Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First look....new LSX lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just bought a Felpro intake gasket set from Advanced Auto for like $20 after coupon and it came with the foam.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So, any updates?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So, any updates?
Nope....still waiting for parts to get here
Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

updates???
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In for updates.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the lack of updates....been REALLY busy.

So....all is good now!!! Valvetrain is as quiet as can be expected, considering that the Fast102 transmits a bit more noise than the old ls6 intake. I'm a happy camper....finally!! This last weekend, the car went to the dyno and performed very nicely...even with the stock rockers (w/trunion upgrade) the valves were quiet. It was kind of a last-minute rush to get the car to the dyno, and as such I did not have time to swap the rockers out for aftermarket ones. I now am waiting for a set of Yella Terras to get here, so the car is parked until next week (when I have time to put them on). I just did not care for the swipe pattern, so I'm changing them out. Roller tips will be a nice upgrade as well.

I'll make sure to post a video of the car in the next week or so....it's 1000% better than it was before. I'm VERY happy with it.

I've spoken with the lifter manufacturer recently, and they are still preferring that I not mention them by name. They said that they are currently building up inventories of this lifter, and should be ready for me to reveal who they are in the next 3 weeks or so. This is not their only product line, and as such, it takes a while. They stressed that they just did not want to put any new customers in the position of having to wait 3-5 weeks to have an order filled....that's why they want me to hold off for now. Personally, that speaks volumes of them as a company...they are more interested in being able to meet supply than just taking money from people.

I'll update again as soon as I can.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by salemetro
According to the manufacturer:

The total travel of your parts are .156". Also, be aware that these parts have the same install height as an LS7 with a standard C-Clip. As you can see our R-Clip reduces the travel some, which places the piston in an optimal position and corrects some geometry. You should need about a .050" longer pushrod.
So how much lifter pre-load did you end up going with on these new lifters?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

That is great news salemetro. I am not looking forward to pulling the heads again, but knowing it is a real solution will make it less painful.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So how much lifter pre-load did you end up going with on these new lifters?
I ended up within the recommended 0.36-.056 (after allowing .007 for thermal expansion of the aluminum block).... measuring every one for preload. The new Yella Terras are adjustable, and I should be able to set every one exactly the same this time around, along with a perfect wipe pattern. Yeah, I'm sure that some will think it to be overkill....but I had to replace the rockers anyway, so I opted for the adjustable ones.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That is great news salemetro. I am not looking forward to pulling the heads again, but knowing it is a real solution will make it less painful.
I hear ya. This is definitely not the only solution on the market, but I'm very happy with what I got.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job

May we see some pics of your current wipe pattern...?

So how do these new lifters make the valvetrain quiet (compared to the GM lifters)...?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

What is different about these lifters compared to all the others ones out there? Glad to see you got yours quieted down. Mine sounds like a squirrel on a sewing machine.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
Good job

May we see some pics of your current wipe pattern...?
Sorry, I have not taken any pics of the rockers since the cam swap...but can tell you that the "scrub" on the face of the rocker is substantial compared to the stock LS1 that I have in my shop. Vettenuts has a nice writeup of how it should look, and that's my plan now as well.

Originally Posted by joecar
So how do these new lifters make the valvetrain quiet (compared to the GM lifters)...?
Tighter tolerances, better attention to quality control...they are a billet piece as well. Basically, they are just made by folks who care. LOL Seriously though, they've been great to deal with, and take great pride in what they produce. That's not to say that there are not other solutions out there, but this is the way that I decided to go.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
What is different about these lifters compared to all the others ones out there? Glad to see you got yours quieted down. Mine sounds like a squirrel on a sewing machine.
See above reply. :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by salemetro
Sorry, I have not taken any pics of the rockers since the cam swap...but can tell you that the "scrub" on the face of the rocker is substantial compared to the stock LS1 that I have in my shop. Vettenuts has a nice writeup of how it should look, and that's my plan now as well.
Is that just due to the use of a big cam and more lift at the valve?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Is that just due to the use of a big cam and more lift at the valve?
I'm assuming so. I did some more searching on this forum, and found a few threads (can't remember exactly where) that stated that .550 is about the most for stock rockers. I'm sure that I could have shimmed the stockers to get a better pattern....but if I was going to put in all that effort, I just decided to upgrade the whole setup. Besides...this way, my wallet feels lighter
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Updates? Can you reveal the manufacturer?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are Johnson's, I'm pretty sure anyway. I posted a pic of their short travel linkbar with no needle bearings a couple months back.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Nice thread, good info, subscribed.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is screaming for an update. Don't leave it open ended with all of us guesssing. Do you have a part number on the lifters?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcdonald77
This thread is screaming for an update. Don't leave it open ended with all of us guesssing. Do you have a part number on the lifters?
Sorry....forgot about updating this thread actually. Here's an update....I just went out and shot a quick video of my car. Keep in mind that in the NEW video, I have a larger cam from EPS,Fast102,bigger TB, bigger injectors,and the new lifters. Lifters are made by Johnson Lifters. Sorry, I don't have a part number for them, and I'm not sure that they are even available to the public yet. Hopefully, they will be able to answer your questions, as I've been holding out on giving any information out about these for quite some time now....and I've had TONS of email about these. Hopefully, I'm not pissing anyone off by revealing the manufacturer.

Before:

And today.....I forgot to raise the idle at all in the video, but this is about as loud as it gets...you can really hear the difference in the FAST intake.

I've logged about 12k on the car since the cam/lifter/tb/intake swap, and although it might not be obvious, the car is a hell of a lot quieter than it was before.

Last edited by salemetro; 10-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome. But what we need is info on the lifter supplier. I do hear a bit of valvetrain noise in your 2nd video, but not too bad. Your 1st video is exactly what mine sounds like right now.

Quick Reply: First look....new LSX lifters