Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worn ms4 cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buschmec
if comp does the regrind they will heat treat again......i am with texas on this, oil may be one of the largest contributing factors in cam failure. sabastian, i can say you definitely had a bad or non-heated treated core to damage that many lobes. i would send it in for a regrind and let it ride......$.02
Oh, I just pulled the whole engine and replaced. I had a perfect low mile one sitting in the garage from a prior build. it was an easy reason to put more performance parts on the car lol....
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks to me as the lifter either spun in its tray or it just failed period. If it was the cam almost all of the lobes would be falling apart. Ive seen a cam about 3 years ago that looked almost identical but about 8 lobes were destroyed from re-using high milage lifter treys allowing the lifters to spin.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have to change pushrod length if you have it reground. It will depend how much they have to cut out of it.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that picture isn't the cam at all, you have a bad lifter or something else going on, i would invest in a set of ls7 lifters or better and maybe roller rockers
Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Its clear that the lifter failed. I would think if it was something to do with the cam itself then all the lobs would look the same. Possibly could have been dirt in the oil passage that feeds that lifter and it just got hot and locked up. Other things to look at would leave me to question if the lifter trays had been drilled for faster drainage since I have been curious myself if that has led to any problems for people that have done it. There is always a reason for failure and if you dont figure out where the problem started then it could possibly happen again later. Just my .02
Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

^^^I hear you, the engine was stock other then the cam, springs and pushrods. I wanted to go as far as I could with out removing the stock heads, and on the stock suspension. So now its game on, I am going to build a turbo kit for the 4.8l I pulled from my silverado and see how far I can push it......but I am going to miss that sound.

Quick Reply: worn ms4 cam