Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding Combustion chamber on 317 head

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Done right there should be no issues. Half of the racing heads out there are probably comprised of 20-40% welding rod.

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I would spend the cash and get heads that are for a LS1. Welding 317s may be risky. Whats your budget for ported heads at 59ccs?

I highly doubt AI will do that kind of work for only $150. I have researched their work and they are on the high side for labor.
We're really on the low end for labor taking into account the level of machine work & higher end equipment we run than most shops who cater to enthusiasts.

I am going to have to change it to $200 though due to big increases in welding supplies.

Originally Posted by JS01
Buy some 243/799's. You cant just weld on aluminum heads without doing alot of work. Will probably need new seats/guides & heat treat at a minimum after that much welding and all the machine work that goes with that operation. Aluminum moves around alot while welding/putting alot of heat into it.

No offense, but nope. An experienced guy can also add material without overheating the casting to the point that it pulls features around. I have experienced no more inconsistency in feature locations welding on heads than I see in the huge # of unwelded heads we've cut. Of course, I have no doubt someone who doesn't know what they're doing could possibly put too much heat into it. However, even in those cases if the head is machined after the welding work, there should be no detrimental effects. We may not want to run heads that are dead soft, but hardness is less an issue than many realize. ProMod, TF/FC, PS, etc. are all relatively high cylinder pressure applications, and are welded, remachined, and run again as standard practice.

If you have 317's/241's/etc. then it is a viable option if you can't find 243/799's or just want a smaller chamber. Which option is better for you just depends. For instance, if you have 317's w/ perfect guides vs. a cheap set of 243's that required bronze guides or liners to bring them back into spec...

This is one of our HCR LS1 heads:

Hope that helps!

-Phil
Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about that, I didnt mean to put your pricing out there but $200 seems very affordable if you already have the 317's vs. buying a set of 243's that are bringing $400 these days.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

phili that chamber looks good, I saw them the other day and didn't know you were doing that now. Thats the way to size it and get better shape. Buzz them up 1st, your going to run the program over it anyway Its the internet info great, you have to preheat to 503.1* clamp them to a block, slow cool over 8 hours. There some really fast running stuff out there, thats more weld then casting. And its still alum then some of the poor work people think is good.
Its cool to see you doing this for this price range. Your gona have a lot of good running budget "stock junk" casting then some better castings thats for sure. Just running "cnc" to cut alum dose not mean its improving anything. Good to see someone that cares about heads then just marketing for max profits. I like what i've seen with your vj and bowl work on the 243s. Got any pics of the top of the ssr on your 241s thats the next spot that need some work. Your right about the 241s, I got piles of them, can't beat the price when people that don't want them anymore. free-$40 sets

Last edited by studderin; 04-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

That HCR 241 above looks badass

Quick Reply: Welding Combustion chamber on 317 head