good info here
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony is great to deal with, and very knowledgeable! He has been great at answering some dumb questions Ive had, and he helped me out when I dropped a valve in my last engine.

Im only running AFR 205s, and a 224/228 cam, and I have torque every where! This motor, with full bolt ons (and ported FAST IIRC) made 470rwhp in the previous owner's f-body, STOCK bottom end BTW.

My friend's 'Hawk made 448/434 with 205s, and I believe the same 224/228 cam, through a stock MAF, TB, and LS6 intake.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see what you mean regarding the cam. Since these heads flow so well on the exhaust side as well, something more along the lines of a 230/232 or 230/234 would be better. Will having the cam on a 111 LSA not work well with these heads? I really would like a 111 LSA because I want this cam to have a good amount of lope.

And no, I don't plan, or want to fly-cut.

[QUOTE=Tony Mamo @ AFR;15931791]Wrong cam for sure with these heads....plus are you planning on flycutting?? That plays a huge role in camshaft choice and aggressiveness.

This head has a really strong exhaust to intake relationship.....a single pattern (or close) on a wider LSA to reduce overlap (and potential over scavenging which will hurt power) is bonus here.

Shoot me a PM.....we can talk about the entire heads/cam combo and I can get you dialed in
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony has more experience with what works best with his heads but i've seen wider duration splits used with success on other AFR heads. LSx is alittle different port shape tho but some cam grinders will tell you they dont look at exhaust/intake flow ratios as much to determine what the engine wants as far as duration split goes. But these ports do seem to like alittle less overlap with wider lsa's from the cam guys i've talked to.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
But these ports do seem to like alittle less overlap with wider lsa's from the cam guys i've talked to.
That's pretty much what Tony told me, and part of the reason why I'm going with a Mamo package. My old cam (Flowtech Streetsweeper HT) was on a 111lsa and was a bitch to tune. I'm sure it could have been dialed in better with more tune time but the car had cold start issues and bucking from ~1200-1600 RPM. I specifically wanted a cam on a 114lsa to help out with driveability. Combined with a killer head and intake tract I should end up with a car that has much better manners than my old setup and yet still rip your head off on the top end.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm still confused why AFR heads don't like a lot of overlap. The cam I have in mind would be around 10 to 11 degrees of overlap and be on a 111 LSA.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Going with mammo(AFR) is smart. You get a top product that performs.

Quick Reply: Which AFR heads for a 346 street beast?