Mobil 1 or Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Go into the Used Oil Analysis section and search for LS MEASURED RESULTS

When you ask a question like this on almost any car forum all your replies will be based on marketing marketing marketing and a heaping pile of bullshit.
Doesn't have to be that way it is fairly cheap to have the wear metal content of used oil measured and the oils properties measured so you can get a MEASURED result of how it works.
I specify look for LS because an oil can be a quality product but just not work great in a particular application.
Can't seem to search on that forum...can you post a link or results??
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where's all the Penzoil Platinum and German Castrol guys at?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In AUS we tend to recommend Castrol 10W60 over most oils including Mobil 1. Wear analysis have been carried on many cars to prove it works well. But then for you guys climate comes into play a bit more too. Generally we don't worry about snow as we don't get it in cities so thin oils aren't necessary.

FYI Mobil 1 10W30 was OEM for my LS1
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive always used 5w30 but think I'm gonna go with 10w30 this time. The 5w30 seems awful thin but that's what I've always used
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IZRED
Where's all the Penzoil Platinum and German Castrol guys at?
Right here.

But after hearing how much quieter the top end was when I switched to the German Castrol 0w-30, my car will never see anything else as long as I can buy it. Local Autozones stock it and it qualifies for their oil deals whenever Castrol is on sale.

For my truck (5.3), I will use whatever is the best deal at the time (if synthetic is within $10 of conventional or a blend I will get it).

The W rating is the cold "winter" rating, 5w30 is the same as 10w30 once up to temp...I'd rather have the thinner oil get through the block everywhere it needs to go as quick and easy as possible personally.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 03-13-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andy-lswon
Ive always used 5w30 but think I'm gonna go with 10w30 this time. The 5w30 seems awful thin but that's what I've always used

I haven't checked into it recently but a few years back M1 10w-30 was thinner than 5w-30 and 0w-30 it was nearly a 20wt oil.

Go to the link I posted above and do some research.

The "German Castrol" people keep mentioning does VERY well in actual measured testing and while it is a 0w-30 it comes out pretty thick for a 30weight oil. the 30 part means it falls into a RANGE some brands like to stay towards the thin end of the RANGE because when OEMs are picking oils they pick thin to get the extra .01mpg for CAFE.

Which brings up another point, North American oil recommendations are far more CAFE driven than looking out for what is best for the engine.
If you look up oil specs for the same engine sent to another continent the oil recommendation is sometimes different, if you stop and think about the weather extremes just in the continental US weather is not the excuse for the oil recommendation variations.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

M1 5w-30 for the win here. Going on twelve years of ownership with no piston slap or issues of any kind. I just Seafoamed my crankcase and the oil still looks clean on the dipstick. I use the V-Twin formula in my Harley as well, bike couldn't run better.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Lots of cars get bulk oil from the quick lube and never have an oil related problem so such "results" as that are meaningless. Plus without a UOA you don't know it could be on the verge of eating itself.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil1
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple 10w30 50 degrees or more (hot weather) 5w30 49 degrees or less (cold weather)

Last edited by Ronny_02_WS6; 03-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Honestly, if there was one oil that was truly better performance wise, we would ALL have it let's be honest. There really hasn't been a breakthrough. Just find the cheapest name brand synthetic and call it a day.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Honestly, if there was one oil that was truly better performance wise, we would ALL have it let's be honest. There really hasn't been a breakthrough. Just find the cheapest name brand synthetic and call it a day.

Some people will always succumb to their own opinions, prejudices, and ignorance even if God's oil was created.

I remember a thread about Pennzoil Platinum (an oil reported to do very well in oil analysis for ls1 engines) where at least 1 person swore they would never use it because their best friend's brother's cousin's niece's son tore down an engine that ran Pennzoil yellow bottle and "it was nothing but gunk and gel".

But I agree with the spirit of your post. Changing it regularly is more important than what brand goes in. I use the German Castrol because it made my engine quieter (it's silent with the new EPS cam anyway) so it seems to do it's job well and it is the same price as any other synthetic that's on sale.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

How many posting opinions based their opinions or choices on Used Oil Analysis?

People want proof of what performance parts offer but are get pissy when you tell then they are choosing oil on marketing when they do have a means to test it.

It is true that all this talk about what oil is "best" is really splitting hairs but if you are going to spend top dollar why not verify your choice. At least don't push it on other folks without admitting your opinion is 100% marketing driven.

Pennzoil bashing is a decades old idea that IF it was rooted in reality has nothing to do with today.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer Castrol or AMSoil, and avoid RP and M1.
Right now I'm using G-oil, for about the last yr.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
How many posting opinions based their opinions or choices on Used Oil Analysis?

People want proof of what performance parts offer but are get pissy when you tell then they are choosing oil on marketing when they do have a means to test it.

It is true that all this talk about what oil is "best" is really splitting hairs but if you are going to spend top dollar why not verify your choice. At least don't push it on other folks without admitting your opinion is 100% marketing driven.

Pennzoil bashing is a decades old idea that IF it was rooted in reality has nothing to do with today.
My suggestion to use Amsoil is completely based off of oil analysis. 5k miles of hard driving with euro 5w-40 and it was in great shape. Though I will admit that I have never sent any other brand of oil in for analysis.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

My position on Mobil-1 is just based on my experience with Mobil-1. It's flat-out treated me well over the years so I've never really tried anything else. I'm sure there are other good oils out there that I'd probably like just as much, if not more, who knows. I'm pretty sure GM recommends M-1 for LS1 engines so I went with that and never looked back. I don't know about the other oils out there but I'm pretty sure, in an unscientific way, that M-1 has been a good oil. As I mentioned, I've used it for twelve years in my TA and my engine runs perfect. FWIW.

Most of us aren't petroleum engineers or scientists, and/ or haven't had an analysis performed, so it's difficult to offer anything to this question except real world experience, and my real world experience with Mobil-1 is nothing but positive, FWIW.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a fan Schaeffer's. At my last job my boss was a very unorganized person, we had a Impala go 27,xxx miles without an oil change. Put some of the oil in a container and sent it in to an independent joint we used to do analysis on our generator oil, just to see if the Schaeffer's guy was feeding us a line or whether the stuff was God's own urine? Got the results back showed everything was normal, no abnormal readings of any engine metals or poor quality oil. They said that they have many Schaeffer's samples and they always look good and were amazed that the sample we sent them had gone 27,xxx miles, said it looked and read like 7k mile oil. I liked Schaeffer's before that, that pushed me over the edge as a believer. The oil was their 7000 Series in a 5W-20, I use either the 7000 or 9000 series in the Dakota, and when the 5.3 runs, after it's initial break-in for the new bearings it will get Schaeffer's 9000 series as well. Their additive package is pretty good stuff.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Some people will always succumb to their own opinions, prejudices, and ignorance even if God's oil was created.

I remember a thread about Pennzoil Platinum (an oil reported to do very well in oil analysis for ls1 engines) where at least 1 person swore they would never use it because their best friend's brother's cousin's niece's son tore down an engine that ran Pennzoil yellow bottle and "it was nothing but gunk and gel".

But I agree with the spirit of your post. Changing it regularly is more important than what brand goes in. I use the German Castrol because it made my engine quieter (it's silent with the new EPS cam anyway) so it seems to do it's job well and it is the same price as any other synthetic that's on sale.
Yea definitely make sure to change when you need to ! I usually change every 2500 mi.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Redline
Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyelf
My suggestion to use Amsoil is completely based off of oil analysis. 5k miles of hard driving with euro 5w-40 and it was in great shape. Though I will admit that I have never sent any other brand of oil in for analysis.
I have compared AMS and M1 with oil analysis. Its a wash.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 or Royal Purple