Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First look....new LSX lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salemetro
Yep. "Street" version. Cast lifter bodies. And good for you. I didn't go with link bars for a reason. 1)Cam profile does not justify it, & 2)link bars have a noise of their own...nothing like I'm dealing with now, but I'm wanting as close to silent as possible.
Mine are quite as hell
Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by oange ss
my apologies, I had no idea you were an expert in hydraulic lifter design.............
LMAO!!! Oh man. Some seem to interpret the idea that they did not have lifter noise means that that they are an expert.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help but ask, but just out of curiosity... what makes you certain that these lifters are going to quiet things down? I'm guessing nobody else is using them... have you heard the lifters run in a vehicle that prior to which, had LS7 lifters? If so, was there a difference in sound? I'm very anxious to see your results and hoping for the best, but I can't figure out what makes you so certain these are going to change things. Nevertheless, good luck!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Old School Heavy

I would say hope is making him say that they are the solution. And, I fully understand where he is coming from. I just wish I was not so skeptical or I would have a set on the way.

I would also say that he is optimistic because the guy he is getting them from come across as VERY credible.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenp
I see the pre-load for the Comp "R" lifter misinterpreted quite often. It's actually .002"-.004".

COMP Cams® Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters™ are specifically designed to perform at higher engine speeds. When engines are equipped with a hydraulic camshaft, high rpm is limited by the improper position of the internal piston as the lifter inevitably "pumps up". This improper location results in open valves and therefore leads to lost power or sometimes even engine failure. NOTE: These lifters require an adjustable valve train (check here for adjustable valve train components), and must be pre-loaded to .002" to .004" for proper operation!
Two thousandths to four thousandths preload doesnt make any sense man...check your numbers. When I called Comp they told me specificly 20-40 thousandths preload... which is .020"-.040"...not .002". My valvetrain was super quiet and never had any valvetrain issues.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I would say hope is making him say that they are the solution. And, I fully understand where he is coming from. I just wish I was not so skeptical or I would have a set on the way.

I would also say that he is optimistic because the guy he is getting them from come across as VERY credible.
Thanks Tigger! You are indeed correct. After getting an earful of what I believe to be VERY accurate information from one of the design/ R&D engineers for this company...along with what he told me were his results...after testing more than 400 of the LS7 pieces....I'm left believing that this will be the solution. After all of the double/triple-checking that I've done on my own car, this is what I have it traced down to. About the only thing else it might be, is that ALL of the cam lobes are going flat....not very likely.....especially since it has made noise literally from the point of initial startup (day1).

It's not my intent to start a debate on the quality of the LS7 parts, as my mind is already made up about them. I fully realize that lots of folks love them...I'm just not one of them.

Geoff@EPS should have my new cam package here in roughly 3 weeks. I'll then tear into the car and post back with results/findings.

Here's a video of the car...keep in mind that this was taken with my cell phone, and is considerably louder in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTk5a...eature=channel

Last edited by salemetro; 03-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Whats the wall thickness on your headers? Not saying these new lifters wont work. But a lot of valvetrane noise is emmited out thru the exhaust. And in for results. I have very simulator issues with my car.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

What rockers?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
What rockers?
Stock w/Comp trunion kit.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Stock w/Comp trunion kit.
Ok cool. I was going to say if you were running an older set of Harland Sharp 'stock rebuilds', that would have been your cause. They sourced an inferior bearing that was failing. My car had multiple bearings that were failing/failed. They rebuilt them for free and I sold them off. I ended up just putting OEM/stock rockers on and solved my issue.

Good luck with your noise. I hope you find it out soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Ok cool. I was going to say if you were running an older set of Harland Sharp 'stock rebuilds', that would have been your cause. They sourced an inferior bearing that was failing. My car had multiple bearings that were failing/failed. They rebuilt them for free and I sold them off. I ended up just putting OEM/stock rockers on and solved my issue.

Good luck with your noise. I hope you find it out soon.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this in the next couple weeks.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moeZ28
Two thousandths to four thousandths preload doesnt make any sense man...check your numbers. When I called Comp they told me specificly 20-40 thousandths preload... which is .020"-.040"...not .002". My valvetrain was super quiet and never had any valvetrain issues.
Sorry, but it is what it is. The .002"-.004" is straight from the Comp web site. And, when I did my build with AFR 205's one of the AFR recommended lifters was the Comp R lifter with .002"-.004" pre load and that's why they require adjustable components. AFR do not recommend them any more because they are so difficult to get "right".

The spec for preload hasn't changed since I installed mine 5 years ago.
Here is a link to the CURRENT Comp Installation instructions: http://www.compcams.com/Instructions.../COMP4-141.pdf

If you have .020" preload on comp R pro magnum lifters, you are not within the zero lash to 1/8 of a turn after zero lash install spec. That's that.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Here's a video of the car...keep in mind that this was taken with my cell phone, and is considerably louder in person.
Clearly valvetrain noise and sounds BAD!
I'm wondering if you will find something else wrong?
Too bad you are changing the cam as well. 2 changes won't really get you to root cause. But I understand how much extra work would be involved in doing each seperatley.

Good luck and do post up your findings.

Ron
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
I got some morel link bar lifters on Thunder racing for even cheaper lol
Morels are the only Link bar lifters I have ever used. Would trust in them again w/o worries.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Too bad you are changing the cam as well. 2 changes won't really get you to root cause. But I understand how much extra work would be involved in doing each seperatley.
Ron
Yeah...all of this BS has made me just decide to upgrade more stuff....funny how that happens. When the Z06 cam comes out, it should be obvious if there is anything wrong with it....I'm betting that it's just fine, but we'll see. Ideally, I'd just swap the lifters for the sake of a direct comparison...but it's "now or never" on the cam swap, so I voted for NOW lol. Being that the current cam is a stock GM piece, it's not like some sort of fast-ramp rate part. Noise SHOULD be non-existent...but it's not.

We'll see how it all goes...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
I got some morel link bar lifters on Thunder racing for even cheaper lol
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Morels are the only Link bar lifters I have ever used. Would trust in them again w/o worries.
Did you all have valve train noise before the switch to the Morels?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just hope your valvetrain doesn't get quiet because of the EPS cam and not the high dollar lifters.

Mine made noise with a Comp XE 230/224 and GMPP lifters (AKA caddy race lifters) but when I went to an EPS 230/238 eps intake LSL exhaust lobes and kept my 7.4" pushrods it is quieter than my stock 5.3 truck.

Over the weekend I decided to try some 7.35" pushrods after mis-measuring using my Comp pushrod length tool. It sounded like yours does. I put the 7.4" back in and it got quiet.

I paid attention when tightening them and I have over 1 3/4 turns past zero lash to 22 ft/lbs. Not sure what preload that translates too but it is definitely quiet.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribing.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I just hope your valvetrain doesn't get quiet because of the EPS cam and not the high dollar lifters.
I'm fairly sure that even the EPS ramp rates will be more aggressive than the stock Z06 cam that's in there right now, so I'm thinking it won't matter. Aren't XE lobes fairly aggressive?

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I paid attention when tightening them and I have over 1 3/4 turns past zero lash to 22 ft/lbs. Not sure what preload that translates too but it is definitely quiet.
IIRC, each turn translates to .043.....so (if my memory/math is correct), you should be at roughly .074 on your preload?? I can't remember for sure.

Last edited by salemetro; 03-05-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Aren't XE lobes fairly aggressive?
It is my understanding that the XE lobe is either the softest or next to softest lobe comp has. 230/224 and lift was .57x/.56x

I hope your problem is solved either way though, good luck! It seems every car is different when it comes to these noises and what it likes.

I will add that I could without a doubt tell a difference between running Mobile 1 or Pennzoil Platinum versus the Castrol 0w-30 European formula. Some people say it made theirs louder but the switch to Castrol made my old cam noticeably quieter so I started using it exclusively.

Quick Reply: First look....new LSX lifters